Online Genetics Class?

I need to take a genetics class ASAP. The school I got into did not accept the one I already took. So I need to look to finish one at my own pace online. I looked into UC Berkeley extension, but there is a minimum 3 months to complete.

Any suggestions?

I didn't expect to go to this school so I didn't take the class elsewhere as there is no local school I could have taken it at and it was going to cost me a pretty penny online at Berkeley and I didn't want to spend money on a possibility. Stupid, I know.

I'll be taking genetics bio 110 at West la community College this summer starts on June 12th ends July 23rd. Biology 6 in the La district also qualifies for Western 's genetics requirement which is the first part of general biology 1. Congrats on being one of the 97 accepted at Western!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I am trying to avoid being in class because I am pretty busy during the week, I want a class I can do online whenever. I will keep that in mind though. I emailed the counselor because University of Phoenix has a five week course that I think is online. If not, I might show up at West LA and beg the professor to be let in! Lol. Otherwise University of New England has online course, but I have heard bad things about it and it has a lab. Sigh.

You applying this upcoming cycle?

I'm finishing the UNE course soon, and I've honestly hated it. There's so much busy work. I thought I was gonna be able to finish it fast because it was self paced and online, but they give you so many things you have to submit with nit-picky grading at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Need official transcript by July 1st. I decided against UNE because of the lab component. It seemed like busy work as you stated. I enrolled in U of Phoenix for a ridiculous price, but it is 5 weeks online and done. I would have done Berkeley extension, but that requires minimum of 90 days.

Need official transcript by July 1st. I decided against UNE because of the lab component. It seemed like busy work as you stated. I enrolled in U of Phoenix for a ridiculous price, but it is 5 weeks online and done. I would have done Berkeley extension, but that requires minimum of 90 days.

Damn. I was hoping you'd say you could complete it over the full summer term. I was about to hand you an A on a platter. I hope you end up finding an accelerated course though. I wish you the best of luck!

I'll be taking genetics bio 110 at West la community College this summer starts on June 12th ends July 23rd. Biology 6 in the La district also qualifies for Western 's genetics requirement which is the first part of general biology 1. Congrats on being one of the 97 accepted at Western!

I'm in that class right now!!

I wish I knew that bio 6 is considered as genetics though. That class killed me.

Yea...just got excited and had to share ٩( ᐛ )و

How can there be so much variation between course lengths? Do some make you follow a scheduled discussion board?

I've never taken an accelerated course through Phoenix Online or anything like that, mostly because I distrust it being accepted/well received by adcoms. However, some schools are on a semester system while other schools are on a quarter system. I'm taking four courses on campus at one school that's on a semester system now that runs January through the beginning of May. Whereas I'm taking one online genetics course through another school that is on a quarter system that runs from mid-March until the end of May. Then during summers you've normally got schools offering mini-term courses that are accelerated over 5 weeks. I'd never take one of those mini-term courses for a science prereq ever again though unless you want to put your GPA at risk.

Then within those two systems whether it's semester or quarter, you're going to find some courses that allow you to work at your own pace and that's just how the course is designed. Meaning you could technically bust your tail and finish it in the first two weeks or so depending on the amount of material, study time needed, etc (unlikely unless that's the only class you're taking though). I've never taken a 5 or 6 week course though. I'd imagine that'd suck and I'd risk doing worse. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2017 at 12:37 AM, LPZ said:

LPZ, I know this may be a shot in the dark bc you posted this in 2017, I wanted to ask how was the genetics course was at U of Phoenix? I am in need of a genetics course and need/want it to be online also. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

ClarissaB,

The genetics course was a breeze. Most of the information was redundant if you have taken a genetics course or have a science degree. The coursework was manageable. You read, participate in discussions and write. It is very overpriced, but easy A. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 9:10 AM, ClarissaB said:

LPZ, I know this may be a shot in the dark bc you posted this in 2017, I wanted to ask how was the genetics course was at U of Phoenix? I am in need of a genetics course and need/want it to be online also. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Clarissa, I am in the same position and will probably end up taking the class at u of Phoenix very soon. It is soooo over priced but I think it will be worth the hassle. Please let me know if you’re going to take it and we could possibly do it together!

4 minutes ago, haleydawn4 said:

Clarissa, I am in the same position and will probably end up taking the class at u of Phoenix very soon. It is soooo over priced but I think it will be worth the hassle. Please let me know if you’re going to take it and we could possibly do it together!

Haley, I actually found an online class at a local university so I do not have to pay out of state tuition and UOPhoenix's outrageous rates. What state are you in?

10 minutes ago, hifromtiff said:

Has anyone taken genetics through SUNY Empire State College? I'm considering doing that this summer but am skeptical for all the reasons people are of UOPhoenix.

I have not but I am signed up for Genetics at Western Carolina online for distance learning. It’s pretty cheap but check out the tuition rates for yourself if you’re out of state....it may not be different since it’s online anyway. 

3 hours ago, mooredc said:

The University of South Carolina Upstate offers genetics online in maymester. It is 4 weeks all online. It requires daily submissions but nothing crazy. I got an A without too much stress involved. 

Wow thank you!! I’ll have to check it out. I’d be paying out of state tuition so hopefully it’s cheaper than U of Phoenix. Which I’m sure it probably is cause that place is expensive!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, ClarissaB said:

I have not but I am signed up for Genetics at Western Carolina online for distance learning. It’s pretty cheap but check out the tuition rates for yourself if you’re out of state....it may not be different since it’s online anyway. 

Is it self paced? Iv been looking on their website and there are so many options im very confused

On 3/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, ClarissaB said:

Have you started the online Genetics course at Western Carolina? I am thinking about registering for it, but I am looking for some feedback about its difficulty. If you haven't started it yet have you heard any reviews?