4 minutes ago, peej4 said:

They make you sign a non-disclosure so details don't escape the interviews. Don't stress about the writing, it's not something you can really prepare for, it is simply another tool used to make sure you are able to critically think and articulate thoughts at a reasonably competent level. I didn't finish my "essay", nor think it was particularly strong, and I received an acceptance offer last week.  

I have participated in several MMI style interviews, and GWs questions definitely focused more on critical thinking than other schools. Talk through your thought process to the interviewer and you will be fine. Ask for clarification if you need it, none of the questions are there to trick you. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride, by getting an interview you have already shown you are a strong candidate.

when did you interview?

Hey everyone,

I am currently a PA-1at GW and there are a lot of great classmates answering questions here.  I am a "non-traditional" student (read: older), so if you are in that boat - you know, married with/without kids or you are coming to this in your 30s (or God forbid, older!) after another career, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions about PA school in general or the GW program.  Best of luck with interviews and the rest of the process!  

Email me at whatchugoingtodo@gmail.com.  

Edited by deecee
type in my email address
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, peej4 said:

They make you sign a non-disclosure so details don't escape the interviews. Don't stress about the writing, it's not something you can really prepare for, it is simply another tool used to make sure you are able to critically think and articulate thoughts at a reasonably competent level. I didn't finish my "essay", nor think it was particularly strong, and I received an acceptance offer last week.  

I have participated in several MMI style interviews, and GWs questions definitely focused more on critical thinking than other schools. Talk through your thought process to the interviewer and you will be fine. Ask for clarification if you need it, none of the questions are there to trick you. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride, by getting an interview you have already shown you are a strong candidate.

Thanks, that's helpful! and congrats!!

14 minutes ago, omo123 said:

Good afternoon, My application still says under review. I called GW and they said they are are still reviewing applicatin

When did you interview? They said at my interview that all the final decisions from the four interviews would be made in December. Some acceptances have already been sent out and there will be some sent out next week from interview sessions 3 and 4. 

On 11/16/2017 at 8:26 PM, deecee said:

Hey everyone,

I am currently a PA-1at GW and there are a lot of great classmates answering questions here.  I am a "non-traditional" student (read: older), so if you are in that boat - you know, married with/without kids or you are coming to this in your 30s (or God forbid, older!) after another career, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions about PA school in general or the GW program.  Best of luck with interviews and the rest of the process!  

Email me at watchugoingtodo@gmail.com.  

Hi deecee,

I have been following this thread for a little while and finally joined.  I am also a "non-traditional" student (in the "God-forbid category, ha ha!)  I interviewed on Oct. 21 and received my acceptance on Nov. 8.  I am super-excited but also a little terrified about being able to handle the program because I have a family and kids.  I would appreciate any advice.  I will definitely email you, but I wanted to post here to introduce myself and see what advice others might also have.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, loftysea said:

I interviewed on 11/18! They told us then that some people would hear decisions the week after Thanksgiving, and all admissions decisions would be sent out in December (though they didn't specify when in December).

Oh okay! I was just wondering. I interviewed 11/4 and they said the same thing but I was just wondering if all the early acceptances would only be sent out today, it seems like you guys all received the acceptance at the same time. 

45 minutes ago, kmonjaras said:

I received an acceptance today as well! Congratulations everyone, I am so excited to meet everyone. Does anyone know how/where to send in all of the requested material and deposit?

Congratulations! I can’t wait to meet you too!

When I was offered my acceptance this October, I had to respond to the admissions offer online in the portal. The next day after that I got an email that confirmed I accepted the offer and it had information on how to pay the deposit. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2017 at 1:27 PM, mae21 said:

Hi deecee,

I have been following this thread for a little while and finally joined.  I am also a "non-traditional" student (in the "God-forbid category, ha ha!)  I interviewed on Oct. 21 and received my acceptance on Nov. 8.  I am super-excited but also a little terrified about being able to handle the program because I have a family and kids.  I would appreciate any advice.  I will definitely email you, but I wanted to post here to introduce myself and see what advice others might also have.

Hey there mae21!  Congratulations on your offer!  I was really floored when I got in to the program last year and I was also terrified. I am married with two kids and left a long-term career to do this. It's all manageable with a lot of support and planning.  Definitely happy to send you my number offline and we can talk there!

19 hours ago, kac1503 said:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to meet you too!

When I was offered my acceptance this October, I had to respond to the admissions offer online in the portal. The next day after that I got an email that confirmed I accepted the offer and it had information on how to pay the deposit. 

I just got that email! Thank you so much for helping with that I was worried at first when I didn't see it. Congratulations on your acceptance as well. Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of our class :D

• Upvote 2

After interviewing at another school I have some questions for current GWU student that I didn't think to ask during my interview. 

What does the schedule look like for didactic year? Is it a set 8-5 Monday to Friday or does it change?

Is there a dress code for didactic year?

Another school I interviewed at had an impressive Sim Lab and used standardized patients as learning tools. Does GWU offer similar services?

12 minutes ago, Boeke said:

After interviewing at another school I have some questions for current GWU student that I didn't think to ask during my interview. 

What does the schedule look like for didactic year? Is it a set 8-5 Monday to Friday or does it change?

Is there a dress code for didactic year?

Another school I interviewed at had an impressive Sim Lab and used standardized patients as learning tools. Does GWU offer similar services?

In general we are expected to be available 8-5 M-F as sometimes they need to move things around. Some days are shorter. For example, next week we start at 10 on 3 days. Yesterday we finished at noon. But in general it's at least 9-4 every day.

Definitely no dress code. We all wear leggings. 

We've done four or so standardized patients this semester and will have more next semester. We also have lab just to practice techniques on each other. 

On 12/1/2017 at 1:04 PM, alykat05 said:

In general we are expected to be available 8-5 M-F as sometimes they need to move things around. Some days are shorter. For example, next week we start at 10 on 3 days. Yesterday we finished at noon. But in general it's at least 9-4 every day.

Definitely no dress code. We all wear leggings. 

We've done four or so standardized patients this semester and will have more next semester. We also have lab just to practice techniques on each other. 

I'd add to that a few points based upon how the program is structured now:

1.  During the summer there is a lab from 6-8p one evening a week (not Friday).

2.  There are a few weekends they require you to be here.  Not many, but two in the Spring, both in March-April timeframe.

3.   Standardized patients are not that helpful, in my experience.  Real people are the best practice you can get.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 8:26 PM, deecee said:

Hey everyone,

Email me at whatchugoingtodo@gmail.com.  

@GWUlian and @alykat05, thank you so much for sharing your experiences as first year students! It's been very helpful to read through them and gain insight. 

@deecee, thank you for sharing your non-traditional/older self :). My husband just received his acceptance letter this week and he, I suppose, would be considered "older" (late 20s). We are expecting our first baby in February, so when he starts the program in May 2018, we'll have a 3-month old. I am a bit nervous that I am going to be a single parent for the two years that he's in the program. Since the program is from 8a-4p every day and he'll be taking the Metro in/out of the city (we are living with family during this time frame to minimize debt), would you say that you spend every waking hour not in school studying/doing school related things? Any advice on how you've managed to juggle it all? Thank you for any wisdom you can share. 

Also, there is no on-campus housing anywhere for PA students, correct? I assume most live in apartments nearby. 

Thank you, all! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jabrosie20 said:

would you say that you spend every waking hour not in school studying/doing school related things?

I don't have a family, but I can answer this part. NO! No, I do not. There are literally some weeks when I don't open a book at all. 

PA school is HARD. It requires a lot of studying. That being said, it's manageable and there has to be a a balance. Would I be better served if I studied every single day? Probably. But it's definitely not required to do well. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, alykat05 said:

I don't have a family, but I can answer this part. NO! No, I do not. There are literally some weeks when I don't open a book at all. 

PA school is HARD. It requires a lot of studying. That being said, it's manageable and there has to be a a balance. Would I be better served if I studied every single day? Probably. But it's definitely not required to do well. 

Thanks very much for your quick reply, alykat05. What do you find most challenging about PA school? Is it the content? How many hours/week would you say you spend studying, outside of class time? 

Also, 2018 start dates aren't out yet. For those of you who are PA-1, do you recall the date the program started in May 2017. We are trying to plan maternity/paternity leave and without this info, it's making things a little bit more challenging to plan. Thank you!