Recent VA Vocational Rehab Program Users?

Hello all,

Was wondering if there are some PA students who have recently gone through the VA Voc Rehab program process.  I'm currently active duty and will retire in 2020.  I plan on applying during the 2019-20 cycle and I'm looking at funding options.

I'm pretty sure I will meet the 20% disability for several related issues (Degenerative Disc Disease due to parachuting, hearing lose, Morton's Neuroma) but am not sure how to present to the counselors that I should be approved for this benefit.  I do have about 26 months of post 9/11 GI Bill remaining, but would rather give that to my children if possible.

Would like to chat with some fellow vets who have gone through the process recently.

Thanks.

Drew Cook

Plenty of threads on the VA in the military area. I would also encourage you to purchase the Voc Rehab Survival Guide for Veterans by Benjamin Krause, JD ... it will save you a ton of re-work. I used it and had no problems getting Voc Rehab to finish paying my bachelors.

I got out in 2010, finished my BS, and had about 15 months of 9/11 left over before I applied, I graduate PA school this Decemeber.  They easily approved me for VocRehab, all you need is 20% disability and you have to prove to them that you cannot get a job with your current education.    I was a kinesiology major so it was pretty easy for me.  I applied to a couple clinics to work as an MA and they all denied me, I told them my situation and asked for a written letter.  One ortho Doc even asked me to reapply after I graduate.  After you submit that info, you have to submit additional info showing PA job openings in your area.  It's all pretty easy, just redundant, you might aggravate your back jumping through all the hoops.  Choose your wording carefully, if your VA disability rating says you can't stand for long periods of time you need to emphasize that PA's also work behind a desk etc.  VocRehab has been great for me, not so much for others.  They pay tuition, BAH allowance, computer, and they give you a stipend after you graduate to help tie you over.  

VocRehab is meant for entry level training, so be prepared to sell yourself, you need to have good grades and show up prepared.  They probably would have dropped my benefits if I did not get in the first time as well, so keep that in mind.  Be prepared to talk to a counsellor that has BA in some lame study and wants to do the absolute least to help you out.  You will have to educate them on what a PA, what the education entails, and how they work in the medical environment.  Sorry for being all over the place, my brain is shot due to studying for a PAEA EOR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Voc Rehab is paying for my PA school, so it's possible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's awesome to hear. I have a question, if I get a BSN in nursing will that ruin my chances at using voc rehab for PA school? PA is my ultimate goal, but I have 0 HCE so I was going to major in nursing to gain the HCE. however, being the nature of the voc rehab program, it sounds like no counsellor would allow me to use it for PA if I have a skill in nursing?

That's awesome to hear. I have a question, if I get a BSN in nursing will that ruin my chances at using voc rehab for PA school? PA is my ultimate goal, but I have 0 HCE so I was going to major in nursing to gain the HCE. however, being the nature of the voc rehab program, it sounds like no counsellor would allow me to use it for PA if I have a skill in nursing?

This will for sure stop you from getting it. i am currently in PA school and used to be and LVN. I tried applying for it, but because I was an LVN they said it was not a career change so it wont help my disability. I was denied it. I still have most of my GI bill so it didnt really affect me that much, but if you're relying on that it may be a mistake. 

Archived