South College 2018 Start

3 hours ago, gala9944 said:

Hi everyone! I plan on applying to South College in the upcoming 2018-2019 cycle and have not had any luck finding their matriculation demographics. Reason I ask is because I am from Central Florida and know that some programs prefer in-state applicants over out-of-state which is somewhat important to me before applying to out of state schools. If anyone who has been accepted or is a current student at South that can give me some feedback on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance! :)

Our current class is extremely diverse. We have people from Florida, Illinois, Washington, California, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Minnesota, as well as a few other states. In regards to preference between in-state vs out-of-state, I’ve been told (whether it’s 100% accurate or not) that applies a little to waitlisted individuals. For example, if a student decides not to attend south college 3 weeks before their first day, it’s easier to call up someone from Tennessee  (locally) to start right away than it would be for someone from California. Does that make sense? Other than that, they just want to right candidate and most of all, the right fit. Good luck!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, albae said:

What happened the first two cycles you applied? Did they give you any feedback?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I didn't apply to south, but I did send them an email with some questions, haven't heard yet :( did you get in?

On 2/20/2018 at 2:59 PM, LGonz said:

I received an interview invitation this morning for 3/16 as well, but will be declining it because I have accepted an admissions offer elsewhere. Hope this opens up a spot for someone else to interview! Good luck to all those waiting to hear back!

hey, I am a little confused over here, so south starts classes in January? right how are they interviewing in march? what is that I am not getting here?

thanks  

9 minutes ago, Ambreen said:

hey, I am a little confused over here, so south starts classes in January? right how are they interviewing in march? what is that I am not getting here?

thanks  

Hi! If the classes start in January then I'm assuming they're interviewing in March for the class that would matriculate in January of 2019. 

15 minutes ago, Ambreen said:

thanks  

Class does not start in January.  Orientation is in mid September and first day of class is the first week in October.  

A completed application must be submitted through the Centralized Applications Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). The application cycle for the January 2019 start will begin in April 2018, and the deadline for receipt of all materials to be e-submitted* in the CASPA application portal is August 1, 2018.

https://www.southuniversity.edu/tampa/areas-of-study/physician-assistant/physician-assistant-master-of-science-ms/applicationprocesspa

thanks everyone, that's what confusing me

A completed application must be submitted through the Centralized Applications Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). The application cycle for the January 2019 start will begin in April 2018, and the deadline for receipt of all materials to be e-submitted* in the CASPA application portal is August 1, 2018.
https://www.southuniversity.edu/tampa/areas-of-study/physician-assistant/physician-assistant-master-of-science-ms/applicationprocesspa
thanks everyone, that's what confusing me

That is the start date for South University this feed is for South College in Knoxville TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody have insight as to how many spots have been filled/how many are still open? Also, does having a master’s degree set you apart from those with just a bachelor’s?  I know some schools put candidates in different pools that have different degrees. 

On 4/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, Alagdpa said:

Does anybody have insight as to how many spots have been filled/how many are still open? Also, does having a master’s degree set you apart from those with just a bachelor’s?  I know some schools put candidates in different pools that have different degrees. 

There are six total interviews: November and Jan-May, 85 spots. Last year they interviewed ~180 candidates. If I had to guess, there are around 60 still to interview (roughly 30 tomorrow and 30 in May) and ~25 spots. That’s all an estimated guess. As for Master’s vs Bachelors, I have a masters degree along with a few others in my class. I felt it helped me show I could function in graduate level work, although PA school is probably far more difficult than most other masters program out there. Either way, if you have a high graduate gpa, it shows them you have the capability to succeed at multiple academic levels. Having a masters will not make or break you, but it can solidify any positives they see in you. Good luck.

I just found this statistic on the South College PA website which I believe was recently posted (or at least I didn't see it until now!!). Provides some good information about average GPA, GRE, and HCE hours of matriculating students! Hope it helps answer some questions! 

And here is the link to all the information posted about the success of the program... super informative in my opinion!! https://cdn.south.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Success-of-the-Program-in-Achieving-its-Goals_2016_1219.pdfScreen Shot 2018-04-20 at 2.27.35 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 7:05 PM, mc9214 said:

I too have similar stats as you and the other person who posted above.  My post - bacc sGPA is 3.8 but my overall sci is 2.9 =/. Honestly, I am wondering the same thing. A lot of programs claim to have a holistic approach on selecting candidates.. so I think thats where all hope comes from for people like us with lower GPAs. It is discouraging to here that there is an additional GPA minimum to interview but I guess with so many applicants they have to weed people out somehow. Don't lose hope yet !!! If anything we could always retake classes and apply next cycle...

Don't even sweat it! Just get some awesome experience on your belt. My science GPA stats are just like yours and I was able to interview at 2 schools this cycle. I didn't get in but I'm very content that I was able to get an interview somewhere my first cycle of applying. 

My buddy from high school got into PA school this cycle with a low cum and sci GPA. This was his 2nd time applying. If you need some motivation and tips, check out his blog. Its really helps to paint a picture of how you can make yourself competitive in a sea of competitive GPAs: https://www.aaronangkor.com/medicine

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I was at yesterday’s interview and was offered a seat in the class! I am so excited to meet you all and start the program.

Those who were waitlisted, or reapplying, please do not give up. This has been my third CASPA application cycle and it has taken years to boost up my GPA and healthcare experience. I contacted the school as much as I could with updates, took any advice I could get and made my application as competitive as I could. It was my second interview with the program. Don’t give up, persistence will pay off. Best of luck!

Archived