2017-2018 Yale University - PA Online Application Thread

3 minutes ago, nsam4 said:

Is anyone else's application "lost" within their system? I submitted it about a week ago and I haven't received a confirmation email. I have been talking with Sanjay and he says that the IT department is aware of my missing application and is trying to find it... anyone else having this issue??

When I submitted mine, I received an "application submitted alert" email that seemed automatic, I hope they find it for you!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, S6891 said:

How do you like the program so far? I completed my PhD online, and believe me, it was a bear at times-there was nothing "easy" about my program just because it was online. For me, personally, it was easier to completely immerse myself in the material-you basically live with it! We also had in-person sessions required several times throughout the program. I believe if a person is self motivated and self-disciplined, it is a great way to learn. You just really have to WANT to learn, not just get through sitting in a class. Just my personal perspective...

Your PhD seems to be very similar to this program. It's hard and lots of material. I have friends who say they could never study at home, they'd be tempted to sleep or do other things so you're right that it's tailored to the very disciplined, dedicated and motivated. I prefer learning this way because I can pause lectures if I miss something, don't have to frantically race with the professor to take notes, can pause to go to the bathroom, get a snack, etc, can watch from my couch or a coffee shop... you get the point! Plus I save a ton of time by not having to get dressed every morning, gather all my study materials everyday, go to campus, sit in class etc etc. So in short, I love it! 

1 hour ago, S6891 said:

Can any current students or new/past applicants talk about their GRE scores? My qualitative was not great, but both verbal and analytic were above 60th percentile. I really don't want that one score to ruin my chances. I have 27 years of PCE in mental health, a Masters and a Doctorate. All of my pre-reqs were taken within the last 3 years- all A's and 2 B's. This program is a perfect fit for me, and I was so excited when I got an email that my state made the list!!! My anxiety/excitement is high, and I would love to hear the experience that other applicants and current students are having. 

My scores were OK.  Not stellar.  69% verbal, 66% math, 60% writing.

20 minutes ago, prepa1212 said:

Hi everyone! Anyone with a gpa on the lower end get accepted?? 

I obviously can’t speak for this program specifically, but I think you have to take them at their word. They show a minimum GPA and encourage everyone to apply. You can email to ask. I’ve done that and have gotten honest responses in my opinion. 

On 4/19/2018 at 8:04 AM, KhaliaB said:

I submitted yesterday. I'm a veteran/ career changer. Finishing up a post-bac year. I will be 'complete' before the priority deadline.

Hey there, I am a vet as well. I submitted for the early decision. What branch did you serve in and where were you stationed?   

3 hours ago, JTET21 said:

Hey there, I am a vet as well. I submitted for the early decision. What branch did you serve in and where were you stationed?   

I went into the Navy from the Academy. I was stationed at Oceana and got out summer of last year. I really wanted to submit for the early deadline, but I won't have all the Pre-req's (5 of 6) complete until the end of summer term (29 June). As such, I put off the GRE until 2 June since the timing of the test won't affect my completion date. How did you find the GRE? I took my first full length practice and scored above the average scores CASPA reported last year. I really want to blow it out of the water, but summer school will be killer to complete all the req's.

13 hours ago, KhaliaB said:

I went into the Navy from the Academy. I was stationed at Oceana and got out summer of last year. I really wanted to submit for the early deadline, but I won't have all the Pre-req's (5 of 6) complete until the end of summer term (29 June). As such, I put off the GRE until 2 June since the timing of the test won't affect my completion date. How did you find the GRE? I took my first full length practice and scored above the average scores CASPA reported last year. I really want to blow it out of the water, but summer school will be killer to complete all the req's.

Navy here too. It sounds like you have a good start going from how your practice went. For me, I did worlds better on all of my quant section practice tests than I did on the actual test may have been over studying for me or nerves. I did extremely well on the verbal section however so I decided to just live with the low quant score since I have a solid A in algebra and statistics. I feel like the GRE is important to see how well you can take a standardized test but not really a great measuring tool for success as a PA. So as long as you have a decent amount of patient contact hours, stealer recommendations, and a solid personal statement I think they will carry more weight. Also, you can be working on one of your pre-req's all the way up to December in case you didn't want to cram everything into the summer and you can still apply by priority. 

5 minutes ago, JTET21 said:

Navy here too. It sounds like you have a good start going from how your practice went. For me, I did worlds better on all of my quant section practice tests than I did on the actual test may have been over studying for me or nerves. I did extremely well on the verbal section however so I decided to just live with the low quant score since I have a solid A in algebra and statistics. I feel like the GRE is important to see how well you can take a standardized test but not really a great measuring tool for success as a PA. So as long as you have a decent amount of patient contact hours, stealer recommendations, and a solid personal statement I think they will carry more weight. Also, you can be working on one of your pre-req's all the way up to December in case you didn't want to cram everything into the summer and you can still apply by priority. 

Good luck to you. I'm glad I found this forum to connect w/ other Pre-PA's. But, its hard to not compare when others talk about stats or successes. I have to remember to stay in my lane and remember what I bring to the table. 

On 4/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, JTET21 said:

My GRE quantitative is not great either,,,and like you, I did extremely well on the verbal/writing parts. I am hoping that will not put me out. I have over 30K patient contact hours, all of my pre-reqs recently completed with all A's and B's. I just hope I can get an interview!

On 4/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, S6891 said:

My GRE quantitative is not great either,,,and like you, I did extremely well on the verbal/writing parts. I am hoping that will not put me out. I have over 30K patient contact hours, all of my pre-reqs recently completed with all A's and B's. I just hope I can get an interview!

Have you heard anything yet about when you might be getting an interview? Do you think they are waiting until May 15th before they interview anyone?

8 hours ago, JTET21 said:

Have you heard anything yet about when you might be getting an interview? Do you think they are waiting until May 15th before they interview anyone?

Last week I got an email stating that my application was with the review committee. Kevin told me that after it is complete, you should hear something within the next 4 weeks. I have been obsessivly checking my email! Did you get that email as well?

19 hours ago, S6891 said:

Last week I got an email stating that my application was with the review committee. Kevin told me that after it is complete, you should hear something within the next 4 weeks. I have been obsessivly checking my email! Did you get that email as well?

I am finishing up my semester on the 9th and sending them my transcripts so I am having to wait for that but I was told as long as they get them by the 15th then I will still be considered for the early deadline. Good luck! Be sure and let us know when you hear something!  

19 hours ago, S6891 said:

I am finishing up my semester on the 9th and sending them my transcripts so I am having to wait for that but I was told as long as they get them by the 15th then I will still be considered for the early deadline. Good luck! Be sure and let us know when you hear something!  

51 minutes ago, JTET21 said:

Good luck to you finishing up your pre-reqs! This waiting can make you feel crazy! Then possibly they  may not give out early decision interview invites until after the 15? That would make sense. I will definitely let you know when I hear something.

On 5/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, JTET21 said:

I just saw where someone just got an interview invitation-I asked him when his application was complete, so I guess they are scheduling interviews before the 15th! now I am getting nervous! lol

Archived