Health Care Experiences - ER Intake?

Help me understand...

There are CNAs out there who have to do tasks which are unappealing (but someone's gotta do it, right?), however, you feel that since you are academically qualified (or have some academic potential) that you should be excluded from this, or that it's not a great fit for you?

You strike me as a young, naive and impatient person. Many of us here have degrees, even graduate degrees. For me, doing the dirty work is paying my dues. If you can't grasp this concept then you seriously think you're too good for certain health care related tasks, regardless of you feeling that you're not degrading these people (who perform tasks which are not academically to your liking).

You simply don't have the time to go through these traditional certification routes? That's really too bad. I'm sorry you're in such a rush, but I hope you eventually learn that you can grow a lot with the responsibilities and jobs you have over the years and that maturity counts for a lot. If there are tasks which you don't want to do, especially for the reasons that you listed, what does this imply about how you view teamwork?

X2

Took the words out of my mouth.

Help me understand...

There are CNAs out there who have to do tasks which are unappealing (but someone's gotta do it, right?), however, you feel that since you are academically qualified (or have some academic potential) that you should be excluded from this, or that it's not a great fit for you?

You strike me as a young, naive and impatient person. Many of us here have degrees, even graduate degrees. For me, doing the dirty work is paying my dues. If you can't grasp this concept then you seriously think you're too good for certain health care related tasks, regardless of you feeling that you're not degrading these people (who perform tasks which are not academically to your liking).

You simply don't have the time to go through these traditional certification routes? That's really too bad. I'm sorry you're in such a rush, but I hope you eventually learn that you can grow a lot with the responsibilities and jobs you have over the years and that maturity counts for a lot. If there are tasks which you don't want to do, especially for the reasons that you listed, what does this imply about how you view teamwork?

X2

Took the words out of my mouth.

Independent Duty Corpsmen, who are the sole medical provider for Navy warships, don't get a free ride to PA school

Medics, fresh from the front lines of two active wars don't get a free ride to PA school

Paramedics who are working with some of the sickest patients in some of their most acute stages, in some of the strangest places, don't get a free ride

RN's don't get a ride...

My point? It's really hard to read some bit about "i've taken 12 leads and read x rays. There is a HUGE difference between staring at an X ray or 12 lead and guessing what's in front of them and actually being accurate with the read.

You are in this fired up rush to get in...despite the power of the Mayan calendar, I really doubt that the world is ending this year. Why the rush?

Good luck in your search but there is a reason why you always hear "be a tech/emt/cna" speech...not only do they get some great exposure to medicine, they also learn some humility. Both are irreplaceable.

Independent Duty Corpsmen, who are the sole medical provider for Navy warships, don't get a free ride to PA school

Medics, fresh from the front lines of two active wars don't get a free ride to PA school

Paramedics who are working with some of the sickest patients in some of their most acute stages, in some of the strangest places, don't get a free ride

RN's don't get a ride...

My point? It's really hard to read some bit about "i've taken 12 leads and read x rays. There is a HUGE difference between staring at an X ray or 12 lead and guessing what's in front of them and actually being accurate with the read.

You are in this fired up rush to get in...despite the power of the Mayan calendar, I really doubt that the world is ending this year. Why the rush?

Good luck in your search but there is a reason why you always hear "be a tech/emt/cna" speech...not only do they get some great exposure to medicine, they also learn some humility. Both are irreplaceable.

medex Yakima classroom experience...lets see...

Joe , Lindsey Erin

matt, john, david

Steve, Steve, Mike

Heather, shelly ,joe

robbie jim

Oren Murdad, Raul

Rob Annie Melissa

Nate Rob Reese

Truman john

I'm a little foggy after taking some night time meds but by writing out their names in their seats I can start some adding up the collectives...in our class of 25 students I am counting approx 80 years of collective paramedic experience, 62 years of collective military experience, 25 years of registered nursing, 10 years CT tech, 10 years ER tech ,23 years of surgical experience and John, our sleep study guru with five years, and Merdad, our foreign med grad with 8 years of experience but is a refugee from Iran, so he could not recover his credentials to become a US Doc.

When I showed up for the open house I thought "I think I should do well on my application" When I left the open house, after meeting all my competition, I thought "holy cow I hope I get an invite to interview".

I know the OP doesn't want to fall into the trap having to follow the "traditional path" but it is these sort of folks who are also applying PA schools. These are the sort of PAs while will be graduating and you'll be competing with for a job (yes, most of them are on the Dean's list again this quarter) Not only are we smart, we also bring experience. The oldest in class is 56, the youngest is 27. We took our time with our approach to PA school and made sure we're gonna be able to blow the doors off any HR office we want once we pass our PANCE. There are benefits to taking your time and doing it right.

medex Yakima classroom experience...lets see...

Joe , Lindsey Erin

matt, john, david

Steve, Steve, Mike

Heather, shelly ,joe

robbie jim

Oren Murdad, Raul

Rob Annie Melissa

Nate Rob Reese

Truman john

I'm a little foggy after taking some night time meds but by writing out their names in their seats I can start some adding up the collectives...in our class of 25 students I am counting approx 80 years of collective paramedic experience, 62 years of collective military experience, 25 years of registered nursing, 10 years CT tech, 10 years ER tech ,23 years of surgical experience and John, our sleep study guru with five years, and Merdad, our foreign med grad with 8 years of experience but is a refugee from Iran, so he could not recover his credentials to become a US Doc.

When I showed up for the open house I thought "I think I should do well on my application" When I left the open house, after meeting all my competition, I thought "holy cow I hope I get an invite to interview".

I know the OP doesn't want to fall into the trap having to follow the "traditional path" but it is these sort of folks who are also applying PA schools. These are the sort of PAs while will be graduating and you'll be competing with for a job (yes, most of them are on the Dean's list again this quarter) Not only are we smart, we also bring experience. The oldest in class is 56, the youngest is 27. We took our time with our approach to PA school and made sure we're gonna be able to blow the doors off any HR office we want once we pass our PANCE. There are benefits to taking your time and doing it right.

the only connection between a cna and a doctor or pa might be the fact that they both care for a vulnurable soul in thier charge, but that might be the most important aspect of hce for a program to look for. hce is a good way to demonstrate a genuine commitment to care, and an aptitude for responsibility.

thanks for this. You definitely get it(even if you are a lab guy...:) )

the only connection between a cna and a doctor or pa might be the fact that they both care for a vulnurable soul in thier charge, but that might be the most important aspect of hce for a program to look for. hce is a good way to demonstrate a genuine commitment to care, and an aptitude for responsibility.

thanks for this. You definitely get it(even if you are a lab guy...:) )

Irgogl... unless you have been diagnosed with a terminal illness, you have time to get a certification. You are just choosing not to do it. There is a big difference. Very specifically you have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year to get a certification. Now you may have other priorities that you are putting ahead of getting a certificate, but you are choosing those priorities.

And while I may disagree on the fine details about HCE with some forum members, I absolutely agree that HCE is vitally important in the grand scheme of becoming a PA. I can't imagine what it would be like starting PA school without having ever been RESPONSIBLE for a patient. Responsibility for a patient comes in all shapes and sizes, but the bottom line is, even the smallest amount of responsibility in the health care setting can mean somebody's life is in your hands. Without having experienced that, even in its entry level forms, it would be very difficult for somebody to convince me that they are ready to go to PA school and in 2 short years be ready for all the responsibility that the profession entails. I'm sure that there are people that CAN do it without prior experience, but with limited seats and many applicants, adcoms aren't really much into the guessing game.

Archived