Ortho Surg Offer

Hello,

I am a soon to be new graduate, after an interview day and a shadow day, got offered an ortho surg position. 

The details:

Orthopedic private practice with an agreement to a hospital 50-60 miles west of Philly. 

Salary: 85,000 with an increase to 90,000 at 6 months.

Bonus: annual bonus including the first year at the end of the year, however it is completely subjective. Ranges 3k-7k. Current PA says the bonus is solid and always get a good amount.

Vacation: 3 weeks 

PTO: 5 days, can be combined in vacation

CME: one week per year, $2,000 per year

Malpractice covered: occurence 

Food allowance: $150  per month at the hospital

Medical: 80% covered, dental and vision covered at full. 

Cell phone: $600 a year

DEA/Licensure/certification covered by employer.

3 months of training paid at full salary. 

Call is 1 in 7 weekends for half day in the morning if there are no cases (go home with pager) and one day a week. After weekend call, you get one day off the following week, anyday.

50/50 OR/clinic.

PSPA, and any other organizations fees are covered. 

Thinking about countering about 10% of the salary more. Philly is very saturated, but I want to make sure I am getting what I should. I have a year of outpt PT experience before PA school.

Any advice! Thanks!

For comparison I just graduated and accepted an Ortho position in the southeast.

Base: 87,000

Bonus: 20% collections after I bring in 2.5 my salary. Was told by multiple PAs this bonus is usually at least 10K with several of the busy PAs with full schedules saying there bonus is more than their base.

4 weeks PTO

1 week CME with $3,000 CME

$90 a month to cover cell phone

401K with match

Standard Health

Covers short term disability

Call is every sixth weekend I believe.

After one year can get either increase in base or increase in % bonus.

There are stuff that I wish were better and more similar to yours but this at least gives you another new grad Ortho offer to compare to.

My class mate took an Ortho job as well and was 92K base with 2 weeks PTO and a week CME with $2000.

So I need to let her know in the next couple days. Any other opinions on if this offer sounds decent would be greatly appreciated! I do think it sounds like a solid offer.

In addition to the compensation, which sounds good, do you think it's a good first job? Do they seem supportive and new grad-friendly? Have they hired new grads before? What kind of retention or turnover do they have for their PAs? Have you met with the surgeon(s)? These are important factors as well. Good luck!

Archived