South College 2018 Start

What kind of direct patient care experience do you have? My GPA is 3.29 overall, 3.78 graduate, GRE 309, 15 YRS as an RN. Second time applying and haven't heard anything despite e-mailing Mrs.Boromei. Am I missing something, or is my GPA just too low? I'm taking additional classes now to prepare me to apply to some other schools, but South is my top pick. Any advice out there? Thanks!

I haven’t received an interview from them so I can’t tell you what you’re missing, in all honesty. For their minimum being 2.75, your GRE being good, and you having that many years of experience, I would assume you’re a very strong applicant! My patient care experience included: orthopedic intern that basically did everything a MA does, CNA in a hospital setting, direct support staff in home health care, medical mission trip, behavioral health assistant at drug and alcohol rehab. She’s emailed me back a few times but she’s asked me to call her twice and she hasn’t gotten back to me.... so idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, OldEDRN said:

What kind of direct patient care experience do you have? My GPA is 3.29 overall, 3.78 graduate, GRE 309, 15 YRS as an RN. Second time applying and haven't heard anything despite e-mailing Mrs.Boromei. Am I missing something, or is my GPA just too low? I'm taking additional classes now to prepare me to apply to some other schools, but South is my top pick. Any advice out there? Thanks!

What’s your science GPA? Great resume, by the way.

7 minutes ago, OldEDRN said:

2.88 per CASPA. I realize that may be causing a problem, but I feel the rest of my application helps to even that out. That may not be the way everyone sees it, though. Thanks. 

Yeah, the rest of your application is very competitive. Are you retaking any of those science classes?

Just now, jmk0512 said:

Yeah, the rest of your application is very competitive. Are you retaking any of those science classes?

No, some of them I can't retake, unless I go back to nursing school. I am taking ochem 1 and retaking microbiology with a lab since my previously taken micro had no lab. 

On 1/27/2018 at 6:51 PM, OldEDRN said:

No, some of them I can't retake, unless I go back to nursing school. I am taking ochem 1 and retaking microbiology with a lab since my previously taken micro had no lab. 

If this helps, for my post-interview feedback (I ended up getting waitlisted after the first interview session), they gave me specific classes they wanted me to take while waitlisted. Most of my upper div sciences classes were through my somewhat unique major or through the affiliated medical school, so they weren't clear cut "biology" or "chemistry" labeled courses and I feel the rigor may have been underestimated... They suggested genetics and some others I don't remember. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

On 1/29/2018 at 3:21 PM, m1993 said:

After reading the forum, has anyone gotten an interview or accepted with GRE lower than 150 in one section? I have 149, 155, and 5.0, just curious if they’re looking for applicants with 150 in both only 

I was told by Mrs. Boromei that a 150 is what they are looking for. If your GPA is high they may just be working their way down the scale. I dont think 1 pt can make that big of a difference if you have a high gpa and good contact hours. 

33 minutes ago, prepastudent2018 said:

Hey y'all! I just received an invitation to interview with South on February 16th and am really excited! I was wondering if anyone could speak a little to the school's reputation overall. From my research I learned that this college is a proprietary institution which concerns me a little bit especially coupled with the negative feedback found across the web. This feedback was not directed at the PA program in anyway, but towards other educational opportunities at South. I guess I am mainly interested if anyone knows a student who has attended (or is a current student) and could speak to wether or not the faculty were qualified/supportive, the value of didactic year, and the caliber of clinical sites visited. It seems like South is a great school based on their PANCE pass rate and website mission statement, but their overall ranking is kind of throwing me for a loop!! Can't wait to meet everyone else interviewing on the 16th! 

I am not a current student, hoping to get invited for an interview this year. ARC-PA has granted accreditation-continued to South which means they meet all the requirements of running a successful PA program. This accreditation isn’t easy. 

Also if you look back through this thread I believe, multiple current students have commented. I recall reading one and I’m not sure if it’s on this thread or not, but that the student felt very confident and knowledgeable going into clinical rotations, feeling the didactic component really prepared them. I think there are a few current students on this thread, maybe some of them will chime in too! 

1 hour ago, prepastudent2018 said:

Hey y'all! I just received an invitation to interview with South on February 16th and am really excited! I was wondering if anyone could speak a little to the school's reputation overall. From my research I learned that this college is a proprietary institution which concerns me a little bit especially coupled with the negative feedback found across the web. This feedback was not directed at the PA program in anyway, but towards other educational opportunities at South. I guess I am mainly interested if anyone knows a student who has attended (or is a current student) and could speak to wether or not the faculty were qualified/supportive, the value of didactic year, and the caliber of clinical sites visited. It seems like South is a great school based on their PANCE pass rate and accreditation, but their overall ranking is kind of throwing me for a loop!! Can't wait to meet everyone else interviewing on the 16th! 

I’m a current PA student here. I would almost guarantee that South is one of the most difficult PA programs around. I’m not saying this to frighten you, but to let you know that South graduates some of the best PA’s. Our preceptors, ask any of them, will attest that South PA students are more prepared than most residents coming out of med school. The curriculum is extremely intense. The faculty is brilliant and experienced. Our dean was one of the first graduating PA’s in America. I have several PA student friends across the country... they all have more free time, fewer exams, and a better life balance. But I will say one thing, I choose to be excellent. I choose to be the best provider for my patients. I want my patients to look up from the hospital bed and feel assured that I know what to do. South offers that and more. We are constantly forced to be outside of our comfort zone, make mistakes, and learn from failure. We are constantly tested and retested and retested. I can’t vouch for the undergrad reviews. But our board pass rate, job offers (we avg 3 offers per student upon graduation), and faculty, we may not have as much free time, but we’re unbelievable prepared. Hope this helps your decision. You’ll see what I mean in two weeks. Good luck!

1 hour ago, jmk0512 said:

I’m a current PA student here. I would almost guarantee that South is one of the most difficult PA programs around. I’m not saying this to frighten you, but to let you know that South graduates some of the best PA’s. Our preceptors, ask any of them, will attest that South PA students are more prepared than most residents coming out of med school. The curriculum is extremely intense. The faculty is brilliant and experienced. Our dean was one of the first graduating PA’s in America. I have several PA student friends across the country... they all have more free time, fewer exams, and a better life balance. But I will say one thing, I choose to be excellent. I choose to be the best provider for my patients. I want my patients to look up from the hospital bed and feel assured that I know what to do. South offers that and more. We are constantly forced to be outside of our comfort zone, make mistakes, and learn from failure. We are constantly tested and retested and retested. I can’t vouch for the undergrad reviews. But our board pass rate, job offers (we avg 3 offers per student upon graduation), and faculty, we may not have as much free time, but we’re unbelievable prepared. Hope this helps your decision. You’ll see what I mean in two weeks. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I haven't had the opportunity to visit South as I am from out of town, but i'm very excited to interview and learn more about the program! From everything I've read specifically about the physician assistant program most students love it and i'm excited to be able to speak with more of the current students, faculty, and staff! I especially love the diversity of clinical rotations that South offers so it is comforting to hear that you felt prepared! Best of luck as you continue with your studies! 

I applied in September but have not heard anything yet but considering that applications don’t close until March and by reading this thread, I guess it’s normal. However, since then I completed a semester of graduate school so should I email them asking if I need to send in a transcript? Or will they not take it now? Thanks!

1 hour ago, rpat11394 said:

I applied in September but have not heard anything yet but considering that applications don’t close until March and by reading this thread, I guess it’s normal. However, since then I completed a semester of graduate school so should I email them asking if I need to send in a transcript? Or will they not take it now? Thanks!

When I spoke to Ms. Bromei, she said to update her with my transcript. I have 5 week classes so I take about 28-32 credits a semester and said each time I finish classes to update her. I would send her an email or give her a call she is super nice. 

22 hours ago, ERPA19 said:

When I spoke to Ms. Bromei, she said to update her with my transcript. I have 5 week classes so I take about 28-32 credits a semester and said each time I finish classes to update her. I would send her an email or give her a call she is super nice. 

Oh okay, gotchya! Would you be able to send me Ms. Bromei’s email? Thank you! 

I was wondering if current student can tell me about the south PA program? I have heard mix of things from many people. I know Ms Bromei is very nice and helpful but I wanted to know about other things like how are professor and student relationships? Pretty much, Why did you choose south over other colleges for PA program. Thanks to anyone who answers. 

Hi! I’m so thrilled to have been accepted from the February 16th round of interviews! I have a few questions for anybody of the current or past students that still look at this forum -

1. How do you think Souths status as a proprietary or for profit college affects your education 

2. It seemed during the tour that some of the facilities were limited as far as space. I know South has a big class.. is there competition for time with the stimulators/ mock cases? 

3. Suggestions on where to live? 

Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, prepastudent2018 said:

Hi! I’m so thrilled to have been accepted from the February 16th round of interviews! I have a few questions for anybody of the current or past students that still look at this forum -

1. How do you think Souths status as a proprietary or for profit college affects your education 

2. It seemed during the tour that some of the facilities were limited as far as space. I know South has a big class.. is there competition for time with the stimulators/ mock cases? 

3. Suggestions on where to live? 

Thank you so much!

Current clinical year student here.

1. Not really noticeable. I think they’re more inclined to keep you in the program because South has accepted you and wants your money. 

2. There is no competition for simulation or mock cases.  That has never been a problem.  Everyone gets more than their share, trust me.  

3. Bell walkers crossing, amberigh bluff, Lovell crossing, fox lake are the major players in our class.  

5 hours ago, 8404PA said:

Current clinical year student here.

1. Not really noticeable. I think they’re more inclined to keep you in the program because South has accepted you and wants your money. 

2. There is no competition for simulation or mock cases.  That has never been a problem.  Everyone gets more than their share, trust me.  

3. Bell walkers crossing, amberigh bluff, Lovell crossing, fox lake are the major players in our class.  

Thank you so much!  

Hi! I applied august 2017. I have 5000+ direct patient care hours, 100 volunteer hours, 100 shadowing hours, 288 GRE (lower end i know), 3.2 Overall GPA, 2.98 Science GPA. I haven't heard back I did speak to Ms. Bromei and she said they have all my materials and nothing else is needed at this time. Do you think I still have a chance for interview and if not what should i do to change my application given that this is my 3rd year applying?

2 hours ago, lauren7409 said:

Hi! I applied august 2017. I have 5000+ direct patient care hours, 100 volunteer hours, 100 shadowing hours, 288 GRE (lower end i know), 3.2 Overall GPA, 2.98 Science GPA. I haven't heard back I did speak to Ms. Bromei and she said they have all my materials and nothing else is needed at this time. Do you think I still have a chance for interview and if not what should i do to change my application given that this is my 3rd year applying?

Hey! I would recommend retaking classes and the GRE. while your health care and volunteering hours shows that you have the desire and experience to be a PA, I think the admissions committee would encourage you to strengthen your academic knowledge and skills before throwing you into something as academically rigorous as pa school! Good luck! 

Archived