Nightmare job

Hi guys,

I've been working for the past six months and I'm having the worse experience of my life. I often feel like a personal assistant and wondering if I made the worse decision of my life. Please let me know if I'm just a complainer or am I selling my self short. Should I leave this job with that little experience ? I've spoken up about it, but nothing is being done.

Here's the Initial description

-3 days surgery 2 office days starting anywhere from 8:30-10 am

-Driving multiple location with a 30 min drive from home, 45 mins on occasion.

- PA for 1 doc

-daily role: H&Ps, rounding 2 weekend says per month, surgical assisting and help with office visits.

Here's what I'm actually doing

Hours begin at 6:30 /7:30 or anytime after

I have no scheduled admin time

I'm helping develop to develop two doc specialty and my responsibility involves having to market to pts inbetween cases using my cellphone ( 15 pts a week avg 30-40 min calls).

-Now, I work for 2 docs and 3 more coming, so I'll be a PA for 5 doc by the summer ( no hiring has taken place).

-If I work 60 hours one week and next week get to leave at 12-1 pm any day I get in trouble. So no less than 40 hrs but always greater with no additional pay.

- meetings are scheduled after work hours with no pay

- currently I've been asked to drive 1hr 30 mins from my home.

- Today I got an email to do research over the weekend for one doc to present at a meeting that we all have.

I'm so overwhelmed, I have a family and I took the job based on the initial agreement and now I don't know what to do.

Do I just say no and not drive 1hr 30 min? Do I say no im not doing the project? I have been making them aware and they say ok but then schedule me for theses things.

Please help

Learn to say no.

Doc wants me to do research?  Nope, busy that night.  Busy all weekend. Gotta wash my hair.

Want me there at 6:30?  Sorry, gotta get my kids ready for school.  I'll be there at 8:30.

Go to scheduler and start limiting your appointments.

And, of course, have a chat with your boss.  You signed on for $XX to do YY, but now you're expected to do ZZZZZZZ.  "I love my job, and I'm very appreciative for the opportunity you've given me, but I am not able to do everything I am being asked to do."

new grad or expereienced?

prior expereince?

jobs in your area?

so if you are new grad you can not leave in less then one year (IMHO)

If not a new grad, and even in new grad I would rec the following

1-meet with HR

2- bring in your written contract 

3-bring in exact specific details of what you are doing each week

4-bring in a solution of what you are willing to do

the elephant in the room is you quiting, it will become obvious that is the alternative very quickly so you don't even have to say it

Be positive, stress the things you like about you job and then the things you would like to see improved on and suggest how to improve them

I think making people drive between locations is fine, but you should get mileage and be on the clock (yup both)

you can only be taken advantage of if you let them...... start having "appointments & commitments" you have to make at the end of the day and leave....

if they start to say you are responsible for building the practice polite state that you are not an owner and that you are and employee

I graduated 2016. I should add that I have no contract.

I had a meeting about all the above stated things and nothing has changed. Instead they keep finding additional things for me to do.

I agree Rev, I hate being salaried. Can I negotiate hourly pay if an employer states that they pay salary? Because I didn't know i had that option.

I graduated 2016. I should add that I have no contract.

I had a meeting about all the above stated things and nothing has changed. Instead they keep finding additional things for me to do.

I agree Rev, I hate being salaried. Can I negotiate hourly pay if an employer states that they pay salary? Because I didn't know i had that option.

You fall under the category of "exempt" salaried which means that they can ASK anything of you without having to offer additional financial reimbursement.

Anything is up for negotiation - but seems like chances of that with this group are slim to none. I would start looking for another job if you have done what was mentioned above to no avail. Also always get a contract or something in writing that everyone signs with your basic salary, benefits, etc for the future. I would never take a job without something in writing. Being salaried without a contract is the worst of both worlds - no opportunity for pay for extra time worked and no contract to counter back with when you are being overworked beyond what was proposed and agreed upon.

One additional thing that I didn't mention. I did try to look for a job earlier on, and apparently the job called my job by accident. I was brought into see HR and the office Lawyer they told me I cost a lot of money and basically tried to intimidated me into staying. So, I've been feeling pretty stuck since.

So I'm guessing I'm stuck for 6 more months or until someone is ok hiring me with so little experience.

I get gas reimbursement but it's not worth all the miles I put on my car.

In addition to all the childcare cost because of the shift changes and being so far from home. I cry sometimes because of all the money I spend just to be at the job now that my student loans are due.

Can you give me your clinic phone number?  I am going to call them and see if they will have you come wash my car.

Oh, my yard needs mowed too.  If you do it then I can make it to the lake a little earlier.

If you're going to do everything they tell you to do, no matter how ridiculous...then you're going to get taken advantage of.

I mean...a doctor wants YOU to do THEIR research for THEIR presentation?  I'm not your damn secretary or unpaid intern...

JUST SAY NO!  I'm guessing you would say no if they told you to come mow my yard (Gawd I HOPE you would say no), so start saying NO in the office for other things.  It's going to be difficult at first because you've become the yes-guy, but you can do it.  FIRST...don't agree to take on ANYTHING ELSE.  

Set a goal to work NO MORE THAN 50 hours next week.  Find a reason to come into work at a reasonable hour instead of 0630.  Find a reason to leave work at a reasonable hour.  Don't answer the phone when they call you....and call them back an hour later and say you were busy with your spouse.

Tell the doc who wants you to do their research that you have plans with your family over the weekend and won't have time to help with his research project.

Make HALF as many "marketing" phone calls next week as you made this week. 

These guys probably make $600K a year, you're probably making $80K a year.  If they want to work 16 hour days then let them, cause they can retire comfortably in 20 years.  You can't.

Buy the book "Boundaries"....cause you NEED to learn how to set boundaries.

Either that, or I'll see you early tomorrow morning at my house to show you where the lawn-mower is.

so if you are new grad you can not leave in less then one year (IMHO)

Normally I would agree with this, in every field, but at the same time a person has to look out for themselves.  Sometimes it's better to cut your losses if you have a good explanation for leaving (or at least looking).

OP, if you think you need to stick it out for 6 more months, you should be looking for jobs NOW.  By the time a resume makes it across a hiring managers desk it could be several months and interview processes can take months themselves.  If someone is concerned that you're jumping ship have a good explanation ready: the employer didn't make clear the true job responsibilities clear and you're on a fast road to burnout if you keep this pace.  You've expressed your concerns and they have fallen on deaf ears.  From your description, you're spending more time commuting and playing secretary than you are practicing medicine - as a new grad, I consider that reason enough to leave.  

You fall under the category of "exempt" salaried which means that they can ASK anything of you without having to offer additional financial reimbursement.

not necessarily true - is a regional thing and depends on contract and state and federal case law in your jurisdiction 

• Administrator

The answer will vary by state, but regardless of whether they HAVE to pay overtime, you can negotiate it into a contract.  Of course, they can say "no" and hire the next unsuspecting new grad who will work an undefined number of hours for a fixed price.

You are completely being taken advantage of.  Why in the world as a medical professional are you doing marketing calls?  Ridiculous.  Asking you to drive those extreme distances is a problem too.

The problem is partly the nature of our employment.  Most docs are reasonable and know what reasonable expectations are, but I have seen many circumstances such as yours where we are seen as an employee that can be asked to do anything and for any amount of hours, not as a professional.  I have even experienced it myself.  I agree you need to start saying these are the hours I can work, such as 8-6, something where you are working 40-50 hours a week.  We should not be expected to work as much as they do, as a previous poster said they make probably six times what you do.  Presentations and etc should be paid extra for your preparation time, unless you are doing everything during your working hours during the day.   I would go back and say I would be happy to do that for you at 100 dollars per hour since I will be taking my personal time to prepare this.  Also you have no contract but the office lawyer is trying to intimidate you?  Not sure with what if there is not contract.  

As a new grad it is really tough, you need to work and you want them to be happy with you, I get it.  This is unfortunately a downside of our profession and can happen too easily because we are dependent providers and honestly right out of school there is a huge learning curve and we cannnot hit the ground running.  There are better situations and you will find one, I would start putting my resume out there, you may be at the one year mark by the time the right position opens up.  Best of luck to you.

Sounds eerily familiar to what my position has become in the last year. Saying no is futile, in my opinion. They'll think you're a prima donna. You can try it as long as you're ready to leave after your year is up. I complained once, and it wasn't pretty. Eventually settled. 

I'm jumping ship. I only have one life and one bank account, and I'm not sacrificing my life for another person's bank account.

Update-

I spoke up and said I wouldnt be able to give a live web presentation and I didn't feel comfortable being recorded in my personal home especially given the time and the fact that I had a toddler at home, it would seem unprofessional.

The next day they let me go and said it was because I am not a good fit given the circumstances. The hours and requirements would not change or the long distance of travel therefore they are letting me go.

Im actually very happy, just a bit afraid of the unknown but happy.

Update-

I spoke up and said I wouldnt be able to give a live web presentation and I didn't feel comfortable being recorded in my personal home especially given the time and the fact that I had a toddler at home, it would seem unprofessional.

The next day they let me go and said it was because I am not a good fit given the circumstances. The hours and requirements would not change or the long distance of travel therefore they are letting me go.

Im actually very happy, just a bit afraid of the unknown but happy.

Keep us posted.

I bet you will get a better job within 3 months.

This brings up another point:  EVERYONE should have 3-6 months of expenses in a non-retirement savings account for moments like this.  It's amazing the level of security that this can provide.

For example:  Few weeks ago I'm at my primary contract job and an issue came up.  I told my boss that since it seemed they didn't want to fix this issue, I would work through my scheduled shifts but was going to start looking elsewhere. Unfortunately, right now I'm kinda short on other options (frequently have multiple offers in the wings, but none right now), but I was thinking I would take most of the summer off as I looked.  About 3 hours later I got called back into boss' office and was told they were fixing the issue, and asked me to stay.

Money = time & security.  Make sure you have enough.

Whoa. I am glad you are happy, but that's pretty scary. You stood up for yourself and they just fired you . . . Scary.

I agree, they aren't good people, which Is why I was trying to leave in the first place. I'm trying to stay positive but there has to be something better out there for me.

Archived