Missiles launched at NCCPA

https://www.aapa.org/pas-connect/2017/04/nccpa-lobbying-derails-pa-legislation/

April 13, 2017

NCCPA lobbying derails PA legislation

Message from Josanne Pagel, MPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA, President and Chair of the Board, AAPA:

AAPA has been working diligently with our state chapters to advance PA-positive legislation. One of our primary areas of focus has been West Virginia where there has been overwhelming bipartisan support for improvements to the PA practice act.

Unfortunately, due to lobbying by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice vetoed a bill on April 12 that had been unanimously approved by the legislature and would have expanded access to high quality healthcare, particularly in rural and medically underserved areas of the state.

We are not alone in noticing that one of the lobbyists hired by NCCPA is also a lobbyist for the Greenbrier Resort, which is owned by Governor Justice. This is quite concerning.

The vetoed legislation would have allowed PAs to work with “collaborating” rather than “supervising” physicians, expanded PA prescriptive authority for Schedule III medications to 30 days from the current restriction of 72 hours, and authorized PAs to sign an extensive list of forms that previously had to be signed by a physician, including death certificates. It would have also repealed a requirement for current NCCPA certification for license renewal.

Prior to the legislation being vetoed, the West Virginia Association of PAs, in partnership with AAPA, fended off an NCCPA amendment that would have required PAs to maintain their NCCPA certification to retain their licenses. In fact, in a committee hearing, legislators openly challenged the arguments presented by NCCPA and highlighted NCCPA’s financial motivations for pursuing the amendment.

The governor’s veto will hurt patients and is alarming to AAPA and its members. It’s possible that he made his decision without all of the facts. Members of the West Virginia Association of PAs are working with AAPA to quickly mobilize PAs in the state and to determine if the veto can be reversed.

AAPA has repeatedly asked NCCPA to halt its lobbying, which has thus far targeted West Virginia, New Mexico and Illinois. In all three states, NCCPA has pushed a false and self-serving narrative. Contrary to NCCPA’s claims, there is no evidence that recertification testing improves quality of care or patient safety. As a result, AAPA has consistently opposed statutory requirements for PAs to take NCCPA recertification tests for license renewal. In fact, 31 states and D.C. do not link PA recertification and licensure. AAPA believes that PAs should be required to maintain their licenses through continuing medical education (CME).

NCCPA lobbyists are also interfering in Illinois, and in the same way. NCCPA is attempting to add a new recertification requirement for license renewal in the must-pass reauthorization of the state’s PA practice act. If a reauthorization bill does not pass, PAs will no longer be permitted to practice in the state.

In New Mexico, the state PA chapter worked with members of the legislature and a number of stakeholders to craft a comprehensive and progressive bill. But NCCPA’s lobbying dealt a blow to the legislation. NCCPA was successful in inserting a requirement for current certification for license renewal into the bill. After NCCPA raised its objections, other groups also requested amendments, which ultimately weakened the bill. The legislature approved the measure and the governor signed it April 6.

AAPA continues to voice its vehement opposition to NCCPA’s harmful lobbying. In addition, we have been supporting state PA chapters by developing legislative strategies; drafting rebuttals, talking points, and letters of support; and sending out legislative action alerts.

We continue to closely monitor state registration of lobbyists by NCCPA. At the moment, we are not aware of any additional states where NCCPA is actively lobbying, but we cannot rule out the possibility of further interference. We do know, however, that NCCPA is discussing its position with PA regulatory boards across the country. We must be prepared to advocate on every front for what is best for the PA profession and our patients.

In addition, AAPA has contacted the state PA chapters in the 19 states where NCCPA recertification is required for maintenance of licensure, and has offered assistance to remove this requirement.

As the voice of PAs, AAPA will redouble our efforts to prevent NCCPA from hurting PA practice and restricting patient access to care. And we need your help!

We urge all PAs to contact NCCPA leaders at nccpa@nccpa.net or (678) 417-8100 and demand that NCCPA stop the lobbying that is so harmful to PAs and our patients.

• Upvote 2

Unbelievable.....

time for a revolt within.....   http://www.nccpa.net/Board

They are looking for board members and although there is not pay -they do pay for all expenses to attend meetings....

Seriously we need to FORCE a change by changing their board and insisting on change....  

here is another example from their Feb 2017 newsletter with them still drinking their own Koolaid......   PI is a joke and only a money maker....

PI-CME Benefits Practice, Patients and PAs

While Performance Improvement CME (PI-CME) is no longer required for certification maintenance, some Certified PAs are voluntarily completing PI-CME activities and proving their value and positive impact. Following simple steps can lead to practice improvement and significant advances in patient care. Plus, now PAs earn double credits for this type of CME--the first 20 PI-CME credits logged during every two-year cycle will be doubled when logged with NCCPA.

Two case studies show how Certified PAs are using PI-CME to make simple but impactful improvements to patient care. Read these PI-CME success stories.  

Do you have a PI-CME story to share? Email a summary and your contact information to pr@nccpa.net.

I am going to call and email  TODAY to them know my feelings....

Feedback and questions are always welcome. Send general inquiries and comments to nccpa@nccpa.net, or contact our President/CEO.

President EMAIL is               dmorton-rias@nccpa.net

Dawn Morton-Rias, Ed.D, PA-C - NCCPA President/CEO 

contact info

NCCPA 
12000 Findley Road, Suite 100 
Johns Creek, GA 30097-14

Come on PAForum - lets make our voices heard!

Unbelievable.....

time for a revolt within..... http://www.nccpa.net/Board

They are looking for board members and although there is not pay -they do pay for all expenses to attend meetings....

Seriously we need to FORCE a change by changing their board and insisting on change....

From their website:

"The NCCPA Nominating Committee will review all properly submitted applications. Competitive candidates will be interviewed by phone in late May or early June. The committee will then recommend candidates to the NCCPA Board, who will elect two at a meeting in early August."

A self-selecting board with no general vote. How is this legal or appropriate for such a high-stakes organization? I agree- we must change the NCCPA and their very inappropriate interference with PA certification and practice.

I think they are also trying to weed out anyone who might want to join the NCCPA board with the goal of reforming the organization into a pro-PA group (as opposed to what it is now, very anti-PA). Look at this gem:

"3. Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest

An NCCPA director must have undivided allegiance to the NCCPA and its mission1. Therefore, an NCCPA director must disclose any business, professional, or personal interest in a matter before the NCCPA director participates in any decision-making or takes any action on behalf of NCCPA regarding that matter."

Wow, our hunches were right.

In fact, in a committee hearing, legislators openly challenged the arguments presented by NCCPA and highlighted NCCPA’s financial motivations for pursuing the amendment.

Oh you dont say? Yes, curious why an organization that charges $150 per year for every certified PA to maintain their "C" would want re-certification to be mandatory for licensure...

• Upvote 1

Just fired off my email to NCCPA.

AAPA needs a press conference to address this on a national basis.

Every single PA - the 110,000 of us in the nation should have a voice about how our funds are spent and how our legislation is influenced.

NCCPA has shown true colors and it is not ok.

I never minded the PANRE as a measure of competency among my colleagues but the subversive actions of NCCPA for influence are simply unacceptable.

AAPA can take over certification as far as I am concerned.

• Upvote 2

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. 

WEAK at best and doesn't include the subversive behavior with the governor's own lobbyist or the idea that those 115,000 PAs they supposedly represent weren't asked about all this.

AAPA represents me, not NCCPA. NCCPA either works WITH AAPA 100% or AAPA can become the certifying organization and NCCPA can take a hike.

Message from the NCCPA Board Chair on Legislative Activities

As your certification organization, we are required to keep patients, regulators, legislators, employers, and insurers informed about the rigorous processes that you and over 115,000 PAs undertake to maintain your PA-C designation. The PA-C and the high standards associated with being awarded and maintaining this credential are recognized and trusted. This credential matters to you and your patients, and it matters to us. 

In a handful of states, efforts are underway to remove NCCPA certification as a condition for licensure. The NCCPA opposes this action because it is not in the public’s interest to lower standards that are associated with life-long learning (CME) and demonstrated retention of core medical knowledge (PANRE). As a result and consistent with our mission, the NCCPA is actively working to educate legislators and regulators about PA certification. In three states, we have registered our opposition to proposed changes to remove various elements related to PA certification.

The governor of West Virginia just sent a strong message that certification matters. On April 12, he announced his veto of legislation that would have eliminated current certification as a requirement for initial licensure and for licensure renewal for the state’s PAs. We recognize there was additional language in this bill that would have modernized the state’s PA practice act, and we supported much of the language and intent of the bill.

However, the governor clearly recognized that maintaining and demonstrating current medical knowledge is important to the public’s health, and a decision to lower standards, particularly in concert with changes that increase PA practice authority is inconsistent and not in the public’s best interest. At a time when the nation needs PAs to do more for more patients, we must continue to maintain the high standards that helped the profession to reach this point of public acceptance and patient trust.  

We recognize this is a time of change for our profession. We want efforts that improve PA practice to succeed, and so we urge state PA academies to consider that arguments to expand PA scope of practice and authority are weakened when accompanied by proposals that lower public protection standards. Without public respect and support, we may lose the backing of legislators and patients in other states. We will continue to focus our efforts to ensure the PA-C credential is meaningful, trusted as the gold standard and that it continues to be a key factor in the strong reputation Certified PAs enjoy with employers and patients.

Let’s tell the world: we are proud to be PA-Cs and are proud of the standards we meet that demonstrate our commitment to lifelong learning and to our patients.

Mary L. Warner, MMSc, PA-C,

Chair, NCCPA Board of Directors

My reply to Mary Warner:

Let us be clear. There is not one whit of proof that NCCPA certification keeps anyone safe or improves quality of care..none...zero. Instead it has become a do or die test in minutia and irrelevance that threatens the livelihood of multitudes of qualified skilled PAs nation wide.

Your efforts are to keep lining the coffers of the NCCPA and you are doing it by stepping on the throats of the PAs state by state. Your efforts are fomenting a revolution that, if there is a God in heaven, will bring the NCCPA to its knees. If you don't see it coming and you don't modify your behaviors you will get exactly what you deserve. STOP INTERFERING WITH PAS AT THE STATE LEVEL.

Scott A. Stegall PhD, PA-C
Secretary- Physician Assistants For Tomorrow
Founding Member- Physician Assistant Business Alliance of Texas
  • Upvote 1

My email.......

People it is time to make your voices heard - email NCCPA - talk this up - this is insane!!

I am FURIOUS that NCCPA has obstructed the advancement of the PA profession

This is a very poor move for NCCPA to have done and I am very unhappy.

I will strongly support AAPA creating an alternative certifying body as I can not believe NCCPA would stoop to such a low level of self interested politics!

Show me even a single study (we all should try to utilize EBM!) that shows standard testing (and the fee's collected by NCCPA) actually provide an increase in care.  

As you are a PA I truly hope you are ashamed of your behaviors as they are hurting the very profession you are supposed to help.

A very disappointed 15+ year PA

• Upvote 2

I also emailed AAPA governance listing on their website. 

Discussed my vote of No Confidence and desire for AAPA to take over certification as NCCPA has demonstrated a complete inability to work collaboratively and is not actually representing its paying subjects.

Everyone seriously has to participate. If there are 115000 of us and even 75000 find this unacceptable, then NCCPA and AAPA need to hear from every single PA. I believe many more would find it subversive for NCCPA to take to state legislation lobbying for its own benefit. 

I don't find it acceptable that my dollars to NCCPA are going to lobby in individual states without MY personal endorsement of how that money is spent or what is voted on.

There are 115,000 of us and certainly only a handful of folks at NCCPA. We have to be heard. 

Send an email, make a phone call. Express yourselves with dignity, pride and without profanity. Make it clear that WE want to guide our future.

• Upvote 1

My response to the NCCPA email:  

The actions of the NCCPA in West Virginia, as well as in New Mexico and in Illinois, make me ASHAMED to be associated with NCCPA (unfortunately the only certifying organization for PAs ... at this time).  

When an organization puts its own financial interests (a possible loss of re-certification fees, plus the financial benefits it receives from the PANRE review courses it endorses) ahead of progressive legislative changes that would remove barriers to PA practice and improve the access to health care for the very persons the NCCPA is posturing that it is "protecting", it is a very sad day for the PA profession.  

Colluding with a single elected leader to act contrary to the 100% supported actions of the elected representatives of the people of the state of West Virginia is reprehensible on the part of NCCPA.  I heartily hope the people "speak" via their representatives to overturn this governor's decision as well as via their votes in their next election.

No, I am NOT proud to be aspiring to be a PA-C.

The NCCPA BOD and staff should be ashamed.  

Regretfully,

AliB, MS, MMSc (candidate), PA-S

The above opinions are my own and not those of any organization or institution with whom I am associated.  

• Upvote 2

After reading today's email from NCCPA ( Message from the NCCPA Board Chair on Legislative Activities ) I immediately got onto this forum to see what everyone is thinking. As I read the above comments I am even more fired up. I have been a PA since 2000 and I have never felt so "unproud" of the profession I chose. I used to speak highly of being a PA and promote others to become one as well. In the past year or so I have done the exact opposite. Instead, I have encouraged others to become a NP!! I'm being brutally honest, I have not been promoting my profession because I'm fed up with NCCPA. There's days I wonder if NCCPA is run by a bunch of nurse practitioners that hate us. Do they not read the AAPA forum or this forum of how the NPs are taking our jobs. Are they so blind that when the NPs take many of the PA jobs that will be less money from dues, PANRE, etc for their pockets.

We are held to a standard that NCCPA created, but why?? We now have our government implementing MIPS/PQRS as self assessment for a standard of patient care.I'm sorry but the PANRE does NOT reflect my knowledge in my specialty. The PANRE does not keep my lupus, psoriasis, or any other derm patient SAFE!!!! My collaborative efforts with my doc does. Our licensing needs to be more in line with the NPs, as much as I hate saying this. Medical practices are looking at the cost of hiring a PA vs. a NP, they don't always value our education because it's about the bottom line...... money. If the NCCPA doesn't look at our competition (i.e. NPs) they are going to put us out of work. We have to be proactive with a change in our licensing.

What's the best way to get NCCPA to listen to us? Write to NCCPA? Write to AAPA? Who will listen and help make the change???

I completely agree with Scott A. Stegall PhD, PA-C. The PANRE has put some very knowledgeable PAs out of work that were veterans in their field often serving under served areas in their states. The PANRE has changed their format and it's not to promote us keeping our license. I recently (still waiting to get my results) took the exam and it's much harder than the previous exams I took. The months and hours I prepared did NOT help my patient's safety or treatment outcome, in fact it took time away from offering more hours in clinic.

The sad fact is, if there was a bridge program from being a PA to becoming a NP I would enroll!!!!!! That's a HORRIBLE thing to say, but it's just how I feel with our licensing process and how NCCPA is screwing up our profession.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator

Let's use this frustration.

We have basically three choices:

1) Give up

2) Destroy the NCCPA

3) Reform the NCCPA.

Now, since 3) depends on the consent of a self-perpetuating board, it may seem like the longest shot... but it would also be the way to fix the problem in a positive and non-destructive manner.  Here is what I propose:

1) All "at large" board positions (including the public member at large) will be nominated and elected democratically by all currently NCCPA-certified PAs.

2) All organization-nominated board positions would be nominated by their respective organizations, but subject to a vote of confidence before taking office: Unless 50% of all currently NCCPA-certified PAs voting in the election approved the board candidate, the candidate would not be seated and the nominating organization would be unrepresented until the next scheduled (yearly) cycle.

(for reference: https://www.nccpa.net/board)

• Upvote 2

I continue to say that nice letters and phone calls won't get it done. We need a start of a smear campaign of the NCCPA and its individual board members.We need to find opportunities to report them to regulatory authorities for violations of law. We have to focus on getting inside information, finding ways to make living and working at the NCCPA miserable and unbearable. We shouldn't worry about sticking to facts. We just have find find kernels of truth and extrapolate those into professionally damaging rhetoric in the press. Disinformation and misinformation about the NCCPA should be our goal. Being nice won't cut it. Think Karl Rove of the Bush era or Lee Atwater of the Reagan era. Those guys are my heroes and we need to style ourselves like them.

Laundry list...

Start doing background checks on all the board members

Get private embarrassing information about board members from coworkers and employees

Get Irs submissions for the NCCPA since it is nonprofit. 501c required to publish information. Start the for disinformation and get them on their heels against the ropes.

If any PAs live near boards members, I suggest going through their garbage when it is at the curb. Look for targets of opportunity.

Our mission must be to tear down the NCCPA and anyone who aligns themselves with these mobsters.

Your professional lives depend on just that.

little to drastic for my liking, count me out on this

I am a professional and will always act like one.  Professionally I disagree with them and will strive to force change, but I am not going to stoop to this level.....

• Upvote 4

I read the email I got from the NCCPA about West Virginia.  I am absolutely disgusted, yet not even one atom of me is one bit surprised.

I am officially discussed with the NCCPA and also ashamed to be forced to be in any way connected with NCCPA and, worse, awakened to their SELF-SERVING ways and bullying.  The posting by the NCCPA absolutely reeks of their self-serving ways and it NEEDS to be stopped.

I am sick and tired of the NCCPA bullying their ways and their cause and using the power they have to do so.  The NCCPA has a lot money to lobby and it is money that WE have given them.

They plainly say that PAs are "safer to the public" by taking high stakes re-cert exams.  I, for one, do NOT agree.  They know that those, who don't practice in medicine, buy into this.  We have let this go on for TOO LONG!

I do think it's time for PAs to stop pointing fingers and saying this or that organization isn't doing anything for us but WE need to get involved OURSELVES.  That is what NPs do and that is certainly partly why they have much more success with legislation. 

The NCCPA continues to tell us what's good for us.  They act like overbearing parents, who display authoritarianism but we are adults in our profession!  It's the state boards and PA boards of medicine that are responsible to protect the public, NOT the NCCPA.  The NCCPA "educates" people in administrative roles (not those who practice medicine) that we'll be less "safer" by dropping requirement for PANRE for state license but they purposely fail to tell these people that, those states, who have, still maintain CME requirements.  The email I got from the NCCPA says they're telling these administrative people that by dropping the requirement at state level, it gets rid of CME, which is not true. 

I spoke with a PA friend and she doesn't want to write the NCCPA, despite feeling very opposed to their actions, b/c she feels like she'd be put on some "list" and, THAT is exactly what their authoritarian bullying ways do to some of us!  It is deplorable and needs to be stopped. 

Don't be fooled please, my colleagues... The NCCPA makes a lot of money (we give them) and they will fight hard to keep their ways and in existence and, whenever money is at stake, so is greed and they will be crooked about it.  They pay for, and have, lawyers and, guess what?  There is more level of crooked right there.  We won't get our voice heard by being nice...please understand this.

C'mon PAs.. we MUST stand up for ourselves!  What is the BEST way to do this?! 

• Upvote 2

I continue to say that nice letters and phone calls won't get it done. We need a start of a smear campaign of the NCCPA and its individual board members.We need to find opportunities to report them to regulatory authorities for violations of law. We have to focus on getting inside information, finding ways to make living and working at the NCCPA miserable and unbearable. We shouldn't worry about sticking to facts. We just have find find kernels of truth and extrapolate those into professionally damaging rhetoric in the press. Disinformation and misinformation about the NCCPA should be our goal. Being nice won't cut it. Think Karl Rove of the Bush era or Lee Atwater of the Reagan era. Those guys are my heroes and we need to style ourselves like them.

Laundry list...

Start doing background checks on all the board members

Get private embarrassing information about board members from coworkers and employees

Get Irs submissions for the NCCPA since it is nonprofit. 501c required to publish information. Start the for disinformation and get them on their heels against the ropes.

If any PAs live near boards members, I suggest going through their garbage when it is at the curb. Look for targets of opportunity.

Our mission must be to tear down the NCCPA and anyone who aligns themselves with these mobsters.

Your professional lives depend on just that.

Damn....do you work for the DNC??

• Upvote 6

Guest Paula

They already stooped to the lowest level by taking money you have to pay them and using it to harm you with disinformation and misinformation. One of the key board members at the NCCPA is a close relative of the late Lee Atwater. It has been reported that at NCCPA board meetings this board member actually quotes strategies used by Atwater in order to fight against FPAR.

Do you have proof?

Guest Paula

This thread is getting out of hand with mentions of smear campaigns, garbge raids and politics...get that outta here!

LOL!  love your on line name!

This thread is getting out of hand with mentions of smear campaigns, garbge raids and politics...get that outta here!

Although I don't agree with garbage raids, there is significant level of politics at play.  I respectfully say to my colleagues here that the NCCPA have lawyers and have hired lobbyists to go to state boards of medicine to fight to their agenda.  It's real.  We should not expect anything will be done if we're nice about things.  I'm not saying we shouldn't be professional but let's please not be naive either.  Lobbying, being a strong voice, and knowing we're facing a very rich company, who pay for lawyers, is the real deal.

• Upvote 1