2017-2018 Application Cycle

8 hours ago, Selena said:

Got the supplemental but I'm kind of confused about the word limit. I'm under the 2500 character limit but over 250 words. Is that ok or what's everyone's take?

I don't have the application open in front of me but I'm pretty sure the prompt said something like "maximum of 2500 characters which is approximately 250 words". I took this to mean that the character count was the real "limit" and not the word count. Hope that helps. 

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I submitted my CASPA application to Duke but I'm not even sure if I want to go through the supplemental essays. I think the only thing going for me is that I have strong ties to their rival college and I'm in state. Otherwise, they tend to look towards high gpa applicants. 

I submitted my CASPA application to Duke but I'm not even sure if I want to go through the supplemental essays. I think the only thing going for me is that I have strong ties to their rival college and I'm in state. Otherwise, they tend to look towards high gpa applicants. 

Go for it! My sGPA was 2.98 and I start next month:) Duke truly uses a holistic approach for admissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ilygurlie said:

I do not believe Duke places any preference to in-state residents or what school you graduated from (though I applied in-state and graduated from their rival school). Our incoming class is pretty diverse from what schools they attended and what state they're from. Like what other posters have already stated, Duke does play a holistic approach. As long as you meet their minimum requirements to apply, I would suggest you give it a try. I was surprised when I received an interview invite. My weak points in applying were applying with the minimum patient care experience of around 1,000 hrs and applying right out of undergrad. Went to the interview and got accepted a week later. Life is full of surprises. Good luck.

14 hours ago, ilygurlie said:

I felt the same way, but I figured it's pointless to have wasted that money in CASPA so might as well go for it. You never know!! 

I am trying to put in all of my certifications for the supplemental app, but I cannot find a one for phlebotomy. Am I blind or does it just fall under other? Also for the EMT basics out there did you put EMT-other or EMT-IB, I wasn't quite sure what to put.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! (:

29 minutes ago, ttaylor95 said:

I am trying to put in all of my certifications for the supplemental app, but I cannot find a one for phlebotomy. Am I blind or does it just fall under other? Also for the EMT basics out there did you put EMT-other or EMT-IB, I wasn't quite sure what to put.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! (:

I remember categorizing it as EMT-IB, although I'm sure either would suffice :)

22 minutes ago, medlabscientist said:

Does anyone know exactly what they are looking for under patient care experiences in the text boxes for "agreeable/positive aspects of responsibility" and "disagreeable/negative aspects of responsibility?" What if you cannot think of anything negative?

I used that space to reflect all the positives of the job that will make me a good PA candidate. 

For the negative I said something in the lines of lack of diagnosing and treatment. 

I hope that helps. 

So I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this and just nervous but what direction did you guys take for the last essay question when it asked about personal life experiences and life goals? Not the optional one. I just don't want to start rambling about things that are irrelevant. Lol Any help is appreciated. Thanks ?

10 hours ago, 14Knight said:

So I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this and just nervous but what direction did you guys take for the last essay question when it asked about personal life experiences and life goals? Not the optional one. I just don't want to start rambling about things that are irrelevant. Lol Any help is appreciated. Thanks ?

Just try to think of the events you have experienced that have shaped you into the person you are today. Pick one event or experience so that you remain focused throughout the piece. It could be work, travel, sports- anything! As long as you took something from the experience I believe you could write a compelling story on it

best of luck!

13 hours ago, martink741 said:

I submitted last weekend! I honestly think the waiting is the worst. I'm trying to not go insane. lol

Yup. 100% agree. I'm trying to tell myself it's out of my hands and to just chill... but I'm still checking my email like a crazy person

Hi all! I applied to Duke's program last year (it was my first time applying there) and got in. I'll be starting next month and am super excited. I remember being in your shoes last year and having so many questions. Feel free to message me and I'll do my best to respond quickly!

First piece of advice, don't doubt yourselves and stay positive! 

Best of luck!

-El

On 6/30/2017 at 4:43 PM, sel1226 said:

Got the supplemental but I'm kind of confused about the word limit. I'm under the 2500 character limit but over 250 words. Is that ok or what's everyone's take?

I think 250 words is an estimate since many words will have a different number of letters. It will probably cut you off after 2500 characters.

I need help!
I'm filling out the supp app now, and I'm confused on a couple things! What do we put under "explanation" beside the frequency of our job- where you put full time part time etc ?
Also- how did you guys answer agreeable & disagreeable aspects of responsibilities!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived