For those with a low GPA, read this.

I just want to encourage those of you who have a low GPA and want to become a PA. Here’s a little bit about me. I applied twice to PA school. The first time I applied, I applied to 12 schools and didn’t get an interview invite from any of them. My cGPA during the first cycle was around d 2.88 and my sGPA was around a 3.2. I had rough start to my college career. My GRE scores were horrible- less than 140 on both the quantitative and qualitative. After my rejection, I retook the GRE. I ended up getting 151 on the qualitative, 147 on the quantitative, and 3.0 writing. I retook two of my prerequisite classes, both of which I had C’s in. The grades I got in those classes was an A, and one B. I Also took another biology class just to add a little more to my GPA. Even with my improvements, I still didn’t fully believe that I could compete with the stellar applicants on this forum. I guess one of things that I had going for me as it concerned my GPA is that there was an upward trend. Over the last 100 or so credit hours, I went hard. I averaged somewhere around a 3.5 cGPA—this included the later semesters of my undergrad work as well as my post-bacc—but still my cGPA remained at below 3.0

As many of you know, low GPA’s aren’t appealing to schools. Many of you are wondering what can you do to stand out amongst the crowd of those with damn near 4.0 GPA’s. Here’s my advice, go to the open houses!!!!! Almost every school that I’ve applied to has an open house meeting. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to meet with the admission faculty. By attending, you become more than just an applicant, you become an actual person. When you go, make sure you dress and act as though you were on an actual interview. You are being watched the entire time by both the faculty and students. Make sure you speak well and look good. Buy a new suit…but not a black one. Black is a common color that people wear to the open houses and interview. Remember, your goal is to stand out, so details are important.

This advice my friends is what I believe contributed to my admission into PA school. Of course, my hard work over my last 100 credit hours played a major part too. So I guess my point in all this is to push as hard as you can to help resolve the mistakes that you may have made in your earlier college days and go for the gold!!

My last bit of advice is to not allow yourselves to be filled with doubt. I was disheartened to read some of the replies to the posts on this fourm where PA applicants asked if they had a chance of getting accepted to PA school with stats that were similar to mine. Some people were advised by members of this fourm that they had no chance, and I couldn't disagree more. This opportunity is yours for the taking. Don't accept someone on a blog site telling you that you don't have what it takes. Blessinga to you all.

I really needed this little bit of inspiration! Thank you for taking the time to write and tell your story. Mine is very similar, and lately the anxiety of, "not being good enough," has really been sneaking in, unwarranted. I'm not applying until next round, but will definitely use this advice to put myself out there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Funny story. I went to a tour of a school. Everyone was in shorts and jeans. They looked like they were going to the mall. I stood out in business casual with leather shoes, slacks, and a long sleeve shirt on. I am not sure how people can be so casual. Even at work there is a dress code of slacks and a polo shirt, tucked in of course, and no logos or advertisements. Being older, it was just what I am used to. I thought about wearing a tie but as they told me no suit or tie was needed when I called to confirm my place in the tour, I compromised.

I'm a 23 year old senior in undergrad and have a 3.13 GPA. I've been a medical assistant for almost a year now and have some volunteer hours in the bag. With everyone racing against time to get into PA schools, nursing schools and med schools, it's been so incredibly stressful and disheartening to see such high stats for admission. This post and everyone's positive feedback has been such a blessing!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

8 hours ago, karebear12892 said:

Couldn't agree more! I was accepted to multiple PA schools the first time I applied with a GPA of 3.15. Anyone who says it can't be done is lying to you. Grades are important but they aren't everything. 

Thank you so much for your post! I'm struggling with a cGPA of 3.26 and sGPA of 3.28. Then I read a post that said that most schools weed out anyone under a 3.3 and became incredibly disheartened. prerequisite GPA and last 60 hours GPA are over 3.5 though. The other aspect of my application is great! May I ask which schools you were accepted to? 

9 hours ago, abp_520 said:

Thank you so much for your post! I'm struggling with a cGPA of 3.26 and sGPA of 3.28. Then I read a post that said that most schools weed out anyone under a 3.3 and became incredibly disheartened. prerequisite GPA and last 60 hours GPA are over 3.5 though. The other aspect of my application is great! May I ask which schools you were accepted to? 

I hardly call those stats struggling. You are too hard on yourself. :p

18 hours ago, boli said:

It's nice to see some positive encouragement in this arena! As you alluded to, this forum is a wonderful resource- but can also be quite disheartening for those of us that took less than ideal paths in college. I'm in a similar situation to you, as my cGPA is a 2.8 but my last 117 credits are a 3.6 (really poor marks 10 years ago). I applied to schools that I believe truly evaluate holistically and sometimes struggle to stay optimistic. Thanks for a little encouragement. Not all of us can be 3.8+ GPA 22 year olds who decided to go PA while still in highschool ;)

You did 117 credits afterwards? That's pretty impressive. You can get a master's and PhD with less credits than that.

Thank you for posting this and everyone for their inputs. I needed this. Fisrt time applying. I've already gotten two rejections both because of gpa. I'm keeping a positive attitude but I feel like I need to apply next cycle.

Ochem not my strongest subject (got Cs) and my last few classes were Ochem heavy so my GPA tanked.  I guess I'll retake ochem at community college and try to to do better and raise the gpa. I'm not sure how much of a difference one or two classes will do. 

I have been gobbling up all of the topics I can find that talk about low GPA applicants. With all the endless talk of what applicants SHOULD do, it's refreshing to see people talk about what we CAN do, especially when we have poor school performance. ;c

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/5/2017 at 8:31 PM, iwillgetaccepted said:

Here’s my advice, go to the open houses!!!!!

This should be written in gold. 

I learned so much about schools while attending these information sessions that they hold. I've seen applicants with 3.8+cum and science GPA get rejected from schools because they did not understand all the pre-reqs required, which are usually clarified at these open houses! (ex. PCE hours didn't count, or wanted an upper level genetics class etc..) 

Furthermore, by attending these information sessions you can learn more about the school you're applying too. Do they focus on urban or rural medicine? Do they look for community service? They usually post previous year acceptance scores. And more importantly, you can tell if they are they truly looking for a holistic applicant, and consider upward trends, community service, PCE etc.. OR they just mainly focus on GPA and GRE scores! 

So yes, attend ALL information sessions at schools you're interested in!! 

There are so many people who get accepted with worse stats.  So much rides on just getting your foot in the door and interviewing to convince the faculty members that you are serious about becoming a PA.  I had a sub 3.0 GPA when I applied and now I've been a PA for a few years now (Chief PA I might add).  Grades don't determine your success as a future PA.  Don't let that discourage you.  Just focus on getting an interview and then rocking it!

22 hours ago, paproof said:

There are so many people who get accepted with worse stats.  So much rides on just getting your foot in the door and interviewing to convince the faculty members that you are serious about becoming a PA.  I had a sub 3.0 GPA when I applied and now I've been a PA for a few years now (Chief PA I might add).  Grades don't determine your success as a future PA.  Don't let that discourage you.  Just focus on getting an interview and then rocking it!

Thank you for the encouragement. I have received 2 rejection letters because of my GPA, waiting on 2 more schools and I pray they look past it. I have worked as a CNA for 9 years, volunteered, and done other community service. I hope to get in soon.  

• 5 months later...
It's nice to see some positive encouragement in this arena! As you alluded to, this forum is a wonderful resource- but can also be quite disheartening for those of us that took less than ideal paths in college. I'm in a similar situation to you, as my cGPA is a 2.8 but my last 117 credits are a 3.6 (really poor marks 10 years ago). I applied to schools that I believe truly evaluate holistically and sometimes struggle to stay optimistic. Thanks for a little encouragement. Not all of us can be 3.8+ GPA 22 year olds who decided to go PA while still in highschool ;)

Hi Bloi!

I’m definitely in a similar situation that you were in before getting accepted into PA school. I plan on taking some time off to re do prerequisites for that GPA boost. I’m wondering though, which schools you looked into / applied towards that took a more holistic overview? I’d love to know which ones! :) It really is relieving to see that all hope is not lost despite a low GPA!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 10:13 PM, karebear12892 said:

Couldn't agree more! I was accepted to multiple PA schools the first time I applied with a GPA of 3.15. Anyone who says it can't be done is lying to you. Grades are important but they aren't everything. 

That is great to hear! Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to?

Please stay encouraged. I started the journey to PA school ten years ago. I am 40 years old now. I was just accepted after applying three times. If you want it and willing to do what it takes to get it, God is faithful to provide. The rejections hurt but it makes the acceptance that much better. Be the best you, you can be and refrain from comparing yourself to others. Honestly, how do we know the stats are not embellished? Go get what belongs to you!!!

• 4 months later...

Just want to give a little piece of encouragement.  I didn't necessarily believe this 100% going through the process, but some of the best advice I was given before my interview was "believe."  The admissions committees can definitely sense when you present yourself confidently. And find a mentor(s) who believes, supports, and encourages you. I can't give enough credit to how important this last part is. Apply strategically.  Made it into one of my top choice program during my first cycle and you all can too. 

Archived