Surgery Rotation

I am rotating at a hospital that has PA residents, PA staff, and medical students. I would think the PAs would be more willing to help the PA students just getting onto rotations but it seems like I have to run after my preceptors because they just log off their computer and walk away without mentioning anything. It seems like I can't do anything on my own including a simple dressing change without them being there. Seeing patients on my own is like pulling teeth and it takes them 4 days to even review my notes. I sit for the majority of the days watching them fill out paperwork to discharge people and I even offered to help once and was told no. 

I have no idea what to do or what I am able to do so it seems like I don't care or I am lazy when I really am not. It's really frustrating. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Welcome to surgery in academia. You'll see lots and do nothing. Just learn as much as you can. Sorry I don't have any tips other than keep asking, but try to stop before the point of being obnoxious. My surgery rotation was very similar, though it wasn't as bad as yours sounds. Let it be a lesson to future students that smaller hospitals often offer better rotations, especially when it comes to surgery.

Archived