making my own schedule

A friend of mine has been tasked to make a schedule for her to see 24 patients in 8 hour day.  When to schedule new and for how long and f/u's and for how long.  I should say that this is a new family practice and presently is seeing 3-10 a day!!  This is a long term plan.  Any suggestions from family practice on how to schedule??  Thanks

24 patients in 8 hours is quite a lot if your friend is also wanting to see new patients. Previously, my template has been 45-60 minute slots for new patients (pending acuity and chief complaint) and 20 minute recheck slots (15 minute visit, 5 minutes for charting, bathroom, coffee, etc). I generally preferred new patient visits in the morning and rechecks in the afternoon but I was pretty flexible with that.

24 patients in FP in 8 hours is RIDICULOUS - I know, because I am doing it and I have been around a long time.

We use 10 min appts for "med checks", UTIs, sore throats, etc.

20 min for "complex med check" (as if there is a difference) and psych.

30 min for physicals.

I firmly believe 10 minute appts are INSANE and a travesty to medicine. My schedule can balloon to 24-26 if the front desk is loose without guidance.

My honest and deeply seated opinion is that no appt be less than 15 minutes. 

After all these years - I think 18-20 a day in 8 hrs is the MAX LIMIT of sanity and good medicine.

I know that FP is volume over quality to "keep the lights on" - BUT - patient safety, doing the right thing and saving one's own sanity is of utmost importance.

Let's not set a poor precedent and maintain excellent patient care!

We do 15 minute follow ups/established patients, 30 minutes for known complicated patients/preop physicals/sports physicals/DOT exams, and 45 minutes for complete annual physicals. I agree 24 scheduled in an 8 hour day would be difficult, especially factoring in time for lunch and charting. I guess if i had to make a schedule with those circumstances i'd do 18 15 minute slots (4.5 hours), 2 45 minute slots(1.5 hours), 4 30 minute slots (2 hours). You wont be finding time for lunch or much charting tho.

Thanks for the feedback... we have two locations, I had a day at the established location last month and saw 18 patients in just over 6 hours (was scheduled that day 8-3 with my last patient slotted at 2pm). If I used the guidelines above... and looking at the mix of patients I had... 2 est f/u, four WCC, 1 adult physical, 8 sick patients and three new patients with various concerns... I should have had about 8 hours or more for this patient load... As per their template, visits are scheduled every 20 min with doubles in some slots (to allow for no show and cancellations) up to 24 or 26 max. On that date visits averaged 20 min per client when all was said and done and that is not including the charting I did at home later...

Since this is the expectation clearly at the new clinic (same company) and they are asking me to give them a template for my day (they will tell me how many WCC, Physicals and f/u visits I should be seeing to be sure patient loads are evenly distributed among providers) I wanted to come up with a reasonable answer that would hopefully set me up for success.

As soon as I have the numbers of WCC/physicals and f/u visits I will apply some of these figures and see how best to arrange the mix...

Thank you for your help/comments!

Thanks for the feedback... we have two locations, I had a day at the established location last month and saw 18 patients in just over 6 hours (was scheduled that day 8-3 with my last patient slotted at 2pm). If I used the guidelines above... and looking at the mix of patients I had... 2 est f/u, four WCC, 1 adult physical, 8 sick patients and three new patients with various concerns... I should have had about 8 hours or more for this patient load... As per their template, visits are scheduled every 20 min with doubles in some slots (to allow for no show and cancellations) up to 24 or 26 max. On that date visits averaged 20 min per client when all was said and done and that is not including the charting I did at home later...

Since this is the expectation clearly at the new clinic (same company) and they are asking me to give them a template for my day (they will tell me how many WCC, Physicals and f/u visits I should be seeing to be sure patient loads are evenly distributed among providers) I wanted to come up with a reasonable answer that would hopefully set me up for success.

As soon as I have the numbers of WCC/physicals and f/u visits I will apply some of these figures and see how best to arrange the mix...

Thank you for your help/comments!

DO NOT CHART AT HOME AND DO NOT CHART FOR FREE.

Your work time should be paid and include admin time.

I beg you not to start charting at home as a normal thing they expect - BAD habit and precedent. 

Work schedules cannot be 100% patient care - it just doesn't make sense.

Archived