2.6 gpa realistic to get in?

I was in a very similar boat you were in coming out of undergrad (my university GPA wasn't too low), but my CASPA was ~2.7 (a couple failed classes, and handful of retakes). Here was my post on it,http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/18-pa-applicant-stats-page/page-55#entry290922 if you have any questions let me know. It will take some dedication but its possible :)

Also D-Wads advice is probably biggest thing once you get to the application stage. Finding the right school (the mistake i made)

I was presented with the opportunity to complete an accelerated nursing program as well. Although my GPA is a tad higher than yours, I would consider truly going for the BSN because it would give you a clean slate with a new bachelor's degree GPA (and this GPA will be used by programs because it is most recent). To add, you can always continue on to be an NP. Not that I am steering you away from the PA profession at all. It would be an easier path because of the circumstance. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bolded is not correct. CASPA calculates your overall cum GPA from EVERY college class you've ever taken not just your last completed bachelors degree... unfortunately for some of us with lower GPAs due to bad early grades from years ago. 

CASPA will calculate an overall GPA of every undergraduate course ever completed. However, a handful of programs will take the most recent GPA from an ABSN program. They will have to personally review that. Of course, every program is different. Like I mentioned prior, I know a many RNs, now PAs,  that I work with who have tried this route. 

With that said, do your research to ensure that the program you are applying to will take it as a separate GPA. Or programs that will accept last 60 credit waivers. 

Good luck!

CASPA will calculate an overall GPA of every undergraduate course ever completed. However, a handful of programs will take the most recent GPA from an ABSN program. They will have to personally review that. Of course, every program is different. Like I mentioned prior, I know a many RNs, now PAs,  that I work with who have tried this route. 

With that said, do your research to ensure that the program you are applying to will take it as a separate GPA. Or programs that will accept last 60 credit waivers. 

Good luck!

What is a last 60 credit waiver? Which programs do that? All new to me.

I second the BSN thing. My friend is doing it. He's not going to apply for PA though. He will work as a RN for a year, gain clinicals, earn some money, and go to NP.

Archived