Samuel Merritt University: 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brother of Gus said:

Same boat here. Not a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, jmtam said:

I didn't receive any update either! I submitted my CASPA May 19th, verified May 22nd.

Ok so I'm thinking maybe this is just a slow process? I just wanna make sure my application isn't somehow falling through the cracks if some people had correspondence as early as June. I don't think I'm gonna email them though.

I got this on 6/17, I was verified 6/16

Thank you for submitting an application to Samuel Merritt University. This is an automated email to confirm that we have received your application for:

Year: 2018 
Term: Fall 
Program: Master of Physician Assistant

Our review process will begin this summer and continue throughout the fall.  When we review your application, we will notify you by email if we need any additional information or documents. Please do not send us transcripts of courses you have completed since you submitted your CASPA application; we do not go back and recalculate GPA’s based on recently completed classes. We assume you will successfully complete all classes indicated as in progress on your application. Do not send resumes, additional letters of recommendation, certificates, updates to your health care experience hours, etc. We only look at and consider the information we require as part of the standardized application. As a reminder, we do not require the GRE’s and do not have a supplemental application. No changes can be made to your application. 

We will begin sending out interview invitations in November and will continue to invite candidates to interview as space permits until the interview process is completed.  We have a total of 144 interview slots.  It is very likely you will not hear from us before that time.  Invitations come directly from the PA department and not through the Office of Admission. All applicants will know their final admission status by the beginning of March.  We notify every one of their final status by email.  A tentative timeline for this admission cycle is on our website. 

Email is the official method of communication from the university. If you are expecting an email from us, please check your "spam/junk" folder. We respectfully request that you do not call us regarding your current application status. Please know that we have your application, it will go through our review process and we will email you if we need any additional information or clarification of any information throughout the review process.  

Again, thank you for your interest in and application to the MPA program at Samuel Merritt University!

Sincerely,

Tonette Green
Admission Counselor
Samuel Merritt University

23 minutes ago, Stephanie.226 said:

Thank you for submitting an application to Samuel Merritt University. This is an automated email to confirm that we have received your application for:

Our review process will begin this summer and continue throughout the fall.  When we review your application, we will notify you by email if we need any additional information or documents. Please do not send us transcripts of courses you have completed since you submitted your CASPA application; we do not go back and recalculate GPA’s based on recently completed classes. We assume you will successfully complete all classes indicated as in progress on your application. Do not send resumes, additional letters of recommendation, certificates, updates to your health care experience hours, etc. We only look at and consider the information we require as part of the standardized application. As a reminder, we do not require the GRE’s and do not have a supplemental application. No changes can be made to your application. 

We will begin sending out interview invitations in November and will continue to invite candidates to interview as space permits until the interview process is completed.  We have a total of 144 interview slots.  It is very likely you will not hear from us before that time.  Invitations come directly from the PA department and not through the Office of Admission. All applicants will know their final admission status by the beginning of March.  We notify every one of their final status by email.  A tentative timeline for this admission cycle is on our website. 

Email is the official method of communication from the university. If you are expecting an email from us, please check your "spam/junk" folder. We respectfully request that you do not call us regarding your current application status. Please know that we have your application, it will go through our review process and we will email you if we need any additional information or clarification of any information throughout the review process.  

Again, thank you for your interest in and application to the MPA program at Samuel Merritt University!

Sincerely,

Tonette Green
Admission Counselor

I emailed them a couple weeks ago about making sure I had everything in since I found it strange that I have not heard a single thing from them, and I was told they are still reviewing things. No timeline on when they would send stuff out.

Sincerely,

Tonette Green
Admission Counselor

I got the same email on July 22nd and I submitted on the 20th of July.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

My name is Ben and I'm a current first year in the SMU MPA program. I'd like to set some expectations for all of you.

First off, Samuel Merritt University has an AMAZING PA program. It truly does. We just finished our first round of exams, so I'm still recovering from sleep deprivation, but I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Samuel Merritt and all my classmates.

That being said, the application process can be annoying and will test your patience. What you need to know is that there is a big difference between the PA program and the Samuel Merritt University main office that also deals with nursing, OT, DPT and all the other programs here. Any frustrations that you will likely have with this application cycle is due to the main office. Sorry. They are slow to respond to emails and phone calls, and because they deal with many programs, they might not know the specifics about the PA department process. Don't think Tonette Green is singling you out when she doesn't respond to your emails or phone calls for weeks, months, or ever. Luckily once you're a student here, you don't have to deal with the main office.

On the other hand, our amazing program director Mike DeRosa reads every single application that is submitted to Samuel Merritt. All applications will also be read by our "admissions committee" which is just comprised of our professors. They get thousands of applications, but truly care about inviting the best potential applicants to the interview day because whomever they choose might be sitting in their classroom next year. The downside to having current teachers read the applications is that the majority of applications won't get touched until after Fall semester is over. I didn't receive my invitation to interview last year until January. That's normal. You need to have patience. Think about it this way: Joe Schmo 4.0 who already interviewed at Duke and accepted a seat there can now turn down the invitation from Samuel Merritt which opens up a spot for you! It's just how it works.

I'll (maybe) post more about the interview process once it's January, but know that the PA department cares deeply about choosing the best students who will be successful in school and share the same core values as listed on SMU's website. The most important piece of advice I can give you is that you've already submitted your application, so stop thinking about PA school. Focus on the job you have, or the classes you're in, or whatever opportunities you have available to you to take advantage of right now. IF you get an interview to Samuel Merritt or any other school, spend the two weeks before preparing for the interview, and then continue not thinking about PA school until you get another interview. Day dreaming about getting into PA school from now until February never helped anyone get into PA school. IF you don't get any interviews this year, keep doing the right things and apply again next year. I also care deeply about making sure the right people get into school here, and those that needed to apply multiple times are typically better people/students in my opinion.

Hello everyone
My name is Ben and I'm a current first year in the SMU MPA program. I'd like to set some expectations for all of you.
First off, Samuel Merritt University has an AMAZING PA program. It truly does. We just finished our first round of exams, so I'm still recovering from sleep deprivation, but I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Samuel Merritt and all my classmates.
That being said, the application process can be annoying and will test your patience. What you need to know is that there is a big difference between the PA program and the Samuel Merritt University main office that also deals with nursing, OT, DPT and all the other programs here. Any frustrations that you will likely have with this application cycle is due to the main office. Sorry. They are slow to respond to emails and phone calls, and because they deal with many programs, they might not know the specifics about the PA department process. Don't think Tonette Green is singling you out when she doesn't respond to your emails or phone calls for weeks, months, or ever. Luckily once you're a student here, you don't have to deal with the main office.
On the other hand, our amazing program director Mike DeRosa reads every single application that is submitted to Samuel Merritt. All applications will also be read by our "admissions committee" which is just comprised of our professors. They get thousands of applications, but truly care about inviting the best potential applicants to the interview day because whomever they choose might be sitting in their classroom next year. The downside to having current teachers read the applications is that the majority of applications won't get touched until after Fall semester is over. I didn't receive my invitation to interview last year until January. That's normal. You need to have patience. Think about it this way: Joe Schmo 4.0 who already interviewed at Duke and accepted a seat there can now turn down the invitation from Samuel Merritt which opens up a spot for you! It's just how it works.
I'll (maybe) post more about the interview process once it's January, but know that the PA department cares deeply about choosing the best students who will be successful in school and share the same core values as listed on SMU's website. The most important piece of advice I can give you is that you've already submitted your application, so stop thinking about PA school. Focus on the job you have, or the classes you're in, or whatever opportunities you have available to you to take advantage of right now. IF you get an interview to Samuel Merritt or any other school, spend the two weeks before preparing for the interview, and then continue not thinking about PA school until you get another interview. Day dreaming about getting into PA school from now until February never helped anyone get into PA school. IF you don't get any interviews this year, keep doing the right things and apply again next year. I also care deeply about making sure the right people get into school here, and those that needed to apply multiple times are typically better people/students in my opinion.
Thank you for posting this! I feel like you will relieve a lot of people's anxiety about not hearing a peep and the overall process (I know it was reassuring for me to read this.) Would you be willing to answer any individuals questions?

@GB_ATC The answer is maybe. I should be studying anatomy right now, which will always be my excuse until December 13th.

This forum would be the place to ask individual questions, and I like the idea of having answers saved over time for others to read. If I don't answer them, Alexar or MLicci might answer them. Those are two of my classmates that I know used this forum last year and would reply if I pester them. Just know that current students do browse this forum every now and then to try to answer questions and to keep Samuel Merritt hype at a solid level.

I should say though that I don't have any recommendations for what you should personally do to make your application better. There are many ways into PA school, so just keep doing whatever you enjoy doing. Don't volunteer at places you don't like volunteering for just because you think it looks good. If you don't like your job, go find another job in patient care. If you have low grades, take science classes that you think you would enjoy at your local community college. If you have an opportunity to do something amazing, do that thing.

@GB_ATC The answer is maybe. I should be studying anatomy right now, which will always be my excuse until December 13th.
This forum would be the place to ask individual questions, and I like the idea of having answers saved over time for others to read. If I don't answer them, Alexar or MLicci might answer them. Those are two of my classmates that I know used this forum last year and would reply if I pester them. Just know that current students do browse this forum every now and then to try to answer questions and to keep Samuel Merritt hype at a solid level.
Fair enough. I bet you guys have a crazy intense life with all the classes right now. The major things I'm wondering about is what are the highlight/lowlights of the program? What do you love and what do you not like (or what would you change) about it?

Samuel Merritt is only intense if you start to stress out about everything. I still make time to go indoor rock climbing 2-3 times a week. Our professors work together to make sure all of our exam and quiz schedules line up smoothly so that we have appropriate time to study for them. The expectation is that you will be studying every single day though and occasionally you have to manage your study time by only allotting a few hours to one class, and then studying another for a few hours. It's great studying subjects that I enjoy and that I know will absolutely contribute to my future career as a PA! A lot of making it through PA school is just trusting the process.

Our Anatomy professor Kamla is definitely the highlight of Fall semester. She's hilarious and a great teacher. Anatomy with cadaver dissection is also such an experience. You'll spend 10 hours a week with her and love every minute of it. The orientation of the program was also very welcoming and I got to feel very comfortable with my classmates before school even started. From the beginning of school, I could show up to the library and join any group of classmates to study. Right now we're a very fluid and cohesive group that definitely builds each other up. One thing that us first years havn't used yet is the Simulation lab which is supposedly very cool. Patient scenario testing happens here either with real actor patients, or with a state of the art simulation dummy that can simulate everything physiologically via computer input like heart sounds, lung sounds, respirations, and can even produce tears. They video record you while you're doing it so that you can rewatch yourself and improve things you might not have noticed you were doing. ANOTHER really cool option offered by Samuel Merritt is our bi-annual Panama trip. From what I understand, our program director DeRosa has close connections with a group that travels to remote villages in the mountains of Panama to set up a weekly medical clinic to provide medical care to villagers. Most indigenous people have to walk hours just to get to the clinic because it's the only healthcare they receive every year. As a PA student, you're seeing patients and their families and doing what you can to assess, diagnose, and treat with medications that have been donated.

Lowlights/things to change: The application process for some people. I'm not the right person to ask about this because I'm a very positive person that has done well looking on the bright side of things and Samuel Merritt was my top choice. So, few complaints. Grad school is hard, and in the moment you always wish that you were more spoon-fed, but people who live through the struggle always end up better in the end. Oakland and the greater Bay area is a great place to be, but the cost of living is also higher than most places. I'm lucky and live with family right now, but some people had trouble finding housing. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head for tuition, but it's relatively nothing crazy. These are going to be some expensive years of your life and you just have to accept that. Oakland is super cool and absolutely worth it.

BenBenBen is right, I will respond to some questions on here, but he need not pester me, lol. I also may not reply as we get closer to an exam and I will not provide any insight into interview-day specifics, so don't ask. I can confirm what he has gone over. The waiting game is a tough one, but if you are invited to an interview, it will absolutely be worth the wait. SMU was by far the best interview experience I had last year and I was over the moon at having earned a slot. I was in the first group of interviews and heard nothing from SMU until January. I wouldn't bother the admissions department with any questions as they are super busy and they most likely won't respond. It stinks, but it is true.  

The Good: I love my classmates! SMU did such a great job picking out our cohort and it truly makes the grad school experience so much more rich because of my amazing individuals I get to spend time with almost daily. Also, all of our professors are amazing and really know their stuff and have actually worked out in the field. One day I was having trouble accessing an assignment and I was able to call my professor on his cell phone to get the issue resolved within a couple minutes. How often have you been able to do that?! Also, BenBenBen and I started Vertical Run Club (indoor rock climbing club) which is something you should totally join if you are accepted. Lastly, SMU has an amazing reputation in the Bay Area for educating some amazing PAs. You will be so well-trained and your future employers will know it thanks to those who have come before you and the great care SMU has taken in instilling trust in the local community. 

The Maybe-Not-So-Good: The bay area is expensive and traffic can be a real pain...but completely worth it to attend SMU. Other than that, I don't have any real negatives. You guys would be lucky to go here. I feel stoked walking onto campus everyday and know that SMU is going to help mold me into an amazing PA. 

So, don't stress. Enjoy life while you are not in PA school as it is a tough, but totally doable, adjustment. If you have any questions, we can try to help you guys out. We were just there a year ago, so we understand the anxiety and possible frustrations you must be feeling. If there is something you guys must do while you are waiting, read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman. It is required reading for many PA programs, and will open your eyes into cultural clashes that can occur in medicine in our melting pot of a country. It is also an amazing read! I have to go study for anatomy now...  

Hi all!

I’m Alexa and am also a first year. Ben and Meghan are completely spot on so please read their posts!

Samuel Merritt has an amazing PA program and I am also happy to answer any questions you may have! However, please don’t personal message us, we want everyone to benefit from the answer. We were where you guys are now only a year ago so we know how you’re feeling and I know I personally appreciated it when I got advice from current students so don’t be afraid to ask questions.

With that being said here’s some advice:

1. I know the wait is grueling for some of you (for me the wait after the interview was the worst) but be patient and enjoy this time. Take vacations, spend time with family, or whatever it is you enjoy doing. I would also keep building up those patient care hours and/or improving your grades in case you need to reapply the next cycle, which will be the case for many of you, and that’s okay! Many people in our class have applied more than once and are in no way inferior to those who got in their first time applying, in many ways I could argue the opposite. So don’t get discouraged by the process. If you really want to be a PA then stick with it and keep applying. Also, I know it sucks how competitive the application process is but be assured that once you get in a program that changes. Our class wants everyone to succeed so we all help each other out, share notes, study together, etc.

2. If you’re wondering if your healthcare experience will be “good enough”, it will be. Our class is very diverse when it comes to backgrounds and experiences. We all bring something different to the table which is a good thing. Just get experience doing something you enjoy and learn as much as you can from it.

3. The area is very expensive to live in but don’t let that deter you. PA school is expensive no matter where you go. Make sure the program is a good fit for you and don’t worry about the cost. There are scholarships and loan options. Also, our class will give those who get in advice on housing, etc.

Archived