Emergency Med Salary question

I am a student about to start a program in the Northeast. I am currently an EMT and at this stage, which is too early to tell, I have mostly envisioned myself working in emergency med after school. 

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a new grad (1-2 years exp) can make upwards of 140k+ by simply working one 8 hour overtime shift each week. (assuming 55/hr at 1920 hours would be 105k, time and a half at 82.5 with 8 hours per week is about 33k/year).

I know a lot of people will talk about burnout and I am sure it happens more often than not but I am accustomed to working about 70 hours per week over the last 4 years while taking pre-reqs and applying to schools. It kind of seems that in EM you can make as much money as you want. Is this true or is there a catch or multiple catches that I am missing?

*********Also, I didn't try to get into this field solely for the money but I will owe approximately 160,000 dollars when it is all said and done and it would be nice to pay down that debt down sooner rather than later.

yes, there is good money to be made in em, both as base salary and with overtime, but don't kill yourself. take the long view. do something you enjoy.

100-120k right out of school is not uncommon now  you can make a lot in overtime. I know several folks making north of 200k, but that is a lot of work....

Recalculate without the time and a half. As a PA you will be subject to "exempt" status. What this means is-- no overtime pay (straight time only). This is not across the board, but is very common in medicine. But either way, yes- you can make a lot o money with extra shifts. Another option is picking up extra shifts with a prn position. Since these positions do not give benefits, they are often paying something like $80/hr instead of the $55 you mentioned. 

Recalculate without the time and a half. As a PA you will be subject to "exempt" status. What this means is-- no overtime pay (straight time only). This is not across the board, but is very common in medicine. But either way, yes- you can make a lot o money with extra shifts. Another option is picking up extra shifts with a prn position. Since these positions do not give benefits, they are often paying something like $80/hr instead of the $55 you mentioned. 

This topic has come up before in discussion within these forums.  IIRC from those previous discussions (not in a good position to search at the moment) there is case law that supports OT compensation for PAs in line with established overtime rules.

I am a student about to start a program in the Northeast. I am currently an EMT and at this stage, which is too early to tell, I have mostly envisioned myself working in emergency med after school. 

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a new grad (1-2 years exp) can make upwards of 140k+ by simply working one 8 hour overtime shift each week. (assuming 55/hr at 1920 hours would be 105k, time and a half at 82.5 with 8 hours per week is about 33k/year).

I know a lot of people will talk about burnout and I am sure it happens more often than not but I am accustomed to working about 70 hours per week over the last 4 years while taking pre-reqs and applying to schools. It kind of seems that in EM you can make as much money as you want. Is this true or is there a catch or multiple catches that I am missing?

*********Also, I didn't try to get into this field solely for the money but I will owe approximately 160,000 dollars when it is all said and done and it would be nice to pay down that debt down sooner rather than later.

60-70 hour work week as an EMT does not equal 60-70 hour work week as an EM PA.  Not denigrating EMS work (did it), but it's different.  One patient at a time, limited resources, with the primary goal of getting them to the ED.  In the ED you're balancing 4-5 patients at a time and YOU.  CANT.   MISS.  ANYTHING.

That being said, you CAN and SHOULD make a lot of money in EM.  Recommend you work as much as you can in the first few years WITHOUT RAISING YOUR STANDARD OF LIVING.  Keep living like a student, and throw $70-$80K a year at your student loans.  You really can have them paid off in about 2 years.

Then cut back, enjoy a terrific life with a great income.

This topic has come up before in discussion within these forums.  IIRC from those previous discussions (not in a good position to search at the moment) there is case law that supports OT compensation for PAs in line with established overtime rules.

I am really not looking into a debate. The fact is, some places pay PAs as exempt employees and some don't. I was merely pointing this out to the OP so they can have an accurate outlook of their potential income. 

While some of you have the experience of getting paid time and a half, I have the experience of the opposite and so do many people I know that work at various hospitals in the area. 

I am really not looking into a debate. The fact is, some places pay PAs as exempt employees and some don't. I was merely pointing this out to the OP so they can have an accurate outlook of their potential income. 

While some of you have the experience of getting paid time and a half, I have the experience of the opposite and so do many people I know that work at various hospitals in the area. 

I wasn't looking to start a debate.  I was merely trying to contribute some additional information to your comments with the mention of case law.  More knowledge on the background of a particular topic is seldom a bad thing.  In the end if it helps the OP, or helps any of us who contribute here or reads these forums, then it's worthwhile, yes?

Hope your day gets better.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no catch and you are not missing anything.. Urgent care, not ER but did 50 hrs/wk year 1-2 out of school 1.5 rate over 40 hrs for 140k;160k respectively each year. If they are 12's you are still only working 4 days/wk. Not bad leaving 3 days to recoup each week.

• 1 month later...

It seems your math is wrong. Allow me to explain right after I point out my confusion with your assumption of a 1,920 hour work year. This assumes you would be working 4 out of 52 weeks for free or not at all without any PTO.

Basic Math (Assuming 55/hr Salary)

$55/hr @ 40 hours/wk for 52 weeks = $114,400 (2080 total hours)

$55/hr @ 8 hours/wk for 48 week = $21,120 (384 extra hours; 4 weeks off)

Total = $135,520 **Assumes 4 weeks of PTO and OT is not paid at 1 1/2.

--------------

$55/hr @ 40 hours/wk for 52 weeks = $114,400 (2080 total hours)

$82.50/hr @ 8 hours/wk for 48 week = $31,680 (384 extra hours; 4 weeks off)

Total = $146,080 **Assumes 4 weeks of PTO and OT IS paid at 1 1/2.

These posts really confuse me because the math is simple. Please keep in mind that hourly salary, PTO, and how OT pay is calculated varies by place of employment. I highly recommend you become familiar with how to calculate annual salaries based on working weeks etc.

Archived