Sign in to follow this  
cfran

Recommendation letters -Academic

Hi, 

I'm applying for the first time this cycle and I currently work as a medical assistant and could get some strong letters of reference from an NP,  MD, and a practice manager. I go to a large school for undergrad and haven't gotten close to any professors. I took microbiology last semester and went to my professors office hours 3 times, and since I have no one else I asked her if she would be willing to write a letter. She said she would if she I needed an professor to write one, and if I did not have another professor who knew me better. 

So my question is... since she doesn't know me very well, would it still be worth getting a letter from her just because it would be an academic letter, or would it be more valuable to get a clinical reference listed above that can speak much more about my work ethic, character, etc?

Thanks in advance! 

Did you possibly have any TAs that you were close to that could attest to your academic achievements? Certainly, they could write you letters of rec. If not, I'd personally go for the professional references. You want to try your best to avoid mediocre letters if at all possible (that is, unless any of your programs require a letter from a professor).

• Upvote 1

Some schools require a letter from a professor, so if you're in that boat with where you plan to apply, I'd recommend reaching back out to this professor if you think they're your best bet and ask if you can meet with them or have lunch so they can get to know you a little better. Or maybe if it just has to be academic, if you have an academic advisor you know better that you could use that may be a good alternative. You don't want to get a reference from someone who won't have anything to write about you, so definitely seek out the best possible people if you're not restricted to certain types of references for your schools.

• Upvote 1

If the schools you're applying to don't require an LOR from a professor, don't use one.  It's better to get good LORs than a 'variety' just for variety's sake.  

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Pdom73
      I'm a PA student, and I'm getting ready to choose my elective clinical rotations. I get to choose two. As a practicing PA, are there two in particular that you would recommend?

Thanks!
    • By lmrf2613
      Hey everyone!
      I am a currently as senior Biology major, getting ready to graduate this upcoming December. I'm starting to get everything together for the CAPSA application that is getting ready to open up. I'm been stressed a lot about whether or not I will be able to get into PA school so I wanted some input on if I have a chance of getting in.

I currently have a 3.96 GPA and if everything goes as planned I should be able to graduate with at least a 3.9. All of my prerequisite courses for PA school are done and I made A's in all of them except for 1 B (Ochem 1 lecture).

As far as "clinical experience" I have about 500 hours as an ER scribe but no actual hands on patient care. I am trying to volunteer at a local clinic which will allow me to take vitals etc to at least give me a little more experience. I am going to be completing a shadowing program this summer that will be around 120 hours, although I will only be shadowing physicians. If anyone has gotten into PA school with only scribing and shadowing hours please let me know!

I haven't been able to shadow a PA yet and I was wondering how crucial this was to the application process. I have a strong recommendation letter that I can get from one of my professors but I'm not sure what to do about the other 2.

Also, for those of you that have been scribes in the past have you asked the doctors you have worked with for recommendation letters or your chief scribe? I was just curious.

Sorry for all the details and questions. I've just been really stressed out about this lately and wanted to hear from others who have gone through or are going through the process. I am planning on applying to Methodist university, East Carolina University, Eastern Virginia Medical School and possibly South University. If anyone has any schools they know of that accept scribing hours please let me know!
    • By meimonster
      I'm a recent grad and am looking for my first job. One place called and asked me if I had my letters of recommendations ready. She said "Just for future, you should have these on hand." This caught me off guard. Should I have these done before even applying for any jobs? Should the letters of recommendation be generalized or specific to the job I am applying for? Does this mean I have to ask my references for new letters of recommendations for every job I apply for? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!  
    • By Sirpaul1990
      Hi all, 

I'm trying to compile a nice list of guidelines and recommendations used by PAs for clinical practice. I'm utilizing many of our lectures as a start as many of them list references to these sites. Some of these specialities I do not have lots of content or any at all. This list would be very useful to newly graduated PAs and PA students on rotation. Thanks - all who contribute will be cited as sources for the article. 

http://www.uptodate.com
      http://www.jointcommission.org/

Immunization and Pediatrics
      2015 Immunization Schedule for Children and Adolescents - The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) published an updated immunization schedule for children and teens on January 26, 2015.

Dermatology

HEENT

Pulmonology

Cardiology
      2013 AHA/ACC Obesity Guidelines
      2013 Nutrition Therapy Recommendations for the Management of Adults with Diabetes
      2013 AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk

Gastroenterology
      2011 Screening Recommendations for Barrett’s Esophagus (American Gastroenterological Association)
      American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD)
      American Liver Foundation (ALF)
      European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL)
      Celiac Disease Foundation
      IDSA Practice Guidelines for the Management of Infectious Diarrhea (Infectious Disease Society of America)

Neurology
      Headaches and Migraine Therapy (American Headache Society)
      The International Classification of Headache Disorders-II (ICHD-II)
      4th Zurich Guidelines (2012) - treatment for concussion in sports
      Concussion in Youth Sports (CDC) - Information for athletes, parents, and coaches
      American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
      All Guidelines
      Recent Guidelines
      2010 Revised McDonald Criteria for Diagnosing Multiple Sclerosis
      Stroke Statements and Guidelines (American Heart Association)
      ABCD-2 Score (National Stroke Association)
      NIH Stroke Scale
      Joint Commission Stroke Core Measures
      Management of Intracranial Hemorrhage (ICH) - American Heart Association
      Hunt and Hess Scale for Acute Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (aSAH)
      Rheumatology
      2012 Update of the 2008 American College of Rheumatology Recommendations for the Use of Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs and Biologic Agents in the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis

Orthopaedics

Endocrinology

Nephrology

Urology

Obstetrics and Gynecology (Women's health)

Surgery

Psychiatry
      Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)

Hematology/Cancer
      Recent Updates to NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology
      National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines for Treatment of Cancer by Site, Guidelines for Detection, Prevention & Risk Reduction, Guidelines for Supportive Care, Guidelines for Age Related Recommendations, Guidelines for Patients
      American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC)
      Cancer Staging Manual
      American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
      American Cancer Society (ACS)
      National Cancer Institute (NCI)

Pharmacology and Controlled Substances
      Schedules of Controlled Substances - updated and published annually in Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations
      2010 Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis (American College of Rheumatology)
      2005 Annual Report - American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC)

Donation and Transplantation
      United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)

Vitamins, Supplements, and the FDA
      NIH Herbs At a Glance
      Natural Database - unbiased, scientific clinical information on complementary, alternative and integrative therapies
      Medline Plus - information for patients about drugs, herbs, and supplements in lay language provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and NIH
      Dietary Supplements for Weight Loss provided by the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS)
      FDA Dietary Supplements - including reporting an adverse event with a dietary supplement
      Consumer Updates for Dietary Supplements
      Fortify Your Knowledge About Vitamins (FDA)
      Recalls, Market Withdrawals, and Safety Alerts (FDA)
      REMS (FDA)

• By whoRyou
      Hi everyone! I am preparing myself early for o'chem and was wondering if anyone of you could make some recommendations in how to study o'chem? Tips, tricks, books etc

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More