South College 2018 Start

2 hours ago, sbtexas said:

Hey guys! Do you think it would be too late to apply? 

I'd call the school and ask how many interviews are left, and how many spots are left to fill. You can also ask if they have an unofficial cutoff for GPA that they're filtering for, or anything like that. I don't know of that's the case for this school (I haven't heard anything back yet), but it definitely is for some. Even if a school is holistic and accepts a wide range of applicants, they might have already filled up the spots reserved for 'people who will lower our average, but show great promise'. It'll take a few minutes to call, so I'd just do that Monday morning! Good luck!  

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, sbtexas said:

Hey guys! Do you think it would be too late to apply? 

Hey, I’m a current PA student at South. I have several people in my class who submitted their app in March and was accepted. Typically, interviews go through May (sometimes there are two May interview dates). We didn’t have a May interview last year because we were up for accreditation, however, they had 2 interviews in April to make up for it. Apply apply apply... if there’s one thing I’ve learned about the process is you never know what’s going to happen. Good luck

15 hours ago, flyfish95 said:

Does anyone have an idea of how many people they have accepted yet?

Hey, I volunteered for the last interview and I believe they accepted approximately 10 from the October interview.. waistlisted a handful, too. But the fall interview is very small relative to the ones in the Spring. Good luck.

21 hours ago, Member12345 said:

I'd call the school and ask how many interviews are left, and how many spots are left to fill. You can also ask if they have an unofficial cutoff for GPA that they're filtering for, or anything like that. I don't know of that's the case for this school (I haven't heard anything back yet), but it definitely is for some. Even if a school is holistic and accepts a wide range of applicants, they might have already filled up the spots reserved for 'people who will lower our average, but show great promise'. It'll take a few minutes to call, so I'd just do that Monday morning! Good luck!  

6 hours ago, jmk0512 said:

Hey, I’m a current PA student at South. I have several people in my class who submitted their app in March and was accepted. Typically, interviews go through May (sometimes there are two May interview dates). We didn’t have a May interview last year because we were up for accreditation, however, they had 2 interviews in April to make up for it. Apply apply apply... if there’s one thing I’ve learned about the process is you never know what’s going to happen. Good luck

Thank you both SO much for the feedback! I'm going to call, I went ahead and applied anyway just to take a chance! 

18 minutes ago, sbtexas said:

Thank you both SO much for the feedback! I'm going to call, I went ahead and applied anyway just to take a chance! 

Sure, happy to help. Call and ask for Deborah Boromei. If you can’t get a hold of her, let me know and I’ll talk to her tomorrow.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, jmk0512 said:

Hi @jmk0512 ,

Do you think that if I applied in November and havent heard anything that means that I probably wont get an interview?

2 hours ago, ERPA19 said:

Hi @jmk0512 ,

Do you think that if I applied in November and havent heard anything that means that I probably wont get an interview?

No, not at all. I have several classmates that applied in Sept/Oct that didn’t interview until February or March. One big thing that happened to a lot of people was the fact that there was something missing from their app (grades, LOT’s, fees, etc).

I applied in October and didn’t receive an invite until February. Like you, I thought I wasn’t going to get an interview. I called Deborah and she said she’s waiting on my final grades to come through (I had already sent them to her, so this didn’t make any sense). I told her I sent them to her already and she was able to confirm over the phone that something must have happened and she did in fact have my grades. I received an interview invite the next day.

Call Deborah, ask if there anything outstanding in your app. If not, it’s always good to still express your interest in South and if there’s anything you can do to increase your chance of an invite. Deborah ALWAYS remembers the applicants that have personally reached out.. hope this helped. Good luck!

I have a little bit of info. I actually called and was able to speak with Ms Boromei. Shes very nice and super helpful. She essentially told me that interviews would go all the way into May and to be patient. It seems like they start interviews with people on the higher GPA scale and move down from there. In order to determine interview eligibility, they look at gpa, GRE and HCE (in that order). Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, jmk0512 said:

No, not at all. I have several classmates that applied in Sept/Oct that didn’t interview until February or March. One big thing that happened to a lot of people was the fact that there was something missing from their app (grades, LOT’s, fees, etc).

I applied in October and didn’t receive an invite until February. Like you, I thought I wasn’t going to get an interview. I called Deborah and she said she’s waiting on my final grades to come through (I had already sent them to her, so this didn’t make any sense). I told her I sent them to her already and she was able to confirm over the phone that something must have happened and she did in fact have my grades. I received an interview invite the next day.

Call Deborah, ask if there anything outstanding in your app. If not, it’s always good to still express your interest in South and if there’s anything you can do to increase your chance of an invite. Deborah ALWAYS remembers the applicants that have personally reached out.. hope this helped. Good luck!

Thank you so much @jmk0512  I tried calling twice today, but she was not at her desk. I will try again tomorrow.  Did you do you anything on your end to update the error?

39 minutes ago, ERPA19 said:

Thank you so much @jmk0512  I tried calling twice today, but she was not at her desk. I will try again tomorrow.  Did you do you anything on your end to update the error?

We had a weather delay today so that might be why she didn’t pick up. But no, it was actually an issue on their end which was why I was confused why I hadn’t hear anything. Unfortunately, we can do everything right on our end, yet it ultimately ends up in the admissions office. I had to stay on top of everything even though I did everything right.

Thank you so much [mention=136828]jmk0512[/mention]  I tried calling twice today, but she was not at her desk. I will try again tomorrow.  Did you do you anything on your end to update the error?

I’ve tried calling her twice when she’s asked me to via email and she hasn’t answered nor has she emailed me back both times. So I hope you have better luck than me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, haleycmaxwell said:

I’ve tried calling her twice when she’s asked me to via email and she hasn’t answered nor has she emailed me back both times. So I hope you have better luck than me lol

@haleycmaxwell

I had a chance to speak with Ms. Boromei. She told me to get my GRE score to 150 in each area and then i would be offered an interview due to my gpa. I have a 3.8 overall and 3.5 science. She did give me the wrong email. WHich did she give you?

[mention=138593]haleycmaxwell[/mention]
I had a chance to speak with Ms. Boromei. She told me to get my GRE score to 150 in each area and then i would be offered an interview due to my gpa. I have a 3.8 overall and 3.5 science. She did give me the wrong email. WHich did she give you?

She was emailing back and forth with me.... so I had the correct email..... do you mean wrong phone #?

She was emailing back and forth with me.... so I had the correct email..... do you mean wrong phone #?

Would you be able to post her mail? I spoke with her on the phone yesterday but need to find the best place to mail my transcript since it got lost in the mail!

I was invited yesterday to an interview for February 16th. However, I am respectfully declining for I have been accepted/attending Thomas Jefferson. Good luck all! Luckily the email states you would know of your acceptance by the end of the interview day if you are invited.

Take care.

On 1/18/2018 at 0:59 PM, ERPA19 said:

@haleycmaxwell

Just curious, is it required to have a 150 in each area? I have a 149V and 156Q...?

10 minutes ago, sbtexas said:

Just curious, is it required to have a 150 in each area? I have a 149V and 156Q...?

No requirement. I have a 147V and 151Q. My gpa is a 3.8 overall and 3.5 science. She said that my verbal would get me an instant interview if I got to 150 basically so its weird that she is requesting that even though they do not list a dorect number set on the website. 

15 hours ago, ERPA19 said:

No requirement. I have a 147V and 151Q. My gpa is a 3.8 overall and 3.5 science. She said that my verbal would get me an instant interview if I got to 150 basically so its weird that she is requesting that even though they do not list a dorect number set on the website. 

Hmm that is weird. So I guess I should probably take it again then... Good luck to you btw! 

15 minutes ago, sbtexas said:

Hmm that is weird. So I guess I should probably take it again then... Good luck to you btw! 

I mean yours is way better than mine. I wouldnt do it if you dont want to. Someone told me they got in towards the end of April with a lower gpa and same gre score. 

I mean yours is way better than mine. I wouldnt do it if you dont want to. Someone told me they got in towards the end of April with a lower gpa and same gre score. 

It’s ok bc she also told me to get a more direct patient care job when I explained that I was trying to update my hours when I began my new job as a registered pharmacy tech (I already have ~4,000 hours of direct patient care experience and I was just trying to diversify my application and learn something new) so I’m not sure where some stuff that’s told to us comes from

3 hours ago, haleycmaxwell said:

It’s ok bc she also told me to get a more direct patient care job when I explained that I was trying to update my hours when I began my new job as a registered pharmacy tech (I already have ~4,000 hours of direct patient care experience and I was just trying to diversify my application and learn something new) so I’m not sure where some stuff that’s told to us comes from

What kind of direct patient care experience do you have? My GPA is 3.29 overall, 3.78 graduate, GRE 309, 15 YRS as an RN. Second time applying and haven't heard anything despite e-mailing Mrs.Boromei. Am I missing something, or is my GPA just too low? I'm taking additional classes now to prepare me to apply to some other schools, but South is my top pick. Any advice out there? Thanks!

Archived