I think most of us would agree that it's the pace that makes it difficult. Generally the content isn't difficult it's just how fast we are expected to learn it.

My study habits are not ideal but generally I won't study at all until 3-4 days before an exam. During those days, I study most of the evening and late into the night. A lot depends on the class. For pharmacology I relisten to all of the lectures and make my own notes, so if there were say 20 hours of lecture I probably spend 40-50 hours studying outside for it. But there are only 3 pharm exams in the semester (and the class is only 2 credit hours and is curved based on the class average), so it's possible to spread this pain out. And loads of people understand it without having to relisten which saves time. For Clin Med I'd say 10-20 hours total of studying for an exam, and those exams are 2-3 weeks apart. Those are the main time sucks in Fall. 

It mostly depends on what kind of learner you are and how quickly you process information. I very slowly sift through the lectures but other people absorb everything in class like a sponge. 

I just looked and our orientation began May 31. Classes started June 5. 

Just now, Jabrosie20 said:

Thanks very much for your quick reply, alykat05. What do you find most challenging about PA school? Is it the content? How many hours/week would you say you spend studying, outside of class time? 

Also, 2018 start dates aren't out yet. For those of you who are PA-1, do you recall the date the program started in May 2017. We are trying to plan maternity/paternity leave and without this info, it's making things a little bit more challenging to plan. Thank you!

Hey Jabrosie20,

We started right after Memorial Day for the first semester.  Dual degree students start a little earlier.  And by "started," I mean we had orientation for three days Memorial Day Wednesday-Friday.  Classes started on the following Monday.  I would think it will be similar for you.  The program often does calendars, etc. later than folks like us might like - in other words, those of us struggling to juggle families, etc.  It can be a little frustrating, but they are pretty consistent year-to-year, so our schedule should be a good guide.

I put in less time some weeks than I should - but I would say I average 4 hours a night during the week.  I take all of Saturday and Saturday night off and do about 4 hours on Sunday.  It's a lot, but it is manageable.  I have maintained some semblance of a family life.  Some nights I don't study at all because I am too tired or I want to go out and see friends.  

The challenge with having a small infant will be ensuring your husband gets adequate sleep.  Sleep deprivation has been a struggle for me - we have class very early most mornings, so you need to get up at dawn and add commuting time in, and then a lot of days we don't finish until 3 or 4 o'clock (sometimes later).  It can make for some long days.  Having your parents or others help prepare meals and if you can focus on the baby will be a tremendous help to him.  What town do your parents live in?  Money is always a factor, but some commutes will be so lousy in this area, might want to bite the bullet and have him get a place closer to town when he needs to be at school.  A few people come from Baltimore and other places and it can be hellish -- don't know how familiar you are with the area and its many, many traffic issues. 

I am always here for a sounding board if he or you want to talk.  Feel free to DM me or write me at my email address.  

Congratulations on PA school and best wishes for your newest family member!

17 minutes ago, Jabrosie20 said:

Thanks very much for your quick reply, alykat05. What do you find most challenging about PA school? Is it the content? How many hours/week would you say you spend studying, outside of class time? 

Also, 2018 start dates aren't out yet. For those of you who are PA-1, do you recall the date the program started in May 2017. We are trying to plan maternity/paternity leave and without this info, it's making things a little bit more challenging to plan. Thank you!

I realize I forgot to answer the housing question - yes, there's no graduate student "on campus" housing but I live in the unofficial student housing which is a large apartment complex about three blocks from campus.  $$$$$ but close.  I have a tiny studio that I pay too much for, but it's been good.  

Guest Scott1234

I have a few questions regarding the merit based scholarships GW offers. From my understanding, the program offers a few merit based scholarships, ranging from $3,500 to $7,000 a semester. Since there are 6 semesters, this would work out to 25-50% of tuition if it were awarded for each of the 6 semesters. Is this how the scholarship works? Also, which type of students receive this scholarship? Finally, when do students who receive this scholarship find out? Any information is greatly appreciated (and I imagine there are other students on this forum interested in this as well).

On 12/17/2017 at 8:49 PM, kac1503 said:

Does anyone in the program live in North Arlington? If so, which neighborhood would you recommend? I know it’s an expensive area but I figured you would probably get a cheaper and bigger apartment than in D.C. and the metro seems pretty convenient.

Hi there!

I live in the Courthouse section of Arlington. The apartments that I found in this area were much cheaper than other areas of Arlington and I wanted to be close to a Metro Station. My one bedroom is pretty spacious and has free parking, which is a rare find for this area. I will say that Courthouse is much quieter than I originally thought, but Rosslyn, Clarendon, Pentagon City, and Crystal City are much busier. However, I found those neighborhoods to be more expensive.

• Upvote 1

I lived in Courthouse my first year as well and I liked it. Rosslyn is more expensive, as are certain parts of Clarendon (which is very "bro-ey" with undergrads as well...)

To circle back a bit to the "what's the hardest part of PA school." As mentioned above the pace is tough but what I generally tell people when asked is that it grinds down your self esteem. You come into it feeling smart and accomplished and the first year can feel a bit like the program is going out of its way to say "lol no you're not." Hence why not studying all the time is recommended, you need to take care of yourself. And remember your goal: to pass so you can become a PA-C, not to have a perfect GPA. I would agree that 3-4 hours a day was about what I averaged, increasing as tests got closer. Clinical year is much better work-life balance-wise, and from what I've heard from friends with families they are pretty accommodating of that when deciding your clinical sites. I think it will be wonderful for your husband to have a wife and kiddo at home. (Congratulations! I just finished my OBGYN rotation and pregnant moms are great. Seeing baby on ultrasound was always a ton of fun. :) Happy for all of you! )

I just received an email that my decision was available online and I was placed on the waitlist. Anybody that was waitlisted last year have any insight as to how soon the first people will get off the waitlist or how long I should wait? I have my spot held at another school that starts at the same time, and while I would attend GW over this program in a heartbeat, there's only so long that I can wait before trying to find a roommate/apartment and applying for scholarships... any advice is super helpful!

1 hour ago, PAtoBe369 said:

Me too! I'm still very hopeful as GW is my top choice. Does anyone know of someone who got off the waitlist for the joint degree program?

Lots of people get off the waitlist.  They are not allowed to tell you your exact spot, but if you talk to Erin, she may give you an indication that you are high up on the list (call after the holidays)!  I don't know specifics about the dual degree program, but people started getting pulled in January all the way up beginning of May (if they wanted to hang in that long).  Don't give up!

• Upvote 1

Off the waitlist January 26th, 2016 here (but who's keeping track)

People do get rejected after the interview. I know there were definitely some people when I was an interviewer last year that I talked to the faculty about and we were like, "yeah, that person's not coming here."

Erin takes pride in writing good, sensitive decision letters. I complimented her on the exact same thing :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WonderWall said:

It looks like waitlist decisions were sent before either acceptance or rejection decisions. This seems unusual. Any ideas on why that might be?

I don't know if that is true, as my husband received an acceptance decision letter on 12/13/2017. He interviewed on Saturday,, 11/4/17. Good luck to you! I hope you hear something soon! 

On 12/19/2017 at 6:34 PM, GWUlian said:

I lived in Courthouse my first year as well and I liked it. Rosslyn is more expensive, as are certain parts of Clarendon (which is very "bro-ey" with undergrads as well...)

To circle back a bit to the "what's the hardest part of PA school." As mentioned above the pace is tough but what I generally tell people when asked is that it grinds down your self esteem. You come into it feeling smart and accomplished and the first year can feel a bit like the program is going out of its way to say "lol no you're not." Hence why not studying all the time is recommended, you need to take care of yourself. And remember your goal: to pass so you can become a PA-C, not to have a perfect GPA. I would agree that 3-4 hours a day was about what I averaged, increasing as tests got closer. Clinical year is much better work-life balance-wise, and from what I've heard from friends with families they are pretty accommodating of that when deciding your clinical sites. I think it will be wonderful for your husband to have a wife and kiddo at home. (Congratulations! I just finished my OBGYN rotation and pregnant moms are great. Seeing baby on ultrasound was always a ton of fun. :) Happy for all of you! )

Hi Julian, 

Just seeing this now! Thank you so much for your insight and sharing your experience. It's so helpful for us as we try to plan for childcare, etc. to have a clearer picture of what life really is like as a student in the program. Funny, I assumed clinical year was worse from a work-life balance perspective. We had read somewhere that clinical year is like being a resident...70 hour work weeks. I don't think it was talking about GW's program specifically, but just the PA year in general. I am somewhat relieved that this may not be the case. Thank you for your well wishes! I'm glad you enjoyed the OB/GYN rotation :)!  

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2018 at 4:20 PM, WonderWall said:

For those applicants waitlisted, were you asked to confirm your spot on the waitlist? Do you know how many on the waitlist? Thank you!

I was waitlisted, and unlike other schools, they did not ask to confirm. So I guess just bite your fingernails until your fingertips are bloody stumps until August. 

That’s my plan anyway.