Hello, I am an orthopedic surgery PA with > 10 years experience, and am looking to learn about RVU -based reimbursement, for a potential job change.  The RVUs would be awarded based upon billing, not collections, as it is an underserved area with poor payer mix.  It would be clinic-based; no surgical assisting or hospital work.  My questions:

1. Does anyone know what the typical $ per RVU value would be, for an orthopedic PA?

2. Does anyone have access to a list of RVU per CPT code for typical orthopedic office procedures?  (injections, fracture care, splinting, etc).  I was able to find 0.97 for 99213, which is a common office visit code ...I'm more curious about the procedures

3. Is this a workable plan for orthopedics?  Is it possible to thrive financially within an RVU -based system?  I am aware that it would be important to avoid seeing a lot of postop patients within their global billing period, as those visits award 0 RVUs.  Correct?

Any insight you can provide, would be appreciated!

Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PAinIL
      I am a PA with 25 years of experience and currently my medical group is switching our compensation to an RVU based system. Can anyone in outpatient primary care share with me their dollar amount per RVU so I can negotiate properly? I’ve been reading about the tiered RVU system and I like the numbers but need to know where to start the conversation. Thanks for your help!
    • By CPPAC
      I'm a PA who's been working in Oklahoma doing general surgery and urology at the same hospital since I graduated in May 2018. I have two concerns:
      1) I finished a 1-year contract and resigned for a 3-year contract which bases my annual bonus off of RVUs (very low 1520). I recently finished the first year of this contract and I've been told the hospital doesn't know how many RVUs I've accumulated because they don't know how to calculate my RVUs from surgery. Apparently, they have always had this issue with RVU calculations for PAs (there is only one other PA working in ortho at this hospital) and they've been "working to figure it out" , but I've been asking for my productivity for about two years and have yet to get ANYTHING useful. In fact, I have been stood-up twice by the clinic manager for scheduled meetings to discuss productivity.
      2) As I mentioned, recently finished off the first year of that contract. I requested an annual review and the clinic manager completely ignored that portion of my email. Seems completely unprofessional to not perform reviews. Convinced my first job at a bowling alley was more professional than this.

Wondering if this kind of thing is normal or just a lazy clinic manager...and maybe any legal advice regarding them giving me a contract with a metric that they have admitted they don't know how to measure. Thanks in advance.
    • By BJessee
      I am looking for some insight from any PA practicing in outpatient psychiatry, especially is TN or VA
      I heard from a colleague that there has been some issue with reimbursement in the outpatient psychiatry realm that is specific to PA services
      I wondered if anyone currently practicing in this specialty or anyone with knowledge about the situation could weigh in. 

Are PAs reimbursed at the normal rate or at a decreased rate?
      Are there discrepancies between reimbursement for medicare/Medicaid and commercial insurers?
      Thank you all in advance!
    • By soccerfanatic14
      Hello,
      I'm a new grad PA (started the program right out of high school) who just received a job offer for a hospitalist position with the details here:
      40 hour week. Five 8 hr shifts a week. Overnight from Sun- Thurs 11pm-7am.   $85,000 base pay $15,000 for overnight annual bonus. Would be taken away if I switched to days.   4 weeks PTO 1 sick week 1 week CME and $1500 Paid DEA liscense.  

I'm curious if I should ask for more base pay.  Any opinions?  Thanks! 
    • By Kslight66
      Hello,

I am looking for advice on salary for a Pa-C position in charge on a 16 bed Detox wing. I would be responsible for supervising a nurse and a CNA. Also, I would have to work some weekend, nights and some holidays.
      1. What would be a good salary range for this dual medical / management role? 

2. The job only provides 16 days of ( lumping it all together) PTO, sick and national holiday and CME days off.  Should I ask for a higher compensation for this limited vacation package? 

thank you in advance! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More