South College 2018 Start

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all! I am one of the unlucky re-applicants that will be reapplying to this program for the 2018 January start. Even though I need to reapply, I am not discouraged :) So, who all is applying to this program?

I'm applying for the 2018 cycle, I didn't know they had a start date of January 2018 I thought it was fall?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I'm a current student, willing to attempt to answer any and all questions. I graduate this December, so I can answer clinicals-related questions, too. :)

Hello! Do you mind sharing yorur stats and background as far as healthcare experience? Also, what do you like most about the program?

I knew I wanted to go to PA school in college, so I only worked as a nurse aide for about 5 months. My strengths on my application were my GPA, the upper-level biology courses I'd taken, and my GRE score. I'd also done quite a bit of shadowing of PAs in different specialties.

As far as what I like most about the program, I'm going to be cheesy and say the people. My classmates are incredible. The teaching staff is amazing. On a more serious note, I've been in clinicals for 6 months, and I felt 100% ready from day 1. A big part of why I chose South was that at my interview a clinical year student came and talked to us, and she said that South has a reputation in the community for really impressing preceptors with how well-prepared we are to actually function out in the clinic/hospital. And what she said was absolutely true. I couldn't believe how confident I felt day 1 of clinicals. During didactic, I had been so nervous about starting, but when I got out there, I suddenly realized much I knew.

I knew I wanted to go to PA school in college, so I only worked as a nurse aide for about 5 months. My strengths on my application were my GPA, the upper-level biology courses I'd taken, and my GRE score. I'd also done quite a bit of shadowing of PAs in different specialties.

As far as what I like most about the program, I'm going to be cheesy and say the people. My classmates are incredible. The teaching staff is amazing. On a more serious note, I've been in clinicals for 6 months, and I felt 100% ready from day 1. A big part of why I chose South was that at my interview a clinical year student came and talked to us, and she said that South has a reputation in the community for really impressing preceptors with how well-prepared we are to actually function out in the clinic/hospital. And what she said was absolutely true. I couldn't believe how confident I felt day 1 of clinicals. During didactic, I had been so nervous about starting, but when I got out there, I suddenly realized much I knew.

Thank you so much. I live in South Florida and won't be able to actually visit the school or program unless I get an interview so this insight into what a current student has experienced with the program is truly invaluable. 

Thank you for your story and sharing it with us! It's truly a pleasure to hear from a current student. Hopefully we will get the chance to meet if offered and interview! When do they start sending out invites or rejections? 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I simply missed this on the website, but is South College on rolling admissions?

Also, does anyone have any information about the type of GRE scores they look for in an applicant? Any percentile range applicants should fall in or .. ? I sent them an email, but still waiting for a response!

Thanks in advanced :) 

On 6/29/2017 at 9:34 PM, chiakipoo said:

Not sure if I simply missed this on the website, but is South College on rolling admissions?

Also, does anyone have any information about the type of GRE scores they look for in an applicant? Any percentile range applicants should fall in or .. ? I sent them an email, but still waiting for a response!

Hey Chiakipoo,

I didn't see any exact numbers on the website as it will vary from class to class and depending on the types of applicants. According to what I have heard about them they look at applications as a whole and not exclusively test scores and GPA, although it is an important part. They consider activities such as shadowing, community service, and healthcare experience. If you have a low GRE a higher GPA or extracurricular hours are to your benefit or vice versa, 

1 hour ago, DD2PA said:

Has anyone heard anything?

Talked to Deborah today for you all. The first interview will be in October and the invites for that interview will go out sometime around August. Subsequent interviews will start in January from there on out. 

8 hours ago, 8404PA said:

Talked to Deborah today for you all. The first interview will be in October and the invites for that interview will go out sometime around August. Subsequent interviews will start in January from there on out. 

Thank you so much!!

On 6/29/2017 at 8:34 PM, chiakipoo said:

I called the day I was taking my GRE and the lovely woman told me that the "competitive" GRE scores are 150 150 and 4.5 writing  :) 

2 hours ago, Thehopefulallyx said:

I wonder how many applicants apply to this program, I feel like its a great program that very few people know about! Does anyone know the acceptance rate or stats like that?

the stats are in the ballpark of >2,200 applications for 85 seats which is about 0.038%. That's really not bad - relatively.

How do you increase your chances for getting into this program?
CASPA GPA's >3.3, GRE>300, 1,500 HCE that's hands on (not just being a scribe or some observer), Military service, plenty of volunteer hours, leadership roles. Again, real HCE. 

DO PRACTICE MOCK INTEVIEWS

So you get an interview, how do you get them to say yes?
Read and memorize Andy Rodican's book, "How to ACE the PA school Interview". Be very likable, smile as much as possible, eye contact. Ask questions but keep them limited, I've seen faculty become annoyed because invites asks >20-30 questions for the just the sake of asking questions, do your research. What question do they love here? Why South College? So do your research and know how to answer that. I know people can't help it but, do your best not to be weird. To be a PA you have to have fantastic people skills, communication and an un-tangible likability. The faculty are looking for qualified applicants that they can see becoming their future peers and have positive relationships with their patients. All in all though, be yourself. 

So you got waitlisted
Update Deborah! She pulls people (10 or more) off every year. She likes the applicants who keep her updated on their progress and who continue to improve themselves. 

3 minutes ago, 8404PA said:

the stats are in the ballpark of >2,200 applications for 85 seats which is about 0.038%. That's really not bad - relatively.

How do you increase your chances for getting into this program?
CASPA GPA's >3.3, GRE>300, 1,500 HCE that's hands on (not just being a scribe or some observer), Military service, plenty of volunteer hours, leadership roles. Again, real HCE. 

So you get an interview, how do you get them to say yes?
Read and memorize Andy Rodican's book, "How to ACE the PA school Interview". Be very likable, smile as much as possible, eye contact. Ask questions but keep them limited, I've seen faculty become annoyed because invites asks >20-30 questions for the just the sake of asking questions, do your research. What question do they love here? Why South College? So do your research and know how to answer that. I know people can't help it but, do your best not to be weird. To be a PA you have to have fantastic people skills, communication and an un-tangible likability. The faculty are looking for qualified applicants that they can see becoming their future peers and have positive relationships with their patients. All in all though, be yourself. 

Thank you so much for your help, This is my top choice school and I am so worried about my chances. I also do not know if I will be invited to interview because I haven't taken bio 2 specifically, Ive taken so many upper level biology courses and excelled. My HCE is over 2,800 hours! So nervous!! 

1 minute ago, Thehopefulallyx said:

I haven't taken bio 2 specifically, Ive taken so many upper level biology courses and excelled.

I would call deborah if I was you, if your ARE qualified but get overlooked because of this - that would suck. She will 100% take care of you and make sure you're straightened out and good to go. There ARE people in my class who missed a bio class and were accepted, they just had to take the "missing" class before the start of the program. For example, one guy in my class took several high level bio's but after his acceptance in the program "they" realized his bio 101 wasn't recognized or he didn't take it (i don't remember which) and he simply took that bio 101 class at a community college over the summer. 

4 minutes ago, 8404PA said:

I would call deborah if I was you, if your ARE qualified but get overlooked because of this - that would suck. She will 100% take care of you and make sure you're straightened out and good to go. There ARE people in my class who missed a bio class and were accepted, they just had to take the "missing" class before the start of the program. For example, one guy in my class took several high level bio's but after his acceptance in the program "they" realized his bio 101 wasn't recognized or he didn't take it (i don't remember which) and he simply took that bio 101 class at a community college over the summer. 

Perfect! Thank you so much for all of your help! :) 

Hey guys.  I'm new to the forum.  I am working on my CASPA application for South College.  I have one more prereq to take this fall semester.  I still need to take the GRE as well.  I have noticed on this thread many people are commenting they have already submitted their applications.  I know the published deadline is March 1, 2018.  Am I at a disadvantage by submitting my application around January?

Archived