Deciding between two programs: UTMB & Western University

I was set to attend UTMB in Galveston since being accepted in November. Today I received an acceptance to Western University in Pomona.

I am a native SoCal resident. I love CA, but I have grown tired of the traffic. I hate driving.

Cost at Western is about 41,000 each year, it is a 24 month program.

Cost at UTMB is about 36,000 the first year, 39,000 the second and about 7,000 for the extra three months, it is a 27 month program.

Rent in Galveston is about the same because I am traveling with three dogs and am limited in housing options. Leaving them is not an option.

PANCE rate at Western for 2015 was 92% with a five year average of 90%.

PANCE rate at Galveston for 2015 was 100% and in 2016 it was 95% with a five year average of 98%. The data for 2016 at Western was not listed.

I am now torn. I like Texas and was looking forward to moving out of CA. However, staying in CA would be less disruptive to my life at this time. However, I do not like that Western does not have their own hospital, clinics and rotations can take place up to a 60 mile radius. UTMB has a large network of local rotation sites, which I like.

I am a bit hung up on prestige. I think UTMB is a better program overall. But Western is close to home and I would be able to keep the same medical, dental, car insurance etc. My family would also be close by. I have a chronic medical condition and I would have to find a new network of providers if I go to Texas.

I want to be the best provider I can be. I guess I am wondering if I would have equal potential at either program? Moving is worth the hassle only if there is a real difference between programs. I don't know if there really is.

What have you heard about either program? Thoughts? Suggestions?

My head hurts just thinking about the choice.

Thanks in advance.

Ultimately you are the only one who can make the call but a couple things stand out to me based on what you said.

Cost is the same.

UTMB better clinical sites huge pro

You would branch out of California but where do you want to end up practicing as a PA? If the answer is California then Western might be better on that point.

PANCE is much better with UTMB. What is the attrition rate for each school?

You've likely already invested some money for your deposit for UTMB (not a big deal in the whole scheme of PA school costs, but it could matter)

How badly do you want to stay near family? For me personally it has been a blessing to be far away from family since I'm very close with them and it would have been a distraction. 

It might come down to the convenience of staying in CA where you are already comfortable versus a whole new location.

My 2cents :D

Ultimately you are the only one who can make the call but a couple things stand out to me based on what you said.

Cost is the same.

UTMB better clinical sites huge pro

You would branch out of California but where do you want to end up practicing as a PA? If the answer is California then Western might be better on that point.

PANCE is much better with UTMB. What is the attrition rate for each school?

You've likely already invested some money for your deposit for UTMB (not a big deal in the whole scheme of PA school costs, but it could matter)

How badly do you want to stay near family? For me personally it has been a blessing to be far away from family since I'm very close with them and it would have been a distraction. 

It might come down to the convenience of staying in CA where you are already comfortable versus a whole new location.

My 2cents :D

The attrition rate for 2014 at Western was 1%, aside from this year, I believe they both hover around 3%.

I don't know where I want to practice. Well, not true, lol. If CA real estate was cheaper, it would be CA hands down. However, I want to own a home and don't see that happening in a desirable place in CA. I also like that people in Texas just seem to be nicer in general. And traffic in places I wouldn't mind living like Dallas is not like Los Angeles or Berkeley, where I went to undergrad. I hate traffic and living in LA and sitting in traffic has started to wear me out.

I would pay more in rent in CA. About 300 more a month now that I think about it. Cost is a factor, but not the dominant issue. I am actually in Texas now set to sign a lease. Terrible timing. Hence the headache.

Family is not distracting for me because I would live about an hour away with no traffic from my family, so like two hours with traffic minimum, lol. No surprise visitors. But the ability to attend family events if I so desired.

In a perfect world I would choose UTMB. But my world is far from perfect so I can't overlook the convenience of staying in CA.

Do you think PANCE rate can be attributed to Western admitting students who have little to no health care experience or is it factor of training?

• 4 weeks later...

Just fyi, you will gain residency in a texas after a year and will pay in-state tuition after that ($16k for the second year). Additionally, cost of living in Texas in significantly cheaper. You may want to live on the island to be close to school, but you could live on the mainland (like Texas City or Dickinson) and only be a 30 minute drive away from campus.

Archived