2017-2018 Application Cycle

15 hours ago, lwalker said:

I need help!
I'm filling out the supp app now, and I'm confused on a couple things! What do we put under "explanation" beside the frequency of our job- where you put full time part time etc ?
Also- how did you guys answer agreeable & disagreeable aspects of responsibilities!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also needing help with the agreeable and disagreeable aspects D:   Helppp

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to everyone applying this round! I went through my emails and compiled my general timeline from last year's cycle, as I remember my unhealthy obsession of refreshing my inbox. Feel free to PM any questions!

• CASPA Received, Supplemental Link: 07/22/2016
  • Duke PA Application is complete: 07/26/2016
  • PA Application is being reviewed: 09/02/2016
  • Invitation to Interview: 09/13/2016
    • Predetermined Interview date: 10/24/2016
  • Offer of Admission: 10/31/2016
  • Deposit ($1125) and response due: 11/10/2016 
  • Email correspondences begin: March 2017

On July 1, 2017 at 1:41 AM, uwec96 said:

Go for it! My sGPA was 2.98 and I start next month:) Duke truly uses a holistic approach for admissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@uwec96 Any advice for those of us with lower than average GPAs? Mine is sitting at a 3.1 but I have almost 4000 patient contact hours. Thank you in advance!

On 7/19/2017 at 0:47 AM, WINO said:

Good luck to everyone applying this round! I went through my emails and compiled my general timeline from last year's cycle, as I remember my unhealthy obsession of refreshing my inbox. Feel free to PM any questions!

• CASPA Received, Supplemental Link: 07/22/2016
  • Duke PA Application is complete: 07/26/2016
  • PA Application is being reviewed: 09/02/2016
  • Invitation to Interview: 09/13/2016
    • Predetermined Interview date: 10/24/2016
  • Offer of Admission: 10/31/2016
  • Deposit ($1125) and response due: 11/10/2016 
  • Email correspondences begin: March 2017

Was the "application is complete email" sent by the admissions committee? Or was this just receipt of payment after the supplemental? 

[mention=76521]uwec96[/mention] Any advice for those of us with lower than average GPAs? Mine is sitting at a 3.1 but I have almost 4000 patient contact hours. Thank you in advance!

Part of it was sheer luck:) They took 21 people off the waitlist this cycle which is unusual. Browsing previous year's threads, it ranged from 0-15ish.

My GRE was 316 and I had strong LORs from my A&P professor, an MD, and my manager. I didn't opt to view them but I've worked with the MD and nurse manager for 9 years so they knew me well.

I also had a pretty good upward trend with classes in genetics, parasitology, biochemistry, nutritional biochemistry, immunology, and physics. My bad grades were from 25 years ago but, of course, they still affected my sGPA.

What probably tipped the scales in my favor was my HCE. I've been a cardiac RN for 9 years.

I read Andrew Rodican's PA school interview book and researched the faculty before my interview. Just be yourself and try not to give canned answers:)

Hope this helps! Duke PA forum god DPAP was a terrific resource last cycle. I'll try to follow in her footsteps this year.

Same boat as you guys on the 7/26 email. The waiting is awful, but don't hold too closely to the 6 weeks. This is actually my second time applying to Duke (interviewed and waitlisted last year) and I had a much, much longer wait then. I actually received this same email on 8/31 (I applied later last year) and I got my offer to interview on 12/14. That's 3.5 months! I've become a pro at waiting. Best of luck everyone!!

I'll second what futurePA94 said. I received my 'Under Review' e-mail 8/31. Interview invite 12/14 (which was the final day for interview offers). Interviewed 1/24. First waitlist number 2/8.

You also may interview early and be placed in review until the last January interviews are complete.

On 7/29/2017 at 9:41 AM, uwec96 said:

I'll second what futurePA94 said. I received my 'Under Review' e-mail 8/31. Interview invite 12/14 (which was the final day for interview offers). Interviewed 1/24. First waitlist number 2/8.

You also may interview early and be placed in review until the last January interviews are complete.

good lord almost 10 month wait from the time CASPA opened til you received your waitlist number... 

23 minutes ago, Piperpottamus said:

I haven't received it, yet. I filled out the supplemental info that was specific to each program in CASPA, but otherwise I have not seen that email. Should I reach out to someone? 

If it's been more than a week or two I would reach out and find out what is going on! It can't hurt! 

13 hours ago, Piperpottamus said:

I haven't received it, yet. I filled out the supplemental info that was specific to each program in CASPA, but otherwise I have not seen that email. Should I reach out to someone? 

YES! If you feel like its been long (compared to others on this forum) and you havent received the supplemental email, then yes call them. But first check your e-mail's SPAM or JUNK inboxes. 

I never received my supplemental email and was too shy to call and be annoying... eventually I did and found out it was sent months beforehand and was discarded from my junk box.  

Archived