Seeking advice

I am currently a junior at the University of Minnesota getting my B.S. in nutrition. I will be an extra semester because I went into college not knowing what I wanted to get a degree in. I officially decided to shoot for physician assistant after my freshman year of college. I'm worried because I still have a fairly low gpa (3.1.) I know there are many posts that come up on here about statistics from undergrads looking for feedback. I would just like someone's opinion who has been accepted or has completed pa school. I've worked as a nursing assistant at a nursing home for over a year now, I went on call this fall when I was offered a job to start IV's at a plasma center. I'm just curious as to what I should be doing? I feel that academics will almost always trump experience. I also realized that within the next two years I have many more sciences classes to take, but even with good grades my gpa will not improve significantly because I already have so many credits. Lastly, is research recommended? How much does that boost your application.

Any advice is welcomed.

I am currently a junior at the University of Minnesota getting my B.S. in nutrition. I will be an extra semester because I went into college not knowing what I wanted to get a degree in. I officially decided to shoot for physician assistant after my freshman year of college. I'm worried because I still have a fairly low gpa (3.1.) I know there are many posts that come up on here about statistics from undergrads looking for feedback. I would just like someone's opinion who has been accepted or has completed pa school. I've worked as a nursing assistant at a nursing home for over a year now, I went on call this fall when I was offered a job to start IV's at a plasma center. I'm just curious as to what I should be doing? I feel that academics will almost always trump experience. I also realized that within the next two years I have many more sciences classes to take, but even with good grades my gpa will not improve significantly because I already have so many credits. Lastly, is research recommended? How much does that boost your application.

Any advice is welcomed.

I haven't been accepted yet, but I would definitely do what blburns said. Focus some attention on the GRE, but I say place more emphasis on your GPA and extracurriculars, because I am certain that is what the adcoms look at. Definitely attempt to get an upward curve going, considering the adcoms look at your last 60 credit hours. Your HCE is fantastic, and is definitely some quality patient care. If you do these few things, you'd be well on your way to becoming a competitive applicant.

If it helps, I had over 200 gpa hours at the time I applied as I had a bachelors in criminology/sociology and a masters in social work. My overall gpa was a 3.3 because they counted EVERYTHING I EVER took including classes that I took at a CC in high school (a decade ago). Now, with that being said, my post bacc is a 4.0 and MOST of my science classes were post bacc. My science gpa was my saving grace as I had a 3.77 (and I THINK the science gpa is looked at more closely than overall). I also had about 12,500 hours of HCE.....with that being said, I was offered interviews to most schools I applied to, have gotten several acceptances, and still have 2 interviews to go to including Duke and Emory. Focus on your science classes...GET A's IN THEM and that will slowly pull up your overall. Do well on your GREs and try to get as much unique experience as you can.... that will set you apart from others....also continue with your HCE. Good Luck!

I agree with what other people have said. Continue to get the HCE hours and then look to apply to school that put more weight on health care hours. Also, a nutrition degree may stand out, and play that up in your application - you know how nutrition affects health status and you will be well equipped to work in a multidisciplinary team. (I'm a dietetics major and this is what I did and I was accepted.)

What schools are you interested in? Pick 3-5 that you would love to attend and focus on those.

You say academics almost always trumps experience? What does that mean exactly?

I agree with the above...continue your sciences, continue acquiring HCE and allow your grades to increase. But...

What do you do with your free time? Volunteer? I worked full time, took 14 units of school work/semester, and volunteered (big brother, adults w/disabilities, veterans club, etc). Theres always free time...

I've been accepted to UW/Medex, so I'm not going to give you a candy coated answer that says if you get straight A's with minimal hce you'll be fine...Adcoms look at the whole package. If your gpa is low, make sure other areas of your app are outstanding...

Not too sure about your research question...I guess it couldn't hurt you if that was in your arsenal.

Corpsman2PA, how do you work full-time while taking that many units (I'm assuming units = hours) of classwork? Unless you were taking classes on the weekend or online too, there just isn't enough hours in a day to be at work and then in a classrom for that long.

There's 168 hours in a week. Work/commute = ~40hrs....down to 128. School/study/HW = ~45hrs. Down to 83. Sleep~ 5-6hrs/ night. Down to 41 hrs...41 hours extra....thats a lot of free time to add to studying, sleeping, volunteering, dinner with the wife, church on saturday nights...I studied in the car on our way to weddings, family gatherings, etc.

Work = M/W/F/Sunday... with a 45 minute commute.

School = Tues/Thurs 8am-8pm with a 30 minute commute each way.

Volunteer= On saturdays, or requesting a day off work.

No classes on the weekend, no online classes. Those who say its impossible should stay out of the way of those doing it...Now I'm in limbo waiting to start PA school. Thus I'm frequenting the forums and brushing up on some A/P, Micro, etc to stay fresh.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that had a crazy schedule like this. Was it tough? Yes. Was it worth it? Heck yes.

Those who say its impossible should stay out of the way of those doing it...

Amen! My husband was a full-time student in math (so not an easy major) and worked two jobs. It can be done if you have discipline and the desire to make it work. Some people have all that AND kids. (And kudos to them, cuz dear Pete!)

I'm just curious, and I mean this for everyone who comes on the forum and asks this same exact question: if you have a low undergrad GPA, how do you expect to obtain a better one in a demanding grad program? What are you currently doing wrong: study skills, time management, something else? I'd address that issue before I continued spending time and money on something.

I applaud you, Corpsman. I was looking at it from the angle that you had a full-time desk job (what I have) and so your only options would be to take classes at night (which is what I'm doing). Given those premises, you can only take 8 hours a semester unless you tack in some online or weekend classes.

I applaud you, Corpsman. I was looking at it from the angle that you had a full-time desk job (what I have) and so your only options would be to take classes at night (which is what I'm doing). Given those premises, you can only take 8 hours a semester unless you tack in some online or weekend classes.

Roger that. Yeah my work is flexible since its an urgent care, only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Opens up the work week and makes it doable.

Corpsman2PA, how do you work full-time while taking that many units (I'm assuming units = hours) of classwork? Unless you were taking classes on the weekend or online too, there just isn't enough hours in a day to be at work and then in a classrom for that long.

I'm in the same boat as Corpsman2PA. Even 3 years ago I would not have thought that I could squeeze as much as I do out of each day. When you have a goal that is worth accomplishing for a reason that is worth doing it for, you wouldn't believe what you can make your body and mind do!

I'm a UMN grad myself and I just got accepted to Augsburg. My GPA was pretty average, but I had solid HCE and I think that was my saving grace. Your work as a nursing assistant will definitely make you an appealing candidate. I would almost suggest working as a CNA or PCA over the plasma center job, since you are performing cares and showing that you are responsible for fragile patients. If you are considering applying to Augsburg, they focus heavily on "service to the underserved." Look for volunteer positions at a homeless shelter, HCMC, or anywhere you can interact with those populations. Also, the supplemental application has 6-7 essays, including prompts about underserved communities, so if you can draw on personal experiences for those questions your application will greatly improve for the Augsburg committee. I can't speak for other programs since I only applied to Augsburg, but I assumed you might want to try to stay in MN. Good luck!!

Those who say its impossible should stay out of the way of those doing it...

This may be the best thing I've seen on here in some time. Totally agree. People always say "oh my, I could never do that" or question openly how it's possible. I say, you never know what you're capable of until you just have to get it done.

Archived