2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a non traditional applicant (46 yrs old) but my 1st year of college was poor and then joined the Air Force as a Med Lab Tech and got my degree later and graduated with a decent gpa (3.3) but since CASPA looks at ALL classes my gpa is low (2.8) but last 60 credits is above a 3.0.  10K hours of HCE as a Military Medic and avg GRE (304)....Going to take more classes in the spring just in case I am not accepted this cycle...

I'm a non traditional applicant (46 yrs old) but my 1st year of college was poor and then joined the Air Force as a Med Lab Tech and got my degree later and graduated with a decent gpa (3.3) but since CASPA looks at ALL classes my gpa is low (2.8) but last 60 credits is above a 3.0.  10K hours of HCE as a Military Medic and avg GRE (304)....Going to take more classes in the spring just in case I am not accepted this cycle...

I had a low GPA due to grades from 25 years ago. I was invited to interview on 12/14/16, waitlisted then accepted in June 2017. I'll be 46 in October. You can do it!

uwec96,
Thanks for the words of confidence and nice hearing about others in the same boat :).   If you don't mind me asking how has it been so far?....FYI, my fellow air force friend is a PA in Ortho and has been practicing now for over 15yrs...loves it and says it was a challenge but all doable

We've had two exams per week for the last 5 weeks so we're getting a little burnt out but we get a 4-day weekend next week to recharge[emoji106]

24 minutes ago, asteggy said:

I am! I feel like it puts us at a disadvantage most of the time. 

I understand why you'd feel that way, but there is a definite upside. It shows that you're ambitious and driven. In the big scheme of things, your age is just one piece of your big story! I admire you for it!

On the flip side, I am on the older end of the spectrum. I'm 35 and this is a total change in career for me. I suppose some may see it as a disadvantage. I just know that I've grown up, figured out my priorities, and pushed to make it happen. 

Best of luck to you!!

1 hour ago, Packman PA said:

I agree and the positive attitude is what we all needed as medics in the military when I served as well...so not over till its over and even then...will keep pressing forward and improving my application for next cycle if needed :)....

Same here! Always looking to improve the app for the just in case stuff.

How is everyone else managing the wait-associated anxiety? I recently started running again, but I figured I'd ask others since I'm wondering how to occupy the rest of my time in-between work and school.

I have been volunteering at the homeless shelter and getting registered as a therapy dog team. Also trying to be positive and stay motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/30/2017 at 9:12 AM, rfinch said:

How is everyone else managing the wait-associated anxiety? I recently started running again, but I figured I'd ask others since I'm wondering how to occupy the rest of my time in-between work and school.

I work 60+ hours 6 days a week so that leaves me no time to worry anymore :)

9 minutes ago, bensexton2 said:

@Jdabrowski Damn! what kink of work do you do working that long. Paramedic?? 

I work full-time and taking a 6 hr class. Between that and study time, running 3x a week, tennis on weekends plus family time leaves me just enough time to worry once in a while and not all the time. 

Medical scribe and work 10 hour days, plus bartending :) This process has not been cheap and scribing does not pay super great haha. Will be taking a class next semester as well!

On 9/30/2017 at 11:33 PM, FuturePAStudent01 said:

I submitted my supplemental on 8/15. Has anyone with a similar timeline been invited to interview?

I submitted mine around the same time and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know if you add something to your application does it take more time to review ( I recently had a paper published after submitting everything) ?

7 minutes ago, nclemency said:

I submitted mine around the same time and haven't heard anything. Does anyone know if you add something to your application does it take more time to review ( I recently had a paper published after submitting everything) ?

I added stuff to my CASPA application (shadowing hours, volunteering hours, etc.) several times after submitting it, and I was offered an interview. I don't think that adding something will cause a lag in the processing/reviewing timeline of your application. I think, if anything, it will make you more competitive. Good luck!

Archived