2017-2018 Application Cycle

good lord almost 10 month wait from the time CASPA opened til you received your waitlist number... 

Waitlist 2/8....accepted 6/26. Those 4 1/2 months on the waitlist were more anxiety-producing than any other part of the process. Totally worth it[emoji41]

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the patient care, volunteer, and shadow tab there is a box that says "Explanation:"

Is that meant to explain the frequency of hours if needed? I wasn't sure if I should explain my volunteer work in that box or leave it blank if I do not need to explain my frequency of hours?

Thanks!!

23 hours ago, lpq said:

For the patient care, volunteer, and shadow tab there is a box that says "Explanation:"

Is that meant to explain the frequency of hours if needed? I wasn't sure if I should explain my volunteer work in that box or leave it blank if I do not need to explain my frequency of hours?

Thanks!!

I explained what I did and what I learned while volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Received a rejection email today, which was disappointing since I interviewed and got waitlisted last year... Best of luck to everyone else still waiting to here back!

Sorry to hear that! Good luck with your other schools :)

Do you mind sharing when you applied and submitted the supplemental ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On July 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM, uwec96 said:

Part of it was sheer luck:) They took 21 people off the waitlist this cycle which is unusual. Browsing previous year's threads, it ranged from 0-15ish.

My GRE was 316 and I had strong LORs from my A&P professor, an MD, and my manager. I didn't opt to view them but I've worked with the MD and nurse manager for 9 years so they knew me well.

I also had a pretty good upward trend with classes in genetics, parasitology, biochemistry, nutritional biochemistry, immunology, and physics. My bad grades were from 25 years ago but, of course, they still affected my sGPA.

What probably tipped the scales in my favor was my HCE. I've been a cardiac RN for 9 years.

I read Andrew Rodican's PA school interview book and researched the faculty before my interview. Just be yourself and try not to give canned answers:)

Hope this helps! Duke PA forum god DPAP was a terrific resource last cycle. I'll try to follow in her footsteps this year.

What exactly is "Duke PA forum god DPAP"?

Has anyone received an e-mail stating that their application has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review? I know in past years there were separate emails sent when the application was complete and in queue for review and then once it was forwarded to the ADCOM, but I haven't seen anyone post yet about a separate email this year?

7 minutes ago, cahayes86 said:

Has anyone received an e-mail stating that their application has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review? I know in past years there were separate emails sent when the application was complete and in queue for review and then once it was forwarded to the ADCOM, but I haven't seen anyone post yet about a separate email this year?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I got an email on July 26th that said,

"The Duke University Physician Assistant Program has received your CASPA, your Supplemental application, and your GRE scores. These are all the materials required to complete your application to our program. Your application has now been placed in a queue for review. During peak application time, it could take at least 6 weeks to hear from us. Please DO NOT call for a status check.
Candidates will be notified about interview decisions beginning in September through early December...."

Next Wednesday will be 6 weeks for me, but since that email, I haven't heard anything. My hope is that people start hearing something soon now that it is September.

Archived