Western Michigan University: 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started my CASPA and filled out my graduate application for Western. Won't submit for a few weeks so I can write my essay I am procrastinating on and look over everything. May I ask what your stats were when you first applied and were rejected and how you've improved for this year? This is my first and hopefully last time applying!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year my overall was a 3.1, science 3.2, prereq 3.8. 4,000 PCE, 100 volunteer hours, 60 shadowing hours, various leadership/ volunteer roles. 

These are my stats for this current cycle: 

Graduation Date: April 2014

University: Oakland University (Rochester, MI)

Major: Bachelors of Health Sciences with concentration in Integrative Holistic Medicine

Pre-Req GPA: 3.67

Advanced Anatomy- 3.7

Advanced Physiology- 4.0

Clinical Microbiology- 3.9

Clinical Microbiology Lab- 4.0

Medical Biochemistry- 3.5

Develomental Psychology- 3.5

Statistics- 3.0

Overall CASPA GPA: 3.29

Last 60 Credits/ Post- Bach GPA: 3.73

Patient Contact Hours: 5,300 (paid, Certified Nursing Assistant)

Healthcare Experience: Dental Office Manager, Care Management Administration, Patient Sitter

Shadowing Hours: ~100 (Trauma, Surgical Service, Rapid Response, Neurology, GI, and Derm) 

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from Neurology PA (I work with her on my hospital unit), 1 from a Derm/GI PA (I volunteered at her clinic), 1 from my unit manager, and 1 from a professor (professor for my biochem/pathology courses, conducts breast cancer research at OU). 

Extra Curricular:

Pre-PA Society, President/ Vice President (Oakland University)

Global Medical Brigades, Nicaragua

Metro- Detroit Medical and Public Heath Brigades, President

Keep Detroit Beautiful, Brand Ambassador (Detroit, MI) 

Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Executive Board Member, Volunteer Coordinator

Gamma Phi Beta, Recruitment/ Chapter Advisor (Beta Chapter- University of Michigan) 

American Red Cross, Volunteer/ Blood Drive Coordinator. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you sound like a very good candidate this cycle! I unfortunately don't have as much extracurriculars and healthcare experience as you :( I was able to get 1800 hours as a CNA, and my GPA is a 3.9 and 4.0 for pre reqs as a Human biology major, so I'm hope that will get me an interview.

Since you applied last cycle we're you invited to an interview? If so, would you be willing to share your experience?

Submitted my app a few days ago!

I actually was not invited for an interview.[emoji17] I think my overall GPA is what did ruined it for me.

The only recommendation admissions had for me when I asked for feedback was to boost my GPA a bit and possibly consider a different position for PCE.

I boosted my gpa, but stuck with my position because I work on a progressive/ step down unit. I see different cases everyday; all cases are at high acuity levels. I learn something new everyday I come to work. I also work in Care Management Administration now. So I have more background on the insurance end of medicine too. I figured that would help more.

I truly believe you will be fine because your GPA is so high. I'm extremely jealous of that. I would try to add more volunteering if you could and continue to get your patient care hours!

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2017 at 1:30 PM, PAc2020 said:

Congratulations! Had you heard anything from them prior to the invite? When did you submit? 

Thanks! :) I received a confirmation email when they received the supplemental. Other than the complete app confirmation, this was the first message I've received from the program. I submitted on 5/29. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, JaneSmith said:

Did anyone from the 9/29 interview group hear back yet?

Not yet, they said 10-14 days. Not sure if they meant to hear if you got early acceptance only, since if you didn’t make it that cut you can be put on hold and compared against next interviews to receive your acceptance later.

Archived