Arizona: Northern Arizona University 2017-2018 application cycle

33 minutes ago, stonegyrl said:

No word from NAU, I was a late applicant but was interviewed last cycle and waitlisted. No interview this cycle emoji17.png no chance given... I have not gotten an email response from Kay when I asked about my status either and that was Jan 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to hear the position you’re in, sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat. If you don’t mind me asking what place were you on the waitlist last year? I got waitlisted this year and I’m wondering if I should reapply or if there is even a chance of getting in after being waitlisted? 

I appreciate your help.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am so sorry to hear the position you’re in, sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat. If you don’t mind me asking what place were you on the waitlist last year? I got waitlisted this year and I’m wondering if I should reapply or if there is even a chance of getting in after being waitlisted? 

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.... no one was chosen off the list last cycle. I was 12/18

1 hour ago, stonegyrl said:

Thanks.... no one was chosen off the list last cycle. I was 12/18

So I’m not exactly sure what you mean by saying you were “12/18”, as in you were 12 of a list that was 18 people long?

Also, during my interview they said the last person was accepted two days before the program started so I do think by default at least someone on the waitlist was accepted. However, that is still sort of disappointing. :( 

Just received my rejection email!

It's kind of crazy to think I was only going to apply to NAU but at the last minute, applied to my other 2 instate schools and got acceptances to both. I've been very impressed by the communication and organization at the other institutions. I wonder if there have been internal changes that have affected NAU's promptness.

It's kind of crazy to think I was only going to apply to NAU but at the last minute, applied to my other 2 instate schools and got acceptances to both. I've been very impressed by the communication and organization at the other institutions. I wonder if there have been internal changes that have affected NAU's promotness.

NAU has had a lot of faculty turnover lately and I know of at least one big person in their program left to start a program at a new school. I think everything has been out of whack for them.

Might be best not to start their program in the midst of all that change! At least that’s just my opinion!

I just received my rejection email and I'm really unimpressed with their unprofessional admissions process. I have been accepted elsewhere, so I'm overall happy with my application cycle, but NAU has left a bad taste in my mouth for several reasons. 

I work with several clinics in the valley (I am the director of operations at a scribing company). I was talking with the PA manager (who HIRES PAs to work in their practice) at one of the larger clinics we work with and he said he straight up will not hire grads from NAU anymore because every new hire is underprepared and he has to eventually let them go. I didn't realize a school could have a reputation like that. 

I applied anyway and then got that erroneous rejection email that said they did not review my application because I didn't submit/pay for my supplemental application when I most certainly did. Multiple other people I have spoken to (on here, other applicants at my interviews, and friends who are also applying this cycle) had the same issue. They said this didn't impact my qualifying for an interview, but I really think it did and they can't admit it.

I just hope NAU can stay accredited due to being so unorganized!

5 hours ago, ajames said:

It's kind of crazy to think I was only going to apply to NAU but at the last minute, applied to my other 2 instate schools and got acceptances to both. I've been very impressed by the communication and organization at the other institutions. I wonder if there have been internal changes that have affected NAU's promptness.

I agree all my interviews were a lot more organized. They were also friendly and great with communication. 

For those of you on the waitlist who are curious, I called today and spoke with the director and he said 3 people have already been taken from the waitlist and accepted. He said the waitlist is 18 people long. He also said that by mid March all schools have finished their selection process and by then most students have decided which school that want to attend and by then you should have a good idea weather or not you'll get in. 

1 hour ago, GreekGirlPA said:

For those of you on the waitlist who are curious, I called today and spoke with the director and he said 3 people have already been taken from the waitlist and accepted. He said the waitlist is 18 people long. He also said that by mid March all schools have finished their selection process and by then most students have decided which school that want to attend and by then you should have a good idea weather or not you'll get in. 

So I also just spoke to Kay today! She said the few who were accepted were taken from the waitlist before we received the official emails, so it did not change our places on the waitlist yet-but she said that she was planning to call someone else today/tomorrow so we should all move up one here pretty soon! She also said that last year only about 2-3 people were taken from the waitlist, but the year before almost 20 were taken, so it varies a lot! Fingers crossed for all of us still waiting!?

23 minutes ago, Marykam said:

So I also just spoke to Kay today! She said the few who were accepted were taken from the waitlist before we received the official emails, so it did not change our places on the waitlist yet-but she said that she was planning to call someone else today/tomorrow so we should all move up one here pretty soon! She also said that last year only about 2-3 people were taken from the waitlist, but the year before almost 20 were taken, so it varies a lot! Fingers crossed for all of us still waiting!?

I called Kay after reading this and she pulled up the list while I was on the phone, she said I had moved from 7th to 5th and soon maybe 4th (once she calls the next student in a few days). She said that my email must have been generated before they the first few were taken from the waitlist. I am not sure why things seem so inconsistent among applicants but I would encourage anyone who is waitlisted to actually call and have her look. She said you can call anytime for an update. Just a thought! good luck everyone :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 8:43 PM, Hellopaschool said:

Has anyone who has been accepted received any info about books/supplies we need to purchase? 

Hey guys! So just a little update for those who were waitlisted, I was #7 initially and just yesterday I was accepted! So don't give up, schools across the country are still making acceptance decisions so spots are still opening. Also, for those accepted, Kay said she was sending out a big packet of information about books/supplies, immunizations and what not within the next week!

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, OrthoPT2PA said:

- Does anyone know if there has been a social media group made for those accepted?

Yes there is...the Facebook group is titled "NAU Physician Assistant Program Class of 2020".  You will need to request to join the group if you have been accepted.  Currently there are only 35/50 students from the class that have joined.   

• 5 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 11:34 PM, KaylaRT said:

Do any previous interviewers have any advice for current applicants? I am interviewing November 6th 

Come prepared to talk about why you want to be a PA and why you want to go here, just like how you would explain it to a friend or family! Most importantly be yourself! Everybody is really nice here and just have a good time! I am in the class 2020 here, let me know if you have any questions about the program!

Archived