Anyone else receive this message from the NCCPA this morning? Seems like a vaguely worded attempt to undo some of the bad PR NCCPA has garnered lately. What does everyone else think?

"Dear Colleague:

We are writing to update you on two important outcomes of recent NCCPA Board of Directors deliberations about:

The future of PANRE and

NCCPA legislative activities.

Regarding PANRE

At its meeting this weekend, the NCCPA Board of Directors acknowledged that in the context of maintaining high standards of knowledge and skills, which are the hallmarks of the PA profession, technological advances afford us the opportunity to develop new approaches to ensuring we all remain current throughout our careers.

Thus, in addition to work already underway to narrow the content of PANRE to core medical knowledge essential for practice across all disciplines, today we announce that NCCPA is committed to piloting alternatives to its current high-stakes recertification exam requirement by 2020. We do not yet have details about the alternatives and will share more information as soon as we are able.

Regarding Legislative Activities

The Board acknowledges the value of working with AAPA and its constituent organizations to advance modernization of PA practice laws and regulations.

Also, in keeping with its duty to the public, NCCPA will continue to monitor the legislative and regulatory landscape to protect public interest and the credibility of the PA-C credential by ensuring certification and recertification requirements are maintained.

There have been many recent communications from other PA leaders that have mischaracterized the actions of the NCCPA. For more information regarding NCCPA’s legislative efforts, please click here.

Mary L. Warner, MMSc, PA-C NCCPA Board Chair

Dawn Morton-Rias, Ed. D., PA-C NCCPA President/CEO"

I think they are trying hard to present  "alternative facts"

I also think that they are just digging the hole deeper and deeper....

I am again going to send off emails to board memebers stating my dislike for their "alternative facts" and the flat out lies of stating the recertification increases patient safety (show me even a single study to this effect)

I would encourage others to do the same - I was only able to find 

Mary Warner, MMSc, PA-C - Chair - Physician Assistant Education Association nominee                                            mlwarner@bu.edu

Edward A. Amberg, MMS, MPH, PA-C -  PA director at large

Claudette Dalton, MD -  American Medical Association nominee

Timothy Evans, MD, PhD, FACP - American College of Physicians nominee

Cynthia Flournoy, MBA, FACHE, RHIA - public director at large

Katherine G. Footracer, MS, PA-C - PA director at large

Robin Hunter Buskey, DHSc, PA-C - Secretary - PA director at large

Joel A. Kase, DO, MPH - American Osteopathic Association nominee

Paul Lombardo, MPS, PA-C - Chair Elect - American Academy of Physician Assistants nominee

Jennifer R. Madonia, MS, PA-C - PA director at large

Dawn Morton-Rias, Ed.D, PA-C - NCCPA President/CEO                                                                                  dmorton-rias@nccpa.net 

Jennifer B. Parker, PA-C - PA director at large

Peggy Riley Robinson, MS, MHS, PA-C - Federation of State Medical Boards nominee

John H. Stuemky, MD, FAAP - Treasurer - American Academy of Pediatrics nominee

Kendra Thomsen, PA-C, MPAS - PA director at large

Denni J. Woodmansee, MS, PA-C - Immediate Past Chair - U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs nominee

Contact Us page on NCCPA     http://www.nccpa.net/contact-us.aspx

I was only able to find a few emails - if people have other please post them here an I will update the contact list in this initial post 

• Upvote 1

From NCCPA

So in summary - it appears that NCCPA just started to go into lobbying???

and they have already screwed things up....

Can we force them out of lobbying as their members?  Anyone want to delve into the NCCPA charter/rules/regulations to see if there is a way to do this??

TIMELINE OF NCCPA LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITIES
(MAY 8, 2017)
  • Nov. 2016: NCCPA Board determines that advocacy efforts are needed to preserve existing legislative and regulatory requirements for certification and certification maintenance.

• Dec. 2016 – Feb. 2017:  NCCPA secures government relations support necessary to publicly register in several states including Illinois, Missouri, and Ohio. Active monitoring for the introduction of adverse legislation begins.

• Feb. 2017: In Illinois, NCCPA learns that draft bills eliminate references to NCCPA and remove certification maintenance as a requirement for licensure renewal. Current Illinois law had been recently interpreted to mean that certification maintenance is not necessary, in contradiction to longstanding interpretation by AAPA. NCCPA registers disagreement with the new interpretation.  

In New Mexico, a PA practice bill that would eliminate all references to current NCCPA certification for licensure renewal is introduced. NCCPA offers and all parties agree to a compromise that the certification maintenance requirement shall remain in effect but language is added to allow for acceptance of certification from NCCPA or “another certifying agency, as designated by rules promulgated by the (state medical) board.”

• Mar. 2017: NCCPA learns of a bill in West Virginia that was amended on the floor of the senate to eliminate the requirement that PAs maintain certification as a condition of licensure and to eliminate the requirement that PAs be currently certified for initial licensure. NCCPA engages government relations firms in WV and seeks an audience with key legislators. NCCPA representative testifies before the House Health and Human Resources Committee. The bill that includes elimination of certification requirements is passed by the legislature.

In Illinois, NCCPA representatives testify before house and senate committees with jurisdiction over PA licensing and meet with legislators to relay its position.

In Michigan, NCCPA engaged a government relations firm to help us monitor the rulemaking process that supports implementation of a PA-related bill passed in December 2016.

• Apr. 2017: In New Mexico, the bill including the compromise language related to certification maintenance is signed into law.

In Illinois, NCCPA offers compromise language that would allow PAs to submit proof of current NCCPA certification as an alternative to fulfilling a continuing education requirement, thereby reducing the administrative burden for the vast majority of PAs who will maintain their certification with or without a statutory mandate to do so.

In West Virginia, the governor vetoes the PA bill, citing his concern that the bill “weakens existing professional safeguards governing the medical knowledge and skills of physician assistants that have been serving the public interest for years, even as it grants greater autonomy to physician assistants.” NCCPA leaders have several discussions with leaders from the WV Academy of PAs, offering to lend support to local efforts if the PA bill is reconsidered during a special legislative session, offering the same compromise language agreed to in New Mexico. The WVAPA has not yet agreed to that proposal, and as of May 8, 2017 it remains uncertain whether this bill will be reconsidered in any form this year.

In another forum a many-yeared PA suggested we need to stop being so hateful to the NCCPA and be more polite because we have had bigger crisis in the profession and they get worked out which is true but not relevant. Lots of people survived the Spanish flu but that doesn't mean we just ignored the next plague that came along assuming it would all work out. My response:

I have been mucking about in policy and healthcare politics for about 25 years and I describe it as combat with smiles and nice words. I agree this will eventually get sorted out but you can't expect people whose ability to earn is under threat to be calm and polite. They have bills to pay and families to take care of and good manners won't pay the mortgage.
The NCCPA is dogmatic. I liken them to religious zealots. They believe in their higher purpose and anyone who doesn't agree "just doesn't get it." I have watched the marginalization of people who disagree for many years and have been one of them and it is maddening. The only way to reach such a group is through some forceful move in this case through their pocketbook. Perhaps when enough people bail out and/or another certifying agency is in play and the chair of the NCCPA has to reduce her 330k salary she will get the message. Also when you as an individual are being bullied by a greater force being polite and good mannered really isn't on your agenda.
I received the NCCPA email this morning about how wrong everyone is but them. We have "mischaracterized" (sic) their actions. They are just protecting the public and improving the quality of care PAs provide blah blah blah blah. So once again they explain why we are all wrong because we just don't get it. What should they do?
1) Stop saying you are improving PAs and protecting the public. You can't prove it so stop saying it. That is just some more dogma that gets chanted all the time like a litany.
2) LISTEN and entertain the possibility that you are wrong, behind the times, closed minded and group-thinking. Open your mind.
3) Change to meet the reality of what the profession has become.....soon....not in 10 years after you think about it and study it.

• Upvote 9

I commented already under the PANRE thread.

I found their email to be lacking in any true integrity.

Basically said - you are all wrong, we will do what we want and if you don't like it - lump it. 

I never asked them to lobby for me nor did I agree that my money as fees could be used for such. I have paid all these years to take a test - a test that, in theory, I think needs to exist in some capacity - but needs extensive work to become more realistic and applicable.

I have never bought into or understood the premise that these tests are about patient safety. Out of 115000 of us PAs - there doesn't seem to be a genocide happening because we are seeing patients.

They aren't the least willing to have actual participation from those of us in the trenches or to listen to what we WANT and NEED. 

So, I resent more paying for my PANRE knowing that part of those funds go to activities that I do not agree with. I am bound to keep my C as I am a soon-to-be federal employee (the VA) that requires certification maintenance as a provision of employment. 

NCCPA needs to stop taking lessons from govt about alternative facts and ignoring the gorilla in the room - ANSWER US and be transparent and responsible. 

OR - NCCPA can go away and we can build a new certifying body that doesn't engage in damaging legislative activities.

They have a booth at AAPA conference next week.  I plan to talk to them about these and other issues.  Their responses may be interesting.

be prepared for a glazed over smile and some scripted words. I suspect it will be like talking to a cult member.

I wish I could be there but I had a vacation house booked months ago and really...vacation or conference? I'll send you guys a post card. (Yes I am old enough not only to remember post cards but to have sent some)

• Upvote 2

We are not their "members." We are their subjects.

Agreed. Membership is voluntary. Nothing about the NCCPA is voluntary.

I also agree with sas and had a similar suggestion in the NCCPA "missles" thread. They wont respond to nastygrams and phone calls, and a direct war will make the whole profession look bad. To get an organization to change their behavior it has to hurt. And by that I mean starving them out with a new certifying body. Right now we have no other choice, so they have us by the balls. But if there were another viable, validated choice....

• Upvote 2

The NCCPA is dogmatic. I liken them to religious zealots. They believe in their higher purpose 

I personally don't think it's that complicated.  You've got a group of people who have suddenly found themselves with near unlimited earning potential without lifting a finger to see yucky patients and do yucky medical work.  Hell, the evil part of me wonders if they are hiring.  The tests are written and the process is running.  Those of you who have contacted them know that they make it very clear that dealing with them is going to be difficult.  

This is how I would set it up!

Think about it:  they have their boot on the collective neck of a rapidly growing base of people who have no alternative but to submit.  Damn right they are going to redirect and dance around.  For that kind of money, a lot of people would stand there and let you insult their children and read off a canned response that they got together and memorized.  

As I have said before, the cost of the exams goes up very year.  They could double it tomorrow and we would all pay it.  The director lady could decide to pull $600k next year and no one would even question it.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for them.  There is literally no downside or boundaries, and now they are bringing the force of state law to buy their product.  

Who would even need to remotely give a crap about PA education or patient safety or responding to questions?

• Upvote 2

^ Ha! Great take.

I hope PAs at large are starting to realize (and care) that they have us by the balls. Really, no one can pass go without going through them, and paying the toll.

I suppose other licensing agencies are similar, but this is a unilateral, self-contained, revenue hog that PAs have NO control over. 

A heterogeneous volunteer BOD elected by the PA public with absolute veto power over the NCCPA would be another solution.

• Upvote 4

A very simple way for the NCCPA to defuse this situation is to decided now, today that they will suspend lobbying at the state level while the issue is studied. then if they want to kick the can down the road 3 years (as they said in their email blast) they can. It is a simple policy decision that could be made today. It would show they are listening and responding. Anyone want to suggest that to the chairman/woman/person while attending the conference?  

A very simple way for the NCCPA to defuse this situation is to decided now, today that they will suspend lobbying at the state level while the issue is studied. then if they want to kick the can down the road 3 years (as they said in their email blast) they can. It is a simple policy decision that could be made today. It would show they are listening and responding. Anyone want to suggest that to the chairman/woman/person while attending the conference?  

NCCPA has the names and contact info for 115000 PAs. Only a fraction of those are AAPA members.

We NEED the contact info for all the PAs.

Then we need to send a petition to the PAs asking to sign if they want NCCPA to stop lobbying or set up a SurveyMonkey for PAs to login with their ID number and answer questions about their feelings for certification, state requirements, lobbying etc

BIG QUESTION - how do we get those 115000 names and contacts?

Then, we have followed some sort of data collecting plan to get the reactions and opinions of all those affected and it is not seen as a skewed opinion of a few of us.

Any ideas???

I wonder how long until they delete all the negative comments like they did last time?

Would that leave any positive replies?

I might be forced after all these years to actually get a Facebook account so I can comment. Dang it

I was thinking the same thing.