PACKRAT vs. PANCE

I just took the PANRE, not the PANCE but from what I've heard they're basically the same. I did multiple PACKRATs that I found online and I found the PANRE questions really similar to the PACKRATs. I did a little worse on the PANRE than the PACKRATs, but I think this was just due to the anxiety and stress. I still passed by a decent margin. 

PANRE is not the same as PANCE though there is likely overlap, particularly if taking the PANRE with primary care focus rather than adult medicine or surgery focus.

Old PackRats are retired exams, the validity of questions could be in doubt.

PackRats taken during training provide insight into future performance dependent upon when in training they are taken.

If the PackRat is taken late in clinical training, it is a better indicator of PANCE performance rather than one taken early in clinical training.

A score of 135 on PackRat is a 60% score, OK coming out of didactic year, not OK late in clinical phase.

Safer score is mid 150s to 160, indicates a 70% score or higher.

Also pay attention to performance within organ systems and task areas that contribute large percentages to the exam. 

Scoring 90% in Cardiovascular contributes more to your score than 90% in Heme.

Good luck.

George

• 4 weeks later...

I just took the PANCE last week. I thought it was similar to the PACKRAT but it was slightly harder. I studied a lot harder for the PANCE obviously and scores higher on the PANCE than the PACKRAT. I did RoshReview, CME4Life, and a couple old PACKRATs and passed by a decent margin

• 8 months later...
On 5/23/2017 at 1:00 PM, cg02186 said:

I just took the PANCE last week. I thought it was similar to the PACKRAT but it was slightly harder. I studied a lot harder for the PANCE obviously and scores higher on the PANCE than the PACKRAT. I did RoshReview, CME4Life, and a couple old PACKRATs and passed by a decent margin

Hi. How far in advance did you officially start studying for the PANCE (not including studying for EOR), and how soon after graduation did you take the PANCE? I'm trying to gauge as to when I should schedule my PANCE. Thanks in advance!

Study Materials:

-ExamMaster

-PANCE Prep Pearls by Dwayne Williams

-P.P.P. Question Bank by Dwayne Williams

-Comprehensive Review PANCE/PANRE (the green and white book...I didnt use it much, great book, I just like the tables and diagrams in William's book better. The test questions in it were great though!)

-LANGE PANCE app. 

-PACKRAT x 2 provided by PA program after didactic and again after clinical year. (I used them to guide my focus on areas of the blueprint I was weak on)

Time between grad and PANCE: ~1wk, first available test date

I passed.

There are MANY ways that people approach studying for the PANCE...choose the best for you and don't freak out. The worst thing you could do other than not study, is to show up with high anxiety and no confidence. The PANCE is to evaluate your broad knowledge that you should have gained while in your program. Don't ride on the coattails of your didactic year performance, keep studying, but don't freak out. Good luck, you'll probably do just fine if youve made it to graduation and don't slack off on studying.

Hello, I just took my PANCE February 2nd , and now officially passed so I'm a PA-C. 

I also took PAKRAT while in the program. The style of questions are similar, the way they word and the dynamic of the questions carry on to PANCE, however the PANCE was harder ( slightly) . By this I mean it was more broad and obviously the length of exam plays a factor. However if you did well on PAKRAT then that's a good indicator for PANCE.  Continue to use the study material you have been and keep practicing questions. 

I have a blog that talks about my journey feel free to follow : melissa-gutierrez.simplesite.com 

Archived