I am about to enter PA school as an F1 international student - been on a visa since I was in middle school as a dependent of my parents and recently became F1 because I turned 21. Any one out here able to give me insight in how they paid for it all? There doesn't seem to be much mercy for international students despite me residing in NY for almost a decade. I have citizen extended family, but they have their own lives and loans to care for and I feel like taking out a private loan with them cosigning will not be approved since they have mortgages and are about to take out a loan for their daughter's schooling.

- Keith

Hi Keith,

You may want to try posting this into another board because this section is for PAs outside of the USA. Hopefully you'll get more responses that way. 

• Upvote 2

Hello Keith,

If you have already been accepted in PA school, the army may pay for you in exchange for serving. I hope this helps.

Karl.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2017 at 8:57 AM, kmai said:

I am about to enter PA school as an F1 international student - been on a visa since I was in middle school as a dependent of my parents and recently became F1 because I turned 21. Any one out here able to give me insight in how they paid for it all? There doesn't seem to be much mercy for international students despite me residing in NY for almost a decade. I have citizen extended family, but they have their own lives and loans to care for and I feel like taking out a private loan with them cosigning will not be approved since they have mortgages and are about to take out a loan for their daughter's schooling.

- Keith

Hi Keith,

I am also an international student on F1 visa and I am looking to apply for the PA school after graduation. However, I am worried about being able to afford the tuition, so I was wondering if you could share some of your experiences with me? It would help me a lot. Thank you!

Best,

Nejra

I am currently enrolled in a PA program (2nd year student) on a F1 visa. I found this post to be helpful to help with finances: 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By skram
      Hello everyone! So, I am very thankful to have gotten into both SBU & Desales, but I am struggling to decide between them... Stony Brook is in-state for me and 15 mins away from home, so the tuition is significantly cheaper than DeSales’ ($53,000 as opposed to DeSales’ $79,000), and I wouldn't need to pay rent.

I am struggling because even though SBU would be much cheaper overall, and has an excellent reputation and ranking, I just did not feel like I connected with the faculty there, and I wasn’t very excited after the interview. Even though the programs are both 24 months, SBU seemed more rigorous and fast-paced. The students at SBU also seemed a bit older, which makes me feel like I'd be the inexperienced one of the bunch. Another concern is that I don't really want to live at home. Living with my family would save me money, but it may also drive me crazy with the added stress of PA school ? I would most likely want to live on LI no matter what school I go to though, and so going to SBU may make it easier to get a job in the area once I graduate. SBU also ends in May, which I've heard is better for new PA grads in terms of job hunting.
      On the other hand, DeSales is a bit more expensive, but definitely not as expensive as some programs out there. It has clinical experiences during the didactic year, such as a student-run free clinic and shadowing that I would not have at SBU.  I also really connected with the faculty there and could picture myself going there and being happy. DeSales also had a brand-new, huge simulation lab that the PA students get to use a lot. DeSales is also one of the only programs in that area, you get more one-on-one time during clinical rotations, whereas w/ SBU, you’re with other LI PA students and med students.

Some stats:

PANCE 5-yr pass rates: SBU-97%, DeSales-100%

Class size: SBU-44, DeSales-80

Campus: SBU-within a hospital & affiliated w/ med school, DeSales- w/in an undergrad campus

Both have full cadaver dissection labs

Electives: both have 1 elective

Start date: SBU- June, DeSales- August
      PBL classes: SBU- have only about 4 of these activities throughout didactic year, DeSales- small group class discussion twice every week throughout all of didactic

Overall, the main things that would drive me to go to SBU are the low cost and the ranking. Otherwise, I like DeSales more. Some insight on this dilemma would be much appreciated!!

• By gmr44
      Can someone explain why Stanfords tuition is 160k for the program? Am I reading this wrong? What makes this program so much better?
    • By rfinch
      Hey everyone,
      I'm in the process of starting my essays for this year's NHSC scholarship and was wondering if anyone had advice on how they approached the essays. My specific questions are highlighted below.
      1) How specific were you in outlining your future career plans for the essay on the NHSC mission? Did you list HPSA sites and/or non-profit organizations you were interested in affiliating with? 
      2) How did you approach the essay regarding your commitment to working in primary care? Did you take a narrative approach regarding life events or circumstances that led you to pursue a career in primary care, a philosophical approach rationalizing the importance of primary care, a combination of the two, or something altogether different?
      Thanks in advance for any help!
    • By GratefulPA29
      Recent applicant accepted to multiple NC schools. Wondering if it is worthwhile to attend some of the private, high-ranked schools or if it makes more sense to favor in-state tuition, especially with sights set on primary care? 
      Schools I applied to: Duke, Wake, Campbell, UNC, ECU
      Would appreciate insight into any of the above programs, and whether the private schools really do give you a leg up!
      Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More