Elon University Class of 2015

Hey there everyone! Glad to see people are catching on to this forum and we finally get to interact with each other. I would have assumed Elon would have created their group on FB by now, but maybe they are just waiting until they finalize everyone this week. I had a friend in the March 16 interview too. He said there were some good ppl in that group. As far as studying, luckily I work in medicine already so I'm thrown into review mode daily...especially with supervising undergrad sports med students. Hope everyone is doing well!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miranda- LOL good- I like gum :=D: I got used copies of a few of the "made ridiculously simple" books. I got pathophysiology & pharmacology. I also still have my A & P book from last year. I will surely review the A & P and the pathophysiology book at some point, but I am having a hard time motivating just yet. We got the pharmacology book to help my husband during nursing school, but it will probably come in handy for me too. So, to actually answer your question, I have the materials to study but haven't started the studying just yet.

dajacobs- Did your friend say how long they have to give a deposit? I figure Elon won't declare the class full until everyone has paid their deposits.....

Tmr-Welcome and congratulations! Did you go through your day intermittently screaming "I'm going to PA school?" :)

Joseph-Keep your fingers crossed, Whitney's right, there are lots of people that have other schools they're looking at, so you may still have a great shot.

Whitney- I got the super review series for biology and a&p to review. Have you had genetics yet? I'm doing it online this summer and don't really know what to expect?

Miranda- I took Genetics once in undergrad (over 10 years ago) and then again last summer because the first one was too old. I think it is a really interesting class and I did not find it very difficult. But, I was a Wildlife Science major in undergrad and had a lot of exposure to genetics in my other classes before I ever took the class itself. With my teacher last year, there was a good amount of memorization of different genetic diseases and what causes them. But I was not taking straight Genetics. My class was called "Genetics and Human Affairs" so it focused on human genetics and diseases. Some things can get confusing, but the nice thing about taking it online is that you can pause and rewind the lecture if you want; so you can hear explanations again. Hopefully you also have a teacher that is quick to answer questions by phone or e-mail!

Congrats to everyone getting in! Can't wait to meet all of you. I'm actually thinking about living at the crest at elon which is literally across the parking lot. So a very quick walk to class. Its 4 bedrooms and 4 bath with all utilities included for 425. Really good deal

Congrats to everyone getting in! Can't wait to meet all of you. I'm actually thinking about living at the crest at elon which is literally across the parking lot. So a very quick walk to class. Its 4 bedrooms and 4 bath with all utilities included for 425. Really good deal

Txpsychchick- I'm looking at houses too because I'm bringing my Labradoodle! I've also been scoping out craiglist, but I'm afraid its a little too soon to know much. I would really like a fenced backyard, but I may be dreaming. I would love to chat more about roommate situation with you!

Txpsychchick- I'm looking at houses too because I'm bringing my Labradoodle! I've also been scoping out craiglist, but I'm afraid its a little too soon to know much. I would really like a fenced backyard, but I may be dreaming. I would love to chat more about roommate situation with you!

txpsychchick & littlej2-- There is a little town (litterally should still be part of Elon) called Gibsonville right beside campus. There are quite a few houses for rent in that area. I am planning on living in a friend's place right by there b/c they just so happen to be teaching abroad in Costa Rica for the spring 2013 semester. I know some of the houses in his neighborhood have fenced in yards.

Joesph-- My friend got wait listed too. Did they tell you the June-December time from too??

Everyone-- Spoke to Elon this morning (mainly due to the mix up of 'missing' my deposit) and Jenn said the FB page wouldn't be up for a couple of months. Err go, when they finalize the class I'm assuming.

• 2 weeks later...

dajacobs- thanks for the info! I am really looking forward to seeing who else will be in our class. You are so fortunate to have a place to stay already! I have a few cheap/free options, but I am having trouble deciding for sure what I want to do (have a place closer to school and pay more money vs. drive ~30 minutes but live very cheap/free). Since I plan to be home in Raleigh most/all weekends (during didactic anyway), it seems silly to pay too much for wherever I live during the week. I suppose I still have plenty of time to figure things out though!

Did everyone that is interested get your applications in for the NC forgivable loans? It was weird because the NC FELS site would only let you apply for Fall 2012, but when I called Elon they said to go ahead and apply for Fall 2012 and that the NC FELS office was aware of their different schedule. I hope I get that one. Since I plan to stay in NC anyway, it is a sweet deal :-)

Miranda- I was just checking Elon's website to see if there were any updates and they have changed their admissions page to say: *Update: The Elon PA class of 2015 (enrolling January 2013) has reached capacity. The program is no longer accepting applications for the charter class.*

Yay- It looks like things are moving right along! They already have information up for those that want to apply for January 2014. I hope they put up the facebook page soon, though I imagine they are still pretty busy with the accreditation process.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I just got into Elon (enrolling in Jan 2015) and now have to make some decisions! I got into 3 other schools and have interviewed but am waiting to hear from 2 others. If any of you are still around the forum would you mind sharing why you chose Elon and how your first year is going? Also- congrats on almost being done with your didactic year!! Thanks! :) 

Hi Kris....Congrats on your acceptance! I was in the same boat as you last year. I was accepted in Elon in Jan 2012 and accepted it but was still waiting around until I heard from other schools at the end of the interview cycle. It was a little harder because I had applied to Elon before the other schools and Elon starts before them so I had to make a decision to go to Elon or chance it with the other schools that I was on the waiting list for (I found out I was on their waiting list while I was looking for apartments in NC-3 weeks before we started...nothing like waiting until the last minute to do everything). Anyways...I must say that even though I wasn't sure at the time I am so happy I decided to go to Elon. The best thing about Elon's program is the faculty. I actually graduated from Elon's undergraduate program in 2010 and decided to move back to NC and attend Elon again and I have had the same wonderful experience. You get a family at Elon that is behind you 100%. They want you succeed and will help you get there. It's definitely not easy and its been very tough but I cannot say enough about the amazing faculty. Another thing that I think is great is the building and access to the newest equipment that we have. Our anatomy lab is so impressive and the training materials and simulators we can use are great. 

About 75% of the lecture are done by outside speakers, meaning our professors are more or less course directors. They do teach a number of lectures themselves but the majority of our medicine lectures are done by clinicians from the community. Our class did a pretty good job at weeding out the not so great lecturers so that shouldn't be a problem in the future. Some of the them were fantastic and some were just not meant to be in the classroom. I really think the systems based approach for the curriculum is very helpful. It solidifies the information and if you weren't sure about something then you may have an opportunity to catch the idea in anatomy, clinical skills, or in a medicine lecture because it is all intertwined. 

Hopefully that answers your question a little bit. Feel free to ask more questions...I could talk about Elon all day! 

Sara

• 2 weeks later...

Archived