WEST VIRGINIA University of Charleston 2017-2018 Cycle

26 minutes ago, dsheppard2 said:

Well, I heard back and I will not be invited for an interview. I will talk with Pam to see where I need to improve. I'm guessing I wasn't invited because I do not have a ton of volunteer experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear that! I had maybe about 400-500ish volunteer hours. 

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, leggopaschool said:

Just got invited for an interview for Aug 28-29. Sent in my supplemental on 6/23.

Did anyone get an interview date between the 8/9 and 8/28 dates?

Hi! There is talk that there will be another interview session August 22-23.

1 hour ago, smythso said:

If I got an interview last year, should I re-write my supplemental completely? Or submit the same one since it got me an interview last year? What does everyone think? Thank you.

If you think the supplemental you wrote last year is still relevant and well-written, you don't necessarily have to change it. Just know that the criteria to be granted an interview has changed this year, so if you were invited for an interview last year it doesn't automatically mean you will get one this year. If you think there is room for improvement, I would re-write it :)

2 hours ago, smythso said:

If I got an interview last year, should I re-write my supplemental completely? Or submit the same one since it got me an interview last year? What does everyone think? Thank you.

I changed mine a little bit, but essentially mine was the same. I was invited to interview again, so take that for what it's worth. 

I'm about to submit my CASPA application tomorrow.  Can anyone tell me what is needed for the supplemental application?  I'm trying to get an idea of how much time is needed since the deadline is quickly approaching.

It is two short essays, it shouldn't take you long.

4 hours ago, smythso said:

I personally would change it just cause they have the ability to see last year's application and if they notice you kept the same essay, that may count against you in a major way. 

11 hours ago, vucious said:

I'm about to submit my CASPA application tomorrow.  Can anyone tell me what is needed for the supplemental application?  I'm trying to get an idea of how much time is needed since the deadline is quickly approaching.

When I wrote mine it was 2 pages long, double spaced. It depends on how quick you are in regards to writing/ applying. Are you a perfectionist that agonizes over every sentence? If not, it shouldn't take you long at all! :)

19 hours ago, twototango said:

If you think the supplemental you wrote last year is still relevant and well-written, you don't necessarily have to change it. Just know that the criteria to be granted an interview has changed this year, so if you were invited for an interview last year it doesn't automatically mean you will get one this year. If you think there is room for improvement, I would re-write it :)

Thanks for responding! Do you know what part of the criteria changed? I don't remember the exact percentages from last year.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:09 PM, smythso said:

Thanks for responding! Do you know what part of the criteria changed? I don't remember the exact percentages from last year.

I'm sorry, I don't! Pam just told me it's based on a point system and that they made it harder this year to qualify for an interview just because we anticipated many more applicants this cycle.

Are you talking about the application analysis process in regards to "percentages"?

Looking forward to meeting all of you that are coming the 17th-18th!!! 

If you're staying at Four Points, you're walking distance from Capitol Street (Charleston's downtown) and there are plenty of options there :) Some things I'll mention...my favorite for casual eating is Pies & Pints,  Ellen's has delicious homemade ice cream, and Taylor Books is a cute coffee shop with really good scones, muffins, quiches, etc. 

Steph

Archived