Elon University Class of 2015

Whitney,

Yes, I've got a master's in counseling psychology. My HCE has been working in a psychiatric hospital for the past 5 years, and couldn't say it at the interview, but I can't wait to get away from psychiatry! Last year I applied on CASPA, and not so much as an interview, so I don't know if Elon got the "CASPA reject" list or what, but the way I found out about them was just because they sent me a flier. I had pretty much resigned myself that PA school was just not going to happen at that point, but just on a whim, decided to give it one more shot, and only applied to Elon, and I would say it turned out pretty well. :) Thanks so much for offering to meet me, I just might take you up on it, I'm excited about it and all, but this is a long ways from home, and there is still some healthy fear and homesickness already.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miranda- that's great you decided to try one more time! I feel sure Elon is going to be a great program and we will not be disappointed! I have actually been a stay-at-home mom for the last 6 years. My medical background is slim and is all volunteering, shadowing, and assisting on a medical mission trip to Africa. I suppose taking care of sick kids gets me a few points too :;;D:. I was a wildlife science major in undergrad, so I guess that is a tiny bit relevant, but that was over 10 years ago. I wonder if I'll be the oldest in the class- I will be 34 1/2 when we start! Even though you are glad to leave psych, I think it will be so great for you to have that background. From what I saw in my Primary Care observation (and a little bit of unpaid medical assisting), psych is at the root of a large percentage of the medical visits.

Miranda- that's great you decided to try one more time! I feel sure Elon is going to be a great program and we will not be disappointed! I have actually been a stay-at-home mom for the last 6 years. My medical background is slim and is all volunteering, shadowing, and assisting on a medical mission trip to Africa. I suppose taking care of sick kids gets me a few points too :;;D:. I was a wildlife science major in undergrad, so I guess that is a tiny bit relevant, but that was over 10 years ago. I wonder if I'll be the oldest in the class- I will be 34 1/2 when we start! Even though you are glad to leave psych, I think it will be so great for you to have that background. From what I saw in my Primary Care observation (and a little bit of unpaid medical assisting), psych is at the root of a large percentage of the medical visits.

No worries, Whitney! I will be old right there with you , I will be 33 when we start, so we can borrow each others' canes and Polident while all the other students celebrate being old enough to vote ;) I agree with the perks of having the psych background, I don't ever want to leave behind counseling, just psychiatry as I have experienced it. I'm hoping to maybe keep doing a little therapy on the side while in PA school, and if I get in with the right doctor when I'm done, might even be able to merge the two a little. Have you thought about what field interests you, or is it just too early at this point? I have so many areas that seem appealing, that's one thing I am thrilled about, is the variety of options PA's have! I might just end up doing contract work and have a different job every day of the week!

No worries, Whitney! I will be old right there with you , I will be 33 when we start, so we can borrow each others' canes and Polident while all the other students celebrate being old enough to vote ;) I agree with the perks of having the psych background, I don't ever want to leave behind counseling, just psychiatry as I have experienced it. I'm hoping to maybe keep doing a little therapy on the side while in PA school, and if I get in with the right doctor when I'm done, might even be able to merge the two a little. Have you thought about what field interests you, or is it just too early at this point? I have so many areas that seem appealing, that's one thing I am thrilled about, is the variety of options PA's have! I might just end up doing contract work and have a different job every day of the week!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is too funny! I am really interested in primary care or hospitalist as of right now. My husband and I actually want to do travel work once I have a little experience under my belt. We also want to do short term mission trips (Africa, Alsaka, & Navajo country in Arizona and one the bucket list) as a PA & RN. I am thinking I would like to do the international rotation to Belize (or somewhere else if they end up offering it) if I can stand the thought of being away from my family for the entire rotation. I told my husband that and he said- "what do you mean away from us- we can go on a trip to Belize at the same time" LOL! I told him I am sure I would be too busy on that type of rotation to see them and he said- "that's OK we'll come see you at clinic for like 5 minutes and then do our own thing". He loves to travel, can you tell? I have all these plans, but I have found that plans change quite easily, so I am excited to see what opportunities come my way and decide from there.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is too funny! I am really interested in primary care or hospitalist as of right now. My husband and I actually want to do travel work once I have a little experience under my belt. We also want to do short term mission trips (Africa, Alsaka, & Navajo country in Arizona and one the bucket list) as a PA & RN. I am thinking I would like to do the international rotation to Belize (or somewhere else if they end up offering it) if I can stand the thought of being away from my family for the entire rotation. I told my husband that and he said- "what do you mean away from us- we can go on a trip to Belize at the same time" LOL! I told him I am sure I would be too busy on that type of rotation to see them and he said- "that's OK we'll come see you at clinic for like 5 minutes and then do our own thing". He loves to travel, can you tell? I have all these plans, but I have found that plans change quite easily, so I am excited to see what opportunities come my way and decide from there.

Anybody here worried Elon's accreditation may not go through in September or get delayed? I'm Concerned about giving up an out-of-state accreditated spot that begins in May for an in-state non-accreditated spot that hopefully will begin in January. Thoughts anyone?

Anybody here worried Elon's accreditation may not go through in September or get delayed? I'm Concerned about giving up an out-of-state accreditated spot that begins in May for an in-state non-accreditated spot that hopefully will begin in January. Thoughts anyone?

I can't give the ultimate reassurance or anything, but I am honestly not concerned. First of all, Elon has had 2 major programs start from scratch in the past few years ( their law school and physical therapy department) so the school itself is familiar with getting things off the ground successfully. And second, you've got faculty in the PA department itself with prior experience at some major schools, some of them as program directors that were willing to jump ship to go with Elon. Third, this has been in the works quite a while-they told us at the interview in January that the accreditation committee was going to come by in the next few weeks, so it's not like the committee won't be working with them until September. And if there were some glitch or holdup, they would just wait, they will not even begin the program until the accreditation is in place. Hope that helps, but I would check with the program staff themselves for reassurance.

I can't give the ultimate reassurance or anything, but I am honestly not concerned. First of all, Elon has had 2 major programs start from scratch in the past few years ( their law school and physical therapy department) so the school itself is familiar with getting things off the ground successfully. And second, you've got faculty in the PA department itself with prior experience at some major schools, some of them as program directors that were willing to jump ship to go with Elon. Third, this has been in the works quite a while-they told us at the interview in January that the accreditation committee was going to come by in the next few weeks, so it's not like the committee won't be working with them until September. And if there were some glitch or holdup, they would just wait, they will not even begin the program until the accreditation is in place. Hope that helps, but I would check with the program staff themselves for reassurance.

I am also not concerned. I agree with everything Miranda said above. Also, I asked them about accreditation at my interview and their explanation and answers were more than satisfactory to me- you should ask them yourself though. That being said, if you have a program you can begin in May, why would you wait until January? I am not trying to talk you out of it or anything- I really love Elon's program- I prefer the way they combine systems based learning, traditional classroom instruction, and problem based learning sessions (CCLD). I am just curious what different things are factoring into your decision- feel free not to answer if I am being too nosy :;;D:.

I am also not concerned. I agree with everything Miranda said above. Also, I asked them about accreditation at my interview and their explanation and answers were more than satisfactory to me- you should ask them yourself though. That being said, if you have a program you can begin in May, why would you wait until January? I am not trying to talk you out of it or anything- I really love Elon's program- I prefer the way they combine systems based learning, traditional classroom instruction, and problem based learning sessions (CCLD). I am just curious what different things are factoring into your decision- feel free not to answer if I am being too nosy :;;D:.

ttpa2be- have you decided what you want to do?

miranda- I can't wait to find out about everyone too.

josephty.carter- keep us posted!

littlej2- yay! Nice to "meet" you. I got your facebook request- my husband's uncle lives in your town. I am trying to be patient in waiting for our own class page on facebook :-) I haven't decided if I am going to try and rent near Elon or if I am going to be crashing with some of our friends in the area. I plan to travel home to Raleigh every weekend. So, I've got to decide if it is worth the $$$ for only 4 nights a week. But, it would be nice to have a space that is my own so I am not having to pack and unpack every week. I guess I need to see how much money it would be to rent with a roomie (or 2 or 3).

Woo hoo! We're getting to know a few more a little at a time!

Littlej2-I'm sure I saw you for half a second when the morning and afternoon groups did the bus tour together, but obviously wouldn't have had much opportunity to talk to you. I'm Miranda, btw, nice to meet you! I'm possibly looking at getting a roommate too, so we may need to chat.

Josephty-I creeped a little on some of your other posts, looks like you have a good shot anywhere you choose to go, but if you pick Elon, I will be nice to you, and share my gum :)

That sounded like I don't care about the fresh breath of the rest of the class, just singling out Joseph...I will be nice to and share my gum with the rest of y'all too :)

Is anybody studying yet? I haven't done much, but got a few review books for biology and A&P and am going to take genetics this summer

Archived