2017-2018 Application Cycle

1 hour ago, Swiftest said:

Received an acceptance email today. Blown away. Interviewed 10/10, waitlisted around the end of October, heard back today. I don't really know how to state my enthusiasm here so I'll pre-emptively answer my fellow neurotics' questions for stats. 

3.5 gpa Biology degree, upward trend (4 point last semester)

Just under 2000 hours of medical experience as an EMT-B in a city known for violence & poverty

Medical study abroad

Philanthropy chairman in my undergraduate Fraternity

Second application cycle with zero interviews last year

Wow! Can't believe I made it. 

This is the type of success story i love hearing! Congrats, wish i could give you more reputation likes but it only allows me to give you one. Please teach me your ways! 

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Swiftest said:

Received an acceptance email today. Blown away. Interviewed 10/10, waitlisted around the end of October, heard back today. I don't really know how to state my enthusiasm here so I'll pre-emptively answer my fellow neurotics' questions for stats. 

3.5 gpa Biology degree, upward trend (4 point last semester)

Just under 2000 hours of medical experience as an EMT-B in a city known for violence & poverty

Medical study abroad

Philanthropy chairman in my undergraduate Fraternity

Second application cycle with zero interviews last year

Wow! Can't believe I made it. 

I think this is just incredible! I’m so thrilled for you! You deserve to feel amazing!!!!!

20 hours ago, ACPA18 said:

Hi! Just curious if anyone knows how people are accepted off of the waitlist. I was waitlisted on 10/23 and haven't heard back yet, but it seems like some who were waitlisted later have already heard back, so I am assuming it's not chronological?

Hi ACPA18,

I know that our class had 20 or so people accepted off the wait list. Don't give up hope! This number fluctuates each year and I believe you'll (eventually) get a number on the list and you will get updates as movement occurs. I would assume assigning or releasing numbers might occur later once interviews are done, but not 100% sure when 

37 minutes ago, Ella0106 said:

Hi ACPA18,

I know that our class had 20 or so people accepted off the wait list. Don't give up hope! This number fluctuates each year and I believe you'll (eventually) get a number on the list and you will get updates as movement occurs. I would assume assigning or releasing numbers might occur later once interviews are done, but not 100% sure when 

Awesome, that's good to know! Thank you!

Sort of a weird question and maybe a current student can shed some light. What kind of a student is Duke looking for? I have my interview coming up here and Soooo badly want to get in (duh just like anyone else)... Looking for pointers and suggestions how to best prepare. Thank in advance everyone!

6 hours ago, Anastasia said:

Sort of a weird question and maybe a current student can shed some light. What kind of a student is Duke looking for? I have my interview coming up here and Soooo badly want to get in (duh just like anyone else)... Looking for pointers and suggestions how to best prepare. Thank in advance everyone!

I would start with their mission statement for guidance. 

There’s no cookie cutter fit at Duke. We’re a very diverse class! I’m one of 2 RNs and the oldest male student at 46. They are very purposeful about using a holistic approach right down to our cadaver lab groups. People with alot of dissection experience are paired with those who never touched a scalpel. Each of us has a place to contribute along the way and we support each other way more than I expected.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:35 AM, Anastasia said:

Hi Anastasia,

I would say that our class made up of students from all backgrounds, geographical locations, races, ages, patient care experiences (...in all ways possible). Duke is looking for the type of student they would want taking care of their loved ones= Genuine, honest, and down to earth applicants. Duke's admissions committee really is good at taking the holistic approach to interview. There isn't a right or wrong answer to the questions you will be asked during their interview. I found that I 'prepped/rehearsed' the least for Duke's interview just based on being sick, exhausted of interviewing/traveling, etc and thought my interview went poorly because of these reasons- thus was really surprised when I got in. It's hard to tell what PA schools want from an applicant. But, I am a great example of that- I got wait-listed or automatically rejected by schools I thought I had a good chance of getting into (schools closer to home)! Also, don't get caught up on comparing your stats to others who got in because it really doesn't indicate anything. (Definitely make sure you have the 'minimum' requirements)

Let me know if you have anymore questions! Feel free to message me directly

On 12/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, Ella0106 said:

Hi Anastasia,

I would say that our class made up of students from all backgrounds, geographical locations, races, ages, patient care experiences (...in all ways possible). Duke is looking for the type of student they would want taking care of their loved ones= Genuine, honest, and down to earth applicants. Duke's admissions committee really is good at taking the holistic approach to interview. There isn't a right or wrong answer to the questions you will be asked during their interview. I found that I 'prepped/rehearsed' the least for Duke's interview just based on being sick, exhausted of interviewing/traveling, etc and thought my interview went poorly because of these reasons- thus was really surprised when I got in. It's hard to tell what PA schools want from an applicant. But, I am a great example of that- I got wait-listed or automatically rejected by schools I thought I had a good chance of getting into (schools closer to home)! Also, don't get caught up on comparing your stats to others who got in because it really doesn't indicate anything. (Definitely make sure you have the 'minimum' requirements)

Let me know if you have anymore questions! Feel free to message me directly

Thank you so much for your response! Had my interview on Monday. Will be patiently waiting for hopefully good news :)

Archived