South College 2018 Start

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, microbio14 said:

When did you apply to the program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mg023 said:

Congrats! What’re your stats if you don’t mind sharing? Still waiting emoji28.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted my app Aug 1, so I kind of started to think I wasn't going to get an interview since others who submitted later have already interviewed. Just goes to show you never know and you should never count yourself out! As far as stats go . . . cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.4 and graduate GPA 4.0. I had to go back to school to complete my pre-reqs for PA school, so my GPA in pre-reqs was a 3.9.  I have a bachelor's in Social Work and master's in Social Work and family therapy. About 4,000 pce working in a group home, working with at-risk youth, and at the state psychiatric hospital. 80 hours shadowing PAs several fields and a little over 400 hours volunteering with Boys & Girls Club and at a local ED. GRE score was 312

On 2/19/2018 at 6:10 PM, lauren7409 said:

Hi! I applied august 2017. I have 5000+ direct patient care hours, 100 volunteer hours, 100 shadowing hours, 288 GRE (lower end i know), 3.2 Overall GPA, 2.98 Science GPA. I haven't heard back I did speak to Ms. Bromei and she said they have all my materials and nothing else is needed at this time. Do you think I still have a chance for interview and if not what should i do to change my application given that this is my 3rd year applying?

Our GPAs are almost identical. My GRE and HCE are quite a bit higher than yours, and I have yet to be contacted for an interview. I am currently taking classes to improve my GPA and broaden the possibilities for other programs. PA school is so competitive that GPAs like ours don't cut it. Sorry, just being honest. 

16 hours ago, Massilu814 said:

I submitted my app Aug 1, so I kind of started to think I wasn't going to get an interview since others who submitted later have already interviewed. Just goes to show you never know and you should never count yourself out! As far as stats go . . . cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.4 and graduate GPA 4.0. I had to go back to school to complete my pre-reqs for PA school, so my GPA in pre-reqs was a 3.9.  I have a bachelor's in Social Work and master's in Social Work and family therapy. About 4,000 pce working in a group home, working with at-risk youth, and at the state psychiatric hospital. 80 hours shadowing PAs several fields and a little over 400 hours volunteering with Boys & Girls Club and at a local ED. GRE score was 312

Okay, wow. You have amazing stats! I hope you rock the interview because you clearly deserve it!

21 minutes ago, FuturePAmc said:

For those asking about sGPA, I spoke with Ms. Boromei today and they are currently interviewing those with sGPA of 3.4 and above. It may drop to 3.3 but probably not below. 

If anyone's interested, I had a 3.44 cGPA and 3.28 sGPA and was accepted from the February 16th interview. Granted I attend a top 10 university but I assume they still look at the overall application when they invite individuals to interview. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, prepastudent2018 said:

If anyone's interested, I had a 3.44 cGPA and 3.28 sGPA and was accepted from the February 16th interview. Granted I attend a top 10 university but I assume they still look at the overall application when they invite individuals to interview. 

I don't think having the mark of "Top 10 University" accounts for much as there are too many factors to say what IS a top 10 university. As long as it is a 4 year.

Does anyone know when the next interview is in April or March? 

Also, does anyone have any type of information on what the interview is like? Such as: how many are interviewed at one time, do you find out if you are accepted in or not, and/or how would you rate the school? 

On 3/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, ERPA19 said:

Does anyone know when the next interview is in April or March? 

Also, does anyone have any type of information on what the interview is like? Such as: how many are interviewed at one time, do you find out if you are accepted in or not, and/or how would you rate the school? 

Interview day starts with an informal meet & greet with current students, followed by a formal introduction of the program and faculty, then a school tour. Group interviews are before lunch, lunch is provided, then individual interviews after lunch, which is where they'll tell you if you're accepted/waitlisted/rejected. 

On 3/10/2018 at 2:24 AM, KaBax said:

Interview day starts with an informal meet & greet with current students, followed by a formal introduction of the program and faculty, then a school tour. Group interviews are before lunch, lunch is provided, then individual interviews after lunch, which is where they'll tell you if you're accepted/waitlisted/rejected. 

Thank you for the info. 

I was hoping to get an interview since my gpa is a 3.85 and my science is a 3.5. Does have any suggestions on what to do to improve my chances of getting an interview at South? I’ve had a previous interview at another school but I was waitlisted. I only have around 1,000 pt hours and I have a 304 on the GRE. 

3 hours ago, ERPA19 said:

Thank you for the info. 

I was hoping to get an interview since my gpa is a 3.85 and my science is a 3.5. Does have any suggestions on what to do to improve my chances of getting an interview at South? I’ve had a previous interview at another school but I was waitlisted. I only have around 1,000 pt hours and I have a 304 on the GRE. 

Your stats are very similar to others who have gotten interviews and been accepted. My advice would be to call South College and ask to speak to Deborah Boromei (the admissions coordinator). She is very nice. Ask her if they are still pulling applications for interviews. Just calling and showing interest will greatly improve your chances. The only thing I could suggest to further strengthen your application is making sure you have all the suggested courses they recommend. Good luck! 

Good Afternoon. Wow amazing stats. I am very passionate about becoming a PA. I applied to South College and received an email stating my application was complete 2/26. I have two bachelor degrees (Biological Science and Clinical Laboratory Science) My GPA is a 2.9 cumulative and my GRE score 289 with a 4.0 Writing.  I science GPA from my first degree was a 2.5 but it was a 3.1 with my second degree combined it is a 2.7. I have spoke with Ms. Deborah, very nice individual. Do I even have a chance for this cycle. I have over 2500 clinical hours, I shadow a PA friend prn.  I have strong references and a great essay. I still have not heard back but I do see there are interviews for 04/16.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:58 PM, FPADumas said:

Good Afternoon. Wow amazing stats. I am very passionate about becoming a PA. I applied to South College and received an email stating my application was complete 2/26. I have two bachelor degrees (Biological Science and Clinical Laboratory Science) My GPA is a 2.9 cumulative and my GRE score 289 with a 4.0 Writing.  I science GPA from my first degree was a 2.5 but it was a 3.1 with my second degree combined it is a 2.7. I have spoke with Ms. Deborah, very nice individual. Do I even have a chance for this cycle. I have over 2500 clinical hours, I shadow a PA friend prn.  I have strong references and a great essay. I still have not heard back but I do see there are interviews for 04/16.

I too have similar stats as you and the other person who posted above.  My post - bacc sGPA is 3.8 but my overall sci is 2.9 =/. Honestly, I am wondering the same thing. A lot of programs claim to have a holistic approach on selecting candidates.. so I think thats where all hope comes from for people like us with lower GPAs. It is discouraging to here that there is an additional GPA minimum to interview but I guess with so many applicants they have to weed people out somehow. Don't lose hope yet !!! If anything we could always retake classes and apply next cycle...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 5:00 PM, Jdabrowski said:

Hello all! I am one of the unlucky re-applicants that will be reapplying to this program for the 2018 start. Even though I need to reapply, I am not discouraged :) So, who all is applying to this program?

hey don't say that, it will be my 3rd cycle applying :(

Archived