I'm a first year student and I just made an account, because reading all of this made me terribly sad. I love it here under our new program director. I love my class and the faculty. It is clear to me that the faculty all care so deeply about the students and work tirelessly on our behalf so that we may become competent healthcare providers and succeed. I've gotten replies to my emails at 4am and was amazed that they were up working at such an early hour. They all take our feedback into account and I can see that reflected in our exams, lectures and labs. I've always been a self-learner and never gained anything from lectures, but some of our professors are incredibly engaging and I've learned so much from them during class. 

I'm sorry to hear that you regret your decision coming here, Current Student. I'm sorry that your class had to struggle as they fixed the EORs. It must have been terrifyingly stressful and my class is so lucky that they've been fixed before we start our rotations. I'm thankful for the advice and mentoring that members of your class have provided to ours. I hope all of you pass the PANCE with flying colors and find jobs that you love. 

I hope things get better for you, Current Student, and that you and the rest of your class take care. 

• Upvote 1

Current student- your emotional statements lacking facts show your level of immaturity.  Please explain how out of 50 +plus students in the class only 1-2% have not made the cut. Most the class is doing well, which reflects more on those individuals than the program itself.

I don’t understand - if you dislike this program so much why are you still enrolled? It is probably associated with your level of cowardice displayed by writing this anonymously on the internet instead of addressing it face to face with the director of the program or the president of the university, which we recently had the opportunity to do.

The only practical course of action seems to be for you to drop out and follow the nursing suggestion you made. It seems to me that the only mistakes occurring at Jax PA is accepting people with such poor character and lack of professionalism like yourself.

Sincerely, class 2018 student

• Upvote 1

Allow me to introduce myself as another Class of 2018 student.

I will admit that the program is not perfect, but the current administration is working tirelessly to repair the damage that has been done.

Part of the damage was unquestionably related to the former program director's blatant inability to take criticism and accept that maybe his way was not always the best way. We are blessed to have a new director who has OUR best interests at heart rather than her own ego.

But the current PANCE pass rate has much less to do with the former leadership and much more to do with the cheating scandal that has rocked the program to its core. It's sad that most current students had absolutely ZERO knowledge, access, and/or willingness to procure the "test banks" that were allegedly free-for-alls to those who sought them out. Several members of the latest graduating class paid the ultimate price for taking the "easy" way out, and we're all paying for it now.

Because of this, the Class of 2018 is held to higher standards than any class that came before us, and in fact any other of the Nova PA programs. Believe me, we have all cried "foul" at one point or another, because it sometimes doesn't seem fair. Sometimes it feels like we're paying for the crimes of our predecessors. We are stressed to the max. We are held to expectations that are so high, I often wonder if my body and soul will be able to survive it. Most of us have come so close to failing an entire course over one OSCE, that OSCEs have become less of a learning experience and more of a test of our survival skills and ability to avoid complete emotional collapse.

But you know what? As much as it sucks (and don't let anyone tell you any differently-- no matter where you choose to go, as long as you are pulling your own weight, it WILL suck), we are on the path to being exceptional clinicians who can handle any and everything that is thrown our way.

The most current PANCE scores are incredibly embarrassing for our campus, but I can assure you all that if you come here with the will to learn, with the will to work, with the will to not take the easy way out, you will succeed.

One other thing... what a low blow for CurrentStudent to call us "children" and to accuse our class of "causing this mess" because one person found a previous class's cheat sheets and decided to do the right thing. That's what you're mad about? Because someone in our class has integrity? That person does not represent our entire class, but you know what? He or she did the right thing. And if that pisses you off, then I already know everything I need to know about you.

Class of 2018, we got this. Class of 2019, we got you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, pa-wannabe said:

I don't know about the show, but I'm here for the grammar. "Udder," "Ludacris," and "mute point."

Carry on.

But that is how today's young'uns talk. Dis, dat, like, whuteva. LOL, I am sure there is some truth to it. I don't think many students think about remediations until they need it. Sometimes crap happens. A friend of mine is a 4th year this Fall and is stressed like heck. His clinicals profs are riding him. He is having trouble finding patients. And his wife just gave birth to another child. Neither of them work and they cannot get any loans. If he fails a class or 2, I would not blame him. So, remediations are important to people who have life changing events.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, CurrentStudent said:

Embarrassed this will be my alma mater. Will not ever give back to such a mess of a program. Graduation can't come soon enough. 

It's clear the children in the class of 2018 disagree - all 3 or 2 or 1 of them, whomever is responding. And thank you all for perpetuating *rumors* and dogging students who have already lost their opportunities to become HCP's - sure you'll make compassionate PA's yourself. 

Again people, this is a WARNING!

A bit of advice.

You're saying you are about to graduate....congrats. You will enter the workplace and you will really start learning the mechanics of medicine.  The goal of any program to give you the foundation to start working in whatever field you choose. If you adequately studied and took the initiative to learn the material...understand the material...you will have that foundation. If you studied to simply take and pass a test, you won't.  A wise man once said "PA school is the most expensive self study program you will ever undertake", that rang very true when I was in school. I compared experiences with a friend of mine in another program...he pretty much mimicked those sentiments. You are responsible knowing what you need to know.  Hopefully you do...for you and your patients.  

Another point.  You are about to graduate and enter the workplace and you are screaming on a very public forum that you are not worth hiring..?? The local hospitals snatch up the grads from Nova every Fall. Overall, most of the groups that hire folks from NSU Jax are happy with them. There are variances in personal motivation, but the base line education usually isn't an issue....from most of the folks I have interacted with anyhow (anecdotal, I know).  Intelligence isn't just knowing facts, it's also knowing how to keep your emotions in check. You're figuratively  punching yourself in the face...not smart.   Another thing a wise man once said to me, "don't shit where you eat".

Focus on the PANCE and keep learning. Apparently things are changing for the better after the issues with your class.  Wish them well and move on. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently interviewed at Nova Jacksonville and wanted to share my experience for anyone looking to attend. I was a bit concerned by this thread as well as the lower than average PANCE pass rate but decided to take the interview and am glad I did. 

I pressured both the students and faculty about the issue during my interview. The students were as a whole unaware of any systemic problem.

The faculty responded in a professional and what I deemed satisfactory way. They stated they are continually looking into ways to improve the pass rate but have not identified any systemic problem. They pointed to a few students who had extenuating life events occur just prior to testing that may have affected their score. They also mentioned that between teaching students to be good test takers versus being good clinicians, they would choose the latter.

Personally and in my humble opinion, I think I may have identified the culprit. When comparing Nova Jax to Orlando (that has a 100% PANCE pass rate several years running) the staff and students had different personalities. Orlando felt very competitive and the faculty mirrored that, the interview was very fast, dry, and impersonal. The students also felt a little "wound up." Jacksonville on the other hand felt much more relaxed, both the students and faculty; and the interview felt more like a discussion rather than an interrogation. The selection in students as well as faculty demeanor could have an effect on test scores.

One example to illustrate my point. In Orlando the faculty were all wearing business attire, and the students were vigorously hand shaking, introducing, etc. In Jacksonville, the faculty were wearing lab coats and the students were more "friendly" and "personable." What style you prefer is up to you. 

The bottom line I am finding out after my first year of interviews, is that everyone interviewing is qualified, and would likely do well in the program. What it comes down to is how well you click with the interviewers, and their personalities will undoubtedly affect the personality of the incoming class.

• Upvote 1

For those recently interviewing, I can tell you that the most recent graduating class has had very good pass rates so far. Not all have taken it but as of a few weeks ago they had 30/30 who had passed. As for people helping with interviews not wearing lab coats it is because the Jacksonville program is no longer providing white coats until right before clinical year. The class of 2019 is the first class that they are doing this with and it's so we appreciate what receiving our white coats actually means. It's a symbol of our hard work. Our class is competitive, but not to the point that we are not personable with each other or are out to get each other. The people in your class are your peers and they will be your future colleagues. The same is true for those interviewing. Yes, we could be stern and cold with you, and if that's what you want, please choose Orlando. Personally, I like the nicer attitude, because PA school doesn't need to be anymore stressful that it already is. Our program remains challenging academically, but as you'll find out, PA school is tough and having a good support system with your classmates is imperative to both your academic performance and your mental health. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure where you're getting all that from. I'm halfway through didactic here and, sure, there are a few things I think could be done better, but they're minor. Besides, talk to any PA student who ever existed and they'd have minor gripes about their school, too.

I don't think your school really matters anyway. First year really is all on you. I think the biggest difference between most schools are the backgrounds on the PowerPoint slides as far as year one is concerned.

This is a decent program. Like I said before, PM me if you have any questions or concerns for a real student to help with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to interview at Nova-Jax recently, and I sincerely got the impression that despite whatever may have happened in the past, they are certainly well put together now. I was pretty impressed with the professionalism of the faculty and the seemingly good morale of the students we got to talk to. They seem like they genuinely have continuous improvement as a priority. It was a great experience all around.

Granted, this is all just an impression built on a few hours of experience but I’m confident that impression would hold over 27 months.

• Upvote 1

From speaking to some of the recent graduates, the class of 2017 has been doing pretty stellar in passing the PANCE. Last I heard, it's about a ~98% pass rate so far. 

I posted earlier in this thread, but I'm currently in rotations and I don't regret coming here at all. The staff/faculty are rooting for us and want us to succeed. And from what I've heard, the changes to the program thus far have been positive and beneficial for students. 

• 1 year later...

Class of 2018: 100% first time PANCE pass rate! If you need any more convincing that things have indeed changed for the better, look it up yourself. Attrition = 2/60. One left due to family circumstances, and one failed out of the program. Most of us were hired within just a couple months of graduation, several before graduation even took place.

So, OP, tell me again how this program is a waste of time and money. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, clearly I'm not posting anonymously - and this is several years after the OP's post. The NSU Jax program is by no means perfect, but it is VERY GOOD. The accreditation issues are being taken very seriously by the program and we expect/hope for full accreditation again this summer. I am a current student and the curriculum/didactic year is quite challenging. If you try to cheat your way through it, you won't do well (as with all things in life). 

For anyone reading this and getting cold feet about going to NSU Jax, perk up. It's a great program and you will learn a lot.