Anyone with sub 3.0 get into PA school? Do I have a shot?

I have a 3.0 and 2.8 science gpa did a post bac receiving a 3.2 in both cum/sci gpa. I have over 2k hours as a CA. I have lots of various community service hours around the clinic and worked various jobs that was unrelated to healthcare. I am preparing for the GRE right now and hopefully I could get a decent score. Was wondering if anyone was able to get into a program with sub par stats and what are my chances looking like? Has anyone been able to get into a program with sub par stats similar to mines? 

• Upvote 2

I had a 3.01 undergrad, 4.0 in grad work (~12 credits), 3,000 hrs as an MA, 2,000 hrs as a scribe, 1,000 hrs of volunteer work (something I personally value), and a mid-high GRE score. I applied to 8 schools, interviewed at two, accepted outright at one, and waitlisted/eventually accepted to the other. I applied to schools that seemed to value 'whole picture' applicants, and prepared intensely for the interview. It is possible! 

• Upvote 3

No. There is very little chance you will get in. Harsh, but that's the way it's working. A 3.2 from years ago and a 3.97 in postbac got me in... but wouldn't today.

Well I got accepted this year with a 2.8 overall so don't shoot down OP's hopes yet. It wouldn't hurt to apply. All you need is an interview to get you accepted. I would study hard and do exceptionally well on the GRE.

I applied at 4 schools, interviewed 2, rejected one school and accepted the other here in socal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Administrator

Why wouldn't a strong post bac get you in today? 

Because I'm seeing people with 3.5-3.8 cumulative. My cumulative was only 3.3, and while I had a lot of cool experiences, nothing would that would set me apart.  My EMT total hours were only 2,000 at time of application.

Guest HanSolo

The main issue with a low GPA, especially a low post-bacc GPA, is that you will be viewed as an academic liability. PA school isn't the time to learn study habits. Think of it from their point of view. Why would a program admit someone that might affect their attrition rate? Sure, there are success stories. It's also good to be realistic about where you stand. It will be an uphill battle. Best of luck and keep us all in the loop. Hopefully you can surprise us all with a wonderful success story. 

• Administrator

Well I got accepted this year with a 2.8 overall so don't shoot down OP's hopes yet. 

Awesome! As George F. Will once remarked "The nice thing about being a pessimist is that I'm either right, or pleasantly surprised".

In your case, however, I suspect there was a remarkable amount of HCE behind that acceptance that the OP did not mention in his post.

I have a 3.0 and 2.8 science gpa did a post bac receiving a 3.2 in both cum/sci gpa. I have over 2k hours as a CA. I have lots of various community service hours around the clinic and worked various jobs that was unrelated to healthcare. I am preparing for the GRE right now and hopefully I could get a decent score. Was wondering if anyone was able to get into a program with sub par stats and what are my chances looking like? Has anyone been able to get into a program with sub par stats similar to mines?

I got accepted with a cGpa of 2.9. GPA isn't everything. My advice to you, as this is the advice I have given many, is to attend the open house meetings of the programs that you want to attend. There at the open houses, you'll have the opportunity to meet with the admission faculty--this lends a great opportunity for you to sell yourself and explain your application in person. Don't give up! I have been where you are and I made it, despite people telling me I had no chance. I will say however, my cGPA was an upward trend, over the last 100 or so credit hours I did very well. Hopefully you have an upward trend as well. It probably wouldn't hurt to retake some of those science classes as well this summer if you can. Try to get the sGPA up a little more. Lastly, study the GRE practice material and do your best! Blessings to you!!!

• Administrator

Hopefully you have an upward trend as well.

Note that the OP stated a 3.2 GPA in the Postbacc.  That's specifically NOT a sufficiently upward trend, and part of my pessimistic response.  A solid 3.9+ in recent classes made up for a mediocre past GPA in my case.

I had a 3.01 undergrad, 4.0 in grad work (~12 credits), 3,000 hrs as an MA, 2,000 hrs as a scribe, 1,000 hrs of volunteer work (something I personally value), and a mid-high GRE score. I applied to 8 schools, interviewed at two, accepted outright at one, and waitlisted/eventually accepted to the other. I applied to schools that seemed to value 'whole picture' applicants, and prepared intensely for the interview. It is possible! 

If you don't mind sharing what schools those are?  I'm kind of a similar applicant to you :)

thank you!!!  (PM please so I don't lose this information? - I really appreciate it!!)

I got accepted with a cGpa of 2.9. GPA isn't everything. My advice to you, as this is the advice I have given many, is to attend the open house meetings of the programs that you want to attend. There at the open houses, you'll have the opportunity to meet with the admission faculty--this lends a great opportunity for you to sell yourself and explain your application in person. Don't give up! I have been where you are and I made it, despite people telling me I had no chance. I will say however, my cGPA was an upward trend, over the last 100 or so credit hours I did very well. Hopefully you have an upward trend as well. It probably wouldn't hurt to retake some of those science classes as well this summer if you can. Try to get the sGPA up a little more. Lastly, study the GRE practice material and do your best! Blessings to you!!!

Hey i willgetaccepted, 

Which schools did you apply to and got interviews? Which schools accepted you? 

Awesome! As George F. Will once remarked "The nice thing about being a pessimist is that I'm either right, or pleasantly surprised".

In your case, however, I suspect there was a remarkable amount of HCE behind that acceptance that the OP did not mention in his post.

Well I have been working as a respiratory therapist for 7 years

I also had a post bachelor GPA of 4.0 sorry to mislead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In an applicant pool, a program is going to have to admit the bulk of people who are essentially no risk: high GPAs, no concerns. Depending upon the size of the class, they MIGHT save a seat or two for: "This person's academic record is blemished, but we really like the rest of their story and will give them a chance" type candidates. You need an advocate on the inside for this to work.

Attrition is reported to ARC-PA. A program can't survive filling itself up with nice people who have not proven they can survive.

• Like 1

Just a food for thought. I applied during the 2016-2017 cycle to 9 programs and I have been rejected by 7 already. No acceptance as of yet. However, if I do not get in this round, I'll be attending a 12 month ABSN program and then continue on to MSN or DNP....or re-apply to PA school next year during the 2018-2019 cycle.

• Upvote 1

Just a food for thought. I applied during the 2016-2017 cycle to 9 programs and I have been rejected by 7 already. No acceptance as of yet. However, if I do not get in this round, I'll be attending a 12 month ABSN program and then continue on to MSN or DNP....or re-apply to PA school next year during the 2018-2019 cycle.

What were your stats if you don't mind?

As asked by another member, would you mind listing the schools (on thread, or PM) the schools you applied to? Thank you!

What worked for me in evaluating programs: Look at the RANGE of stats on the program's recent cohorts.  If the values for PCE (or HCE) is clustered around 100, or the GPA clustered around 3.5, or age clustered around 24, etc.; versus RANGING from 100-10K hours, 3.0 to 3.7 pts, 22-42 years, then they are NOT a good fit for someone that is an outlier from their "norm".  

Don't "chase" one school because someone else got in there.  Do your research and see if the school, overall, is a fit for you; and that includes their educational approach, their clinical rotations, their location, their cost, their 1st time PANCE pass rates, their attrition rates, etc. ... in no particular order ... ALL are considerations depending on what's important for you to succeed.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, dragonfruit28 said:

Hey dragonfruit28, congratulation on your success. Do mind sharing the schools that you applied and accepted please?

• 11 months later...
On 4/8/2017 at 7:54 AM, Diggy said:

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I just want to ask what was your stats and which nursing schools did you apply to? 

As an update, did you choose DNP/DNP path or PA? Thank you