2017-2018 Yale University - PA Online Application Thread

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am applying next cycle and was wondering if anyone get accepted with a low GPA?

My stats aren't great (these are according to a CASPA GPA calculator):

cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 3.2 GRE: taking it next week PCE Hours: ~2500 Shadowing: ~150.

I have a BS and a MS in Kinesiology (I don't really know if that helps). 

Also, I am taking Micro, Chem II, and Genetics this semester and will only have OChem left to take in the summer. Another question I have is should I apply before I take OChem or after. I know applying early is always better but I don't know if it is better than having all your pre-reqs done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

8 hours ago, asharnaud said:

I am applying next cycle and was wondering if anyone get accepted with a low GPA?

My stats aren't great (these are according to a CASPA GPA calculator):

cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 3.2 GRE: taking it next week PCE Hours: ~2500 Shadowing: ~150.

I have a BS and a MS in Kinesiology (I don't really know if that helps). 

Also, I am taking Micro, Chem II, and Genetics this semester and will only have OChem left to take in the summer. Another question I have is should I apply before I take OChem or after. I know applying early is always better but I don't know if it is better than having all your pre-reqs done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

With one course, O-Chem left by summer, you're on the right track. Just update your transcript as you complete your courses this semester. Interview probably won't start until after summer and I believe your GRE scores would be available.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am applying for the priority deadline this cycle for the online program. Can anyone chance me?

cGPA: 3.94. Science GPA: 3.97. Prereq GPA: 3.96. PCE: 5000 Medications Technician. 

GRE: 27% Verbal , 78% Quant, 60% AWA (305)

Volunteer: ~250 hours in hospitals and outpatient clinics. Committed to 2 Medical service trips, one this April, another this May (Philippines and Vietnam). Plane ticket and trip already paid for. ~120 hours as Volunteer Coordinator of Pre-PT club prior to becoming pre-PA. 

Research: ~300 hours Senior thesis project. Presented at a conference and at a student scholars day. 

Shadowing: 8 MD Internal Med, 8 Hospitalist PA, 8 Internal Med PA, 4 Family Medicine PA, 4 Gastroenterology PA. I have shadowed CRNAs, NPs, PTs, and OTs, but the application says "Shadowing should be either a PA or Physician" so I probably won't include those. Should I?

Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

@rolmal1 seriously! Did you attend the info session webinar tonight. It left me with more questions than answers about the chem requirement. I am trying to find out for sure via email with Grace (my advisor person) and when I get an answer I will post it here. It *sounds* like they want O chem 1 & 2 (so full year)  *or* biochem. Unless you happen to find an O chem class that goes over everything in 1 semester. Psh! The trouble is, most biochem courses i've found seem to require O chem as a pre-req, so it feels like you practically need a degree in chemistry to apply! Their website describes the material they wish the chemistry  course to have covered,  so I guess compare the syllabus to that and check with an advisor to be sure. I am willing to do whatever it takes, but I am just not clear on what that is. Otherwise, I am super excited about the program. Hopefully I hear back soon. Thanks for reading my rant, haha! 

[mention=145885]rolmal1[/mention] seriously! Did you attend the info session webinar tonight. It left me with more questions than answers about the chem requirement. I am trying to find out for sure via email with Grace (my advisor person) and when I get an answer I will post it here. It *sounds* like they want O chem 1 & 2 (so full year)  *or* biochem. Unless you happen to find an O chem class that goes over everything in 1 semester. Psh! The trouble is, most biochem courses i've found seem to require O chem as a pre-req, so it feels like you practically need a degree in chemistry to apply! Their website describes the material they wish the chemistry  course to have covered,  so I guess compare the syllabus to that and check with an advisor to be sure. I am willing to do whatever it takes, but I am just not clear on what that is. Otherwise, I am super excited about the program. Hopefully I hear back soon. Thanks for reading my rant, haha! 

Thank you for letting us know what she says! I was wondering the same thing.

@mmh @rolmal1 I talked with Grace with admissions and she looked over my syllabus for a class I am hoping to take for the chem requirement. it is elementary bioorganic chemistry 1120 @ Salt Lake Community College, which only had a pre-req of either general chem 1 or elementary chem.  She approved it! The syllabus described the course material which matched very closely with what the program has listed on the site as the desired course material. SLCC offers the course online in summer and fall, fyi. Anyhow, I wish everyone else luck in satisfying this requirement.  

I have sent in my early application as well. I am really optimistic about this program, as someone with a family and no schools for several hours in any direction getting into this program would be ideal for my situation. I hope to see more programs adopt an online format in the future. 

On 4/9/2018 at 8:13 PM, JTET21 said:

I have sent in my early application as well. I am really optimistic about this program, as someone with a family and no schools for several hours in any direction getting into this program would be ideal for my situation. I hope to see more programs adopt an online format in the future. 

Good luck! I am excited as well. Do you have any idea when they will schedule interviews? This week is the deadline-I have everything turned in. 

On 4/11/2018 at 8:25 AM, S6891 said:

Good luck! I am excited as well. Do you have any idea when they will schedule interviews? This week is the deadline-I have everything turned in. 

Good luck to you as well! I am not sure when they will begin interviewing. I am still waiting for my final grades for this semester to come in by May 15th. They said to expect an answer by June 15. So for me, I will be hoping to get an interview sometime between May 15th and June 15th. 

On 2/17/2018 at 6:28 PM, tamme81 said:

I’m doing good...stressed out and stretched so thin!  The 9 classes (8 including the live pbl) is insane...but I’m learning so much.   Have you started your program?  How do you feel about it? 

Hey, I just submitted my application, but I have my reservations about an online PA program. Do you regret not going to a traditional, on campus school? How is the program so far?

On 4/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, S6891 said:

I am! I have sent everything in. How are t hings going for you?

Does anyone know where to find statistics on the first cohort? GRE scores, GPA, hours,  etc?

On 4/9/2018 at 8:13 PM, JTET21 said:

Can any current students or new/past applicants talk about their GRE scores? My qualitative was not great, but both verbal and analytic were above 60th percentile. I really don't want that one score to ruin my chances. I have 27 years of PCE in mental health, a Masters and a Doctorate. All of my pre-reqs were taken within the last 3 years- all A's and 2 B's. This program is a perfect fit for me, and I was so excited when I got an email that my state made the list!!! My anxiety/excitement is high, and I would love to hear the experience that other applicants and current students are having. 

9 minutes ago, S6891 said:

Can any current students or new/past applicants talk about their GRE scores? My qualitative was not great, but both verbal and analytic were above 60th percentile. I really don't want that one score to ruin my chances. I have 27 years of PCE in mental health, a Masters and a Doctorate. All of my pre-reqs were taken within the last 3 years- all A's and 2 B's. This program is a perfect fit for me, and I was so excited when I got an email that my state made the list!!! My anxiety/excitement is high, and I would love to hear the experience that other applicants and current students are having. 

Kevin Bolton in admissions is really helpful and answers most questions/gives advice. He helped me a lot during the application cycle - I emailed him almost everyday and he is happy to answer questions!! Plus it gives him a chance to get to know you/remember you. 

(my GRE scores were all above the 50th percentile)

1 minute ago, eliam22 said:

Kevin Bolton in admissions is really helpful and answers most questions/gives advice. He helped me a lot during the application cycle - I emailed him almost everyday and he is happy to answer questions!! Plus it gives him a chance to get to know you/remember you. 

(my GRE scores were all above the 50th percentile)

Yes, Kevin has been fantastic! I also email him almost daily. I talked with him about my score, but he still seemed to be positive about things. I actually have several classes/pre-reqs in statistics, 4 of them at a graduate level with A's and B's in all of them. I can do math. stats, etc, so I am hoping that will stand out. I am, just wondering how heavily that will be weighed. There are some schools that although they list "no minimum" on the GRE still will not interview you if you are not above that 50. As for the rest of my application, I feel great!

5 hours ago, S6891 said:

Does anyone know where to find statistics on the first cohort? GRE scores, GPA, hours,  etc?

They went out in August for last cycle and stats haven't been published yet

Just now, eliam22 said:

They went out in August for last cycle and stats haven't been published yet

How do you like the program so far? I completed my PhD online, and believe me, it was a bear at times-there was nothing "easy" about my program just because it was online. For me, personally, it was easier to completely immerse myself in the material-you basically live with it! We also had in-person sessions required several times throughout the program. I believe if a person is self motivated and self-disciplined, it is a great way to learn. You just really have to WANT to learn, not just get through sitting in a class. Just my personal perspective...

Is anyone else's application "lost" within their system? I submitted it about a week ago and I haven't received a confirmation email. I have been talking with Sanjay and he says that the IT department is aware of my missing application and is trying to find it... anyone else having this issue??

Archived