New grad moving to NC from TX, help on licensing application

I am graduating 8/11/2017 and moving to North Carolina from Texas. 

Unfortunately my PA Program only has information in regards to licensing in Texas, so I was hoping I could get some info here. 

1. I have already filled out the NCMB app and printed my checklist, and I am currently working on completing that checklist but I noticed it doesn't provide info about:

• Jurisprudence  exam (do you guys have to take that?)
  • NPI registration
  • DEA registration

-Any info on those items?

2. What's the expected timeline for processing the application/getting licensed ?

- Will it be necessary to obtain a temporary license?

Any information in regards to the North Carolina application process would be much appreciated! My program provided students with a very detailed checklist/survival guide with instructions/personal tips for the Texas Medical Board Application and I am hoping there is something similar out there for NC!

No temporary license available, but my license was processed super quick in 2015. I had everything turned in and all they were waiting for was my PANCE results. Had my license two days after PANCE results were sent in. I'm not sure what your question is about NPI and DEA- they are national and you will need to get them to practice. I can't remember if you need them prior to licensing- you should call the NCMB. I had to call them a couple times when licensing and they were very helpful. No jurisprudence exam when I got licensed.

Just an update (as of 9-1-2017) for anyone following this topic:

I started on my NCMB application on 4/28/2017 and got most documentation submitted within two weeks of that. They were very quick about processing these items on the checklist. 

I graduated PA school on 8/11/2017, took my PANCE on 8/23/2017, received my PANCE results from NCCPA on 8/31/2017 and on 9/1/2017 the NCMB finished reviewing my application. They have given their stamp of approval and will be issuing my license. 

Everything went smoothly and QUICKLY!

In regards to my initial posting - NCMB does NOT issue temporary licenses, and DEA/NPI licenses cannot be done until you have a medical board license. 

• Upvote 1

Glad it was quick for you. I almost missed my credentialing deadline because they took two weeks to get my license back to me and another two weeks for DEA to clear. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brown
      Hi everyone,
      In my myriad Google searches, I seem to have found the answer, but I want to confirm this before I play the waiting game.  I have applied for state licensure in CA, but I am still waiting on approval. Can I apply for my DEA before the license comes through? The answer seems to be no, that I must be fully licensed before I even begin my application for a DEA.
      Anyone have any light to shed on this? Any way for me to speed up the waiting game?
      Thanks much!
    • By Perdikos
      Hello. As of today I have only applied to one PA school program (Rutgers) but unfortunately I got denied. I decided not to apply to any other schools this cycle as I have not started my senior year yet and am missing some of the prerequisite courses for many programs. I am currently working as a Medical Scribe and have been doing this for about one year now with about 750 hours. I also volunteered at a food pantry but only completed about 50 hours doing so. My science GPA is 3.32 and my cumulative GPA of 3.62.  I am planning to complete my senior year and continue working to build up more hours and reapply next cycle with a stronger application but I am worried that my experience as a scribe may not be enough. Do you think I should search for something else to do other than scribing to expand my resume?  I won’t have much time to do so during the school year as I will be busy with school work and working about twice a week so I might have to quit my current job if I do so. I am scribing a PA in family medicine and am scared to leave as I feel this is a very good experience and what I want to do in the future. 
    • By ChristineB
      Hi everyone!
      I am a graduating PA and am currently looking for outpatient jobs, particularly in primary care. From what I have heard and seen, many primary care clinics are going through hiring freezes, and the few positions I have seen have required 2-5 years of experience. I have applied to them anyway in case they take a look at my CV and consider me, but they have either not contacted me or told me that I do not have enough experience.
      I had a good first and second interview for an endocrine PA position. I do like endocrine, however I believe at least 90% of my time will involve working only on diabetes management. If I am offered this position--or if I am offered a position in another specialty that I do not see myself in long-term--should I take it to get experience (and a paycheck)? Should I wait it out hoping for a primary care position? If I take a specialty position will I be less desirable as a future applicant for primary care positions? The job market is difficult, generally, for any new grads, but the pandemic seems to have made things a bit harder as well. 
    • By ShaneG412
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well, like many of you I am waiting to hear back from PA schools to see if I will be invited for an interview. I wanted to seek out constructive criticism and advice on how I can improve my chances of getting an interview not only for this cycle but next cycle if I don't get in. (a little side note I just recently switched from the D.O pathway to the PA route my Junior year and I am extremely happy with the decision but I am behind on the hours as I just switched pathways this winter.)
      Heres some stats from my application
      -Accumulative GPA: 3.62
      -Science GPA: 3.76
      -GRE: 313 Overall / 157 Verbal / 152 Quantattive / 4.0 Writing
      -Shadowing: 4 MDs and PAs for about 20 hours. (this was a struggle as I just started PA shadowing right before the pandemic but hopefully I can add to this in August!)
      -Healthcare Hours with direct patient contact: About 500 hours with about half being a nursing assistant and the other half being an assistant athletic trainer. (Another weak point but I should be close to 700 hours by the time interviews roll around and I could definitely pass 1000 before I matriculate if accepted)
      -Volunteer Hours: A little bit over 100 hours
      -I have a good amount of extracurriculars and leadership roles along with published research (which I am hoping will make up for some of the weak areas of my application)
      Again I appreciate any advice on how I can improve my chances for this cycle and/or next cycle if I (knock on wood) don't get in this year. I wish everyone on here the best in their applications and their journey to becoming a practicing PA!
      Best Regards,
      Shane
    • By PotentialPA1
      I’ve already been gathering my PCE/HCE by volunteering as an EMT, working as a Scribe, and working as a DSP at a home for people with head injuries. So, volunteering at an animal shelter would simply just be my “giving back to the community” addition to my application. I love animals so this would be really satisfying for me to do in my spare time, when I’m not working with humans lol. Would schools look at this at all, or is it just a waste of my time that I should be spending working at a soup kitchen or something? I understand that a soup kitchen would probably be better and I plan on doing something like that once covid is over but for now my friend is starting up her own animal shelter and I would love for this to count for my application and make me look better to schools.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More