Recommendation letters -Academic

Hi, 

I'm applying for the first time this cycle and I currently work as a medical assistant and could get some strong letters of reference from an NP,  MD, and a practice manager. I go to a large school for undergrad and haven't gotten close to any professors. I took microbiology last semester and went to my professors office hours 3 times, and since I have no one else I asked her if she would be willing to write a letter. She said she would if she I needed an professor to write one, and if I did not have another professor who knew me better. 

So my question is... since she doesn't know me very well, would it still be worth getting a letter from her just because it would be an academic letter, or would it be more valuable to get a clinical reference listed above that can speak much more about my work ethic, character, etc?

Thanks in advance! 

Did you possibly have any TAs that you were close to that could attest to your academic achievements? Certainly, they could write you letters of rec. If not, I'd personally go for the professional references. You want to try your best to avoid mediocre letters if at all possible (that is, unless any of your programs require a letter from a professor).

Some schools require a letter from a professor, so if you're in that boat with where you plan to apply, I'd recommend reaching back out to this professor if you think they're your best bet and ask if you can meet with them or have lunch so they can get to know you a little better. Or maybe if it just has to be academic, if you have an academic advisor you know better that you could use that may be a good alternative. You don't want to get a reference from someone who won't have anything to write about you, so definitely seek out the best possible people if you're not restricted to certain types of references for your schools.

Archived