University of Toledo: 2017- 2018 Application Cycle

21 minutes ago, PAyay18 said:

Haha no problem! I know the feeling! Although I submitted sooner, I still have not heard anything back yet. :/

Yes, It takes a while for them to get back to you. I submitted my application May 31st and did not physically hear back from the school until June 20th.

RequirementReceivedNoteStatus

Application FeeMay 31, 2017Credit Card Appl Fee $45.00 

Application Reviewed by COGSJun 01, 2017  

Pre-Req Completion PlanJun 01, 2017  

Application pending reviewJun 14, 2017  

Dear University of Toledo Physician Assistant Program Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the University of Toledo's Physician Assistant Program. We have reviewed your prerequisite coursework and have concluded you are meeting the programs course requirements. If any other information is needed, we will contact you via email. You will not need to send transcripts to the University of Toledo at this time.

Our application cycle will close on October 1, 2017. Applications will continue to be reviewed through December. We will begin to send invitations for interviews in late December or early in January. Interviews will start in January and go through the end of March. Invitations will go out sporadically during this time.  

If you have any questions, please contact Roni Hoskins at roni.hoskins@utoledo.edu.

The University of Toledo Admissions Committee

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, robins53 said:

Yes, It takes a while for them to get back to you. I submitted my application May 31st and did not physically hear back from the school until June 20th.

RequirementReceivedNoteStatus

Application FeeMay 31, 2017Credit Card Appl Fee $45.00 

Application Reviewed by COGSJun 01, 2017  

Pre-Req Completion PlanJun 01, 2017  

Application pending reviewJun 14, 2017  

Dear University of Toledo Physician Assistant Program Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the University of Toledo's Physician Assistant Program. We have reviewed your prerequisite coursework and have concluded you are meeting the programs course requirements. If any other information is needed, we will contact you via email. You will not need to send transcripts to the University of Toledo at this time.

Our application cycle will close on October 1, 2017. Applications will continue to be reviewed through December. We will begin to send invitations for interviews in late December or early in January. Interviews will start in January and go through the end of March. Invitations will go out sporadically during this time.  

If you have any questions, please contact Roni Hoskins at roni.hoskins@utoledo.edu.

The University of Toledo Admissions Committee

Thank you so much for the detailed information! :)

8 hours ago, sonia said:

Does anyone have any info on why the program is status is Accreditation-Probation? I also see that the PANCE rate is 74%.

The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) recently reviewed the physician assistant programs report dated January 24, 2017.

Accreditation Action:

The University of Toledo Physician Assistant Program has been placed on Accreditation-Probation status by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The basis for the decision was the information contained in the program’s report as well as its accreditation history.

Please note that at this point, the program is approved to continue to admit and accept up to 40 students per class.

Probation is a temporary status of accreditation - limited to two years - conferred when a program holding an accreditation status of accreditation-provisional or accreditation-continued does not meet the Standards and the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened. Once placed on probation, a program that fails to comply with accreditation requirements in a timely manner, as specified by the ARC-PA, risks having its accreditation withdrawn.

Specific questions regarding the Program and its plans should be directed to the Program Director and/or the appropriate institutional official(s).

The Physician Assistant Program is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission of Education of the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The next on-site re-accreditation visit will be June 19-20, 2017. The program will still have its validation review at the September 2017 commission meeting, with the site visit and submission of the application occurring as previously scheduled. In addition, a focused probation site visit will need to occur in advance of the March 2019 commission meeting. Only graduates of accredited PA programs are eligible to take the national certifying examination offered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA). This visit will evaluate the program and institutional progress in addressing specific Standards related problem(s) identified during the course of the most recent commission review of the program. The ARC-PA retains the right to meet with faculty and students or pursue other issues that may surface during the course of the visit that are relevant to the stability of the program. Details about requirements for the focused visit are conveyed to the program in writing prior to the visit and in the attached Citations document.

During review of the submitted report, the commission determined that program responses to two of the areas of noncompliance with the Standards were inadequate, and cited two additional areas of noncompliance, resulting in four (4) citations. The attached citations document includes information on reports due to the ARC-PA. If an appeal is not initiated, the program should respond to the citations as directed in the document. If an appeal is initiated, the program will receive a revised or affirmed citations document at the end of the appeal process with information regarding reports due to the ARC-PA.

Citation(s):  Based on information contained in the program application and all appendices submitted to the ARC-PA, the report of the site visit team, the program response and the program accreditation history, the program has not demonstrated compliance with the following Standard(s):

1.  Standard A1.08 - The sponsoring institution must provide the program with the human resources necessary to operate the educational program and to fulfill obligations to matriculating and enrolled students.  ANNOTATION:  Human resources include the faculty and staff needed on a daily and ongoing basis, as well as those needed for specific program related activities such as maintaining records and processing admission applications.  They include sufficient administrative and technical support staff to support faculty in accomplishing their assigned tasks.  Student-workers may be used, but do not substitute for administrative and technical support staff. FINDINGS:  The sponsoring institution did not provide the program with the human resources necessary to operate educational program and fulfill obligations to matriculating and enrolled students.

2.  Standard A2.02 - The program must have program faculty that include the program director, principal faculty, medical director, and instructional faculty.  b)  The program must have at least three FTE principal faculty positions.  Two FTE principal faculty positions must be filled by PA faculty who currently are NCCPA-certified.  FINDINGS: The program does not have two FTE principal faculty positions filled by current NCCPA-certified PA faculty.

3.  Standard A2.09 - The program director must be knowledgeable about and responsible for program: b) administration.  FINDINGS:  The program director did not demonstrate responsibility for program administration by adhering to ARC-PA policies and following directions and guidelines provided by the ARC-PA.

4.  Standard A3.14 - The program must define, publish and make readily available to enrolled and prospective students general program information to include: b) the success of the program in achieving its goals.  ANNOTATION:  The program is expected to provide factually accurate evidence of its effectiveness in meeting its goals. Findings:  The program did not define, publish and make readily available to enrolled and prospective students, program information related to the success of the program in achieving its goals.

GENERAL COMMENTS

At the time of the program website review by the ARC-PA on January 12, 2017, the published accreditation statement did not contain the approximate date of the program’s next validation review. To be in compliance with standard A3.14a, the program must continually publish and make readily available on its website the appropriate wording for its accreditation status exactly as it is presented in this accreditation letter.

The program will still have its validation review at the September 2017 commission meeting, with the site visit and submission of the application occurring as previously scheduled. In addition, a focused probation site visit will need to occur in advance of the March 2019 commission meeting. This visit will evaluate the program and institutional progress in addressing specific Standards related problem(s) identified during the course of the most recent commission review of the program. The ARC-PA retains the right to meet with faculty and students or pursue other issues that may surface during the course of the visit that are relevant to the stability of the program. Details about requirements for the focused visit are conveyed to the program in writing prior to the visit and in the attached Citations document.

Please note that the program is approved to accept up to 40 students per class.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First time applicant. 

I'm from Denver, CO. Working now as a medical assistant/scribe for a neurologist specializing in headache. 

I'm a little worried because UT is my first choice school, but I have an interview on 10/20 elsewhere. Already debating whether I wait it out and hope I get an interview at UT, or accept an offer if it comes...

• 2 weeks later...

It has not been updated.  They had a large meeting with all the faculty, the Dean of UTMC and others and the entire PA student body to tell them that they lost accreditation apparently.  They are in the process of trying to appeal the loss.  I don't want to get anyone in trouble though as to where I got this info so I'll leave it at that.  

11 hours ago, Crusade16 said:

It has not been updated.  They had a large meeting with all the faculty, the Dean of UTMC and others and the entire PA student body to tell them that they lost accreditation apparently.  They are in the process of trying to appeal the loss.  I don't want to get anyone in trouble though as to where I got this info so I'll leave it at that.  

will the students be able to graduate??

According to NCCPA rules, students currently enrolled and attending should be able to sit for the PANCE.

Any students admitted after the loss of accreditation will not be able to sit for the PANCE. I’m guessing ARC-PA might not even allow UT to admit a new cohort for this cycle. I’m sure at this this time UT is probably trying to figure out the most positive way to spin the bad news before going public.  

http://www.nccpa.net/pance-eligibility

http://www4.toledoblade.com/Education/2017/10/20/UT-physician-assistant-program-loses-accreditation.html

They seem to have to negotiate for current students to take the PANCE, you can take it if your program is on probation but not if the've lost their accreditation. The program you graduate from has to be accredited (which they are even if on probation) to sit for the PANCE. 

-Source: NCCPA representative friend. 

I just got an official email from the program notifying us that they have lost accreditation. They will not be admitting students for Fall of 2018.

For those who have applied already, they are refunding you the $45 for the application fee. I wish you all the best of luck!

36 minutes ago, jmtam said:

I just got an official email from the program notifying us that they have lost accreditation. They will not be admitting students for Fall of 2018.

For those who have applied already, they are refunding you the $45 for the application fee. I wish you all the best of luck!

I received the same email as well. Bummer that the program lost its accreditation but a positive that I will receive a refund. I was going to withdraw my application anyway as I was offered admissions into another program, so it was the way the cards were dealt to me that this worked out. 

Archived