2017-2018 Yale University - PA Online Application Thread

On 9/15/2017 at 1:17 PM, Psyched89 said:

Just got an invite to interview on 10/12!

I am so excited. Any advice for the interview day?

I know how much I disliked it when people said, "Just be yourself."  I never found that helpful in suppressing my nerves.  After 5 interviews and acceptance to 2 programs, I'll say the same sort of thing but in a different way.  When I interviewed on campus, I found myself in a room with 20+ other candidates.  Each one of us was smart, a good student, and capable of doing the work necessary to successfully complete the program.  During the interview, focus on what makes you a better candidate than the person they will talk to next.  What makes you different?  Use stories where possible when answering questions.  Stand out and make sure they remember you.  Their website explains the mission of their program.  Think about how you will support that mission within your community and explain it with a compelling story or two.  Dress as if you were interviewing on campus, do 60 seconds of cardio, log in early, and take several deep breaths.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, lc3035 said:

I know how much I disliked it when people said, "Just be yourself."  I never found that helpful in suppressing my nerves.  After 5 interviews and acceptance to 2 programs, I'll say the same sort of thing but in a different way.  When I interviewed on campus, I found myself in a room with 20+ other candidates.  Each one of us was smart, a good student, and capable of doing the work necessary to successfully complete the program.  During the interview, focus on what makes you a better candidate than the person they will talk to next.  What makes you different?  Use stories where possible when answering questions.  Stand out and make sure they remember you.  Their website explains the mission of their program.  Think about how you will support that mission within your community and explain it with a compelling story or two.  Dress as if you were interviewing on campus, do 60 seconds of cardio, log in early, and take several deep breaths.

I will add to this and say to remember that you are interviewing them just as they are interviewing you. Do your research on the school, their philosophy, their faculty, their curriculum, etc. Be honest in your answers. There are many resources available for interview prep that have good, thought provoking questions. Be able to answer the basic questions, but don't be mechanical in your answers because it can come off as ingenuine. Good luck!

2 hours ago, RunItOut said:

I will add to this and say to remember that you are interviewing them just as they are interviewing you. Do your research on the school, their philosophy, their faculty, their curriculum, etc. Be honest in your answers. There are many resources available for interview prep that have good, thought provoking questions. Be able to answer the basic questions, but don't be mechanical in your answers because it can come off as ingenuine. Good luck!

Yes! Think through some of the questions that may have been lingering in your brain, and write them down. It might also be helpful to keep a pen and paper handy in case you have questions that come to you during the interview. I felt so much more prepared knowing that I had my questions at hand if I needed them. Good luck!!

On 9/13/2017 at 2:48 PM, RunItOut said:

Does anyone know when the school is supposed to receive an accreditation decision? My employer keeps asking about PA school and whether I'm leaving in Jan or next summer. I don't want to tell them Jan and let them start the process of replacing me if Yale, for some reason, doesn't get approved. 

I am in the same exact boat.  In fact my employer wants a definitive date now and I can't give it to him.  I still have one more interview in mid October, but he won't wait for that.  If I get into that program I would still choose Yale, but if Yale doesn't receive the accreditation I'll have no choice.  So I guess I'm going to be going out on a limb and turn in my resignation and hope for the best.  Most places want two weeks, my employer wants three months.  But as you said, if they start the replacement process and Yale doesn't get approved, and I don't get accepted anywhere else...then I just lost my job :/. It's a tough choice.  I was hoping Yale would have heard something by now.  

Archived