There was no essay-- just demographic information and a supplemental fee...these fees are killing me! Also, the GW website says the supp fee is $60, but the supp application asks for $75. I emailed the program about this discrepancy and they refunded me $15! I'm not sure if they've fixed the error on the website/application yet, but just FYI

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear anything yet regarding their application being received?

I went to an info session for GW a little while back and they said that they don't start reviewing until July. So maybe this is why it's taking so long? I just submitted some apps yesterday so I'm hoping the turnaround for verification will be quick. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Good luck this year. I am a current PA1 at GWU so I was in your shoes last year. I know applications are really stressful but hang in there! I'm attaching my sequence of events so everyone has kind of a very rough timeline. 

July 5: GW app submitted

July 8: Confirmation of received supplemental

July 15: Notification app is under review 

October 13: Interview invitation (we were assigned a day) 

October 29: Interview (MMI style)

December 22: Decision available online

January 5: Notification of ongoing waitlist review

January 11: Pull from waitlist

That was my timeline last year, I don't know if it will change at all this year. As you can see, you hear almost nothing between when you submit and when you are invited to interview. That was the case for a lot of my schools so don't panic if you don't hear anything. Feel free to send me any questions you may have about the application process or the program!

• Upvote 8

In the "under review" email, it says: 

• Interview invitations will be sent out approximately two weeks prior to interview date.
  • Interviews are held on the main campus at Foggy Bottom – Washington DC, typically on Saturdays during the fall semester, from September to December. You can read more about our interview format on our website.  

Based on this, it sounds like the earliest an interview email would come would be late August?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all I'm Julian and I'm a second year PA student at GW, currently wrapping up my emergency medicine rotation. Happy to field any questions as well, or you can look through the 2016-2017 application thread for my thoughts from last year. Good luck! Applying is really stressful and sucks.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:08 PM, GWUlian said:

Hi all I'm Julian and I'm a second year PA student at GW, currently wrapping up my emergency medicine rotation. Happy to field any questions as well, or you can look through the 2016-2017 application thread for my thoughts from last year. Good luck! Applying is really stressful and sucks.

How often if even will GW accept an applicant with a GPA below the requirement?

Hmmm if you live in Virginia that cuts down on extra costs. Are you within Metro distance of the school? Parking in Foggy Bottom is very expensive I would not recommend driving. I can't think of anything major that you would spend money on outside of living expenses and school. Budget for Metro and a few hundred dollars for books and supplies? Like I said I can't think of any major expenses outside of living and tuition, you can pretty much keep it down to those if you want to. You can save a lot of money by getting an ophthalmoscope and otoscope second hand instead of dropping $700 on brand new ones. Stethoscope I use a $40 RA Bock one which works just as well as a Littmann Cardiology for half the cost.

The majority of the school's rotations are withing 50 miles of Foggy Bottom, but there's sites up and down the East Coast and a few in California and Hawaii. You get an opportunity to indicate your preferences and they try as best they can to accommodate them. They also generally offer 2 or 3 rotations where you can "self ID" sites in certain specialties. There are 8 clinical blocks, each lasting 6 weeks. 7 are mandatory (primary care, peds, internal med, emergency, surgery, women's health, psych) and you get one elective rotation. It will definitely help your networking to do rotations in the DMV: some of my friends have already gotten job offers from their preceptors. The GWPA program is also well known and well regarded around here--I've gotten several comments on clinicals that GW students stand out compared to other PA or even med students.

In terms of other pros and cons...well, obviously, it's very challenging and you go through a lot of material very fast. It's doable but you have to work hard and be disciplined. DC summers are hot and humid and DC is very expensive to live in. But it's also a lot of fun and a very unique city. I've definitely had my struggles here but I've never regretted my choice to come to GW. My favorite part is the people you get to meet and learn from, both peers and faculty. We're a family.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering the school does not censor or dictate to us what to say on here, and it won't affect your application in any way. They want good people, not suck ups.

• Upvote 2

On 7/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, alykat05 said:

Hi everyone! Good luck this year. I am a current PA1 at GWU so I was in your shoes last year. I know applications are really stressful but hang in there! I'm attaching my sequence of events so everyone has kind of a very rough timeline. 

July 5: GW app submitted

July 8: Confirmation of received supplemental

July 15: Notification app is under review 

October 13: Interview invitation (we were assigned a day) 

October 29: Interview (MMI style)

December 22: Decision available online

January 5: Notification of ongoing waitlist review

January 11: Pull from waitlist

That was my timeline last year, I don't know if it will change at all this year. As you can see, you hear almost nothing between when you submit and when you are invited to interview. That was the case for a lot of my schools so don't panic if you don't hear anything. Feel free to send me any questions you may have about the application process or the program!

Thank you so much for this helpful timeline! Can you elaborate on what you mean by decision made available online? Do they let everyone know on the same day of their acceptance/rejection/waitlist? Or do you find out a few weeks after your interview depending on the date?