# of Patients per day (Calling ALL DERM PAs)

Hello,

I am a Derm PA and I have just completed my 90 day mark. My transition has ran quite smoothly thus far and I am now seeing patients on my own (30 min intervals for now). Although I am pretty comfortable going at this pace, my supervising physician has been trying to convince me to start seeing patients every 15mins now. Just curious, how many patients do you guys see a day? How long was your inital training period before you were allowed to see your own patients? Is 3 months for a new grad unreasonable to start seeing patients every 15 minutes? I feel like maybe I should be offered an incentive bonus of some sort. The question that follows however is...how much and how would I determine that amount?

3 month new grad

no matter what field 30 min is okay,  15 min is not...

you need to be reading reading reading and asking WAY more questions then you need to, they are still slow as death at charting...

8 hour day, 30min is 16 patients a day

$60/patient is almost $1000/day income

$5000 per week

your pay is about 1/2 that so all is okay

you should however try to speed up

by one year I would say you productivity should be up (how high i have no idea, I don't do derm)

• 4 months later...
On 4/3/2017 at 7:50 PM, ventana said:

3 month new grad

no matter what field 30 min is okay,  15 min is not...

you need to be reading reading reading and asking WAY more questions then you need to, they are still slow as death at charting...

8 hour day, 30min is 16 patients a day

$60/patient is almost $1000/day income

$5000 per week

your pay is about 1/2 that so all is okay

you should however try to speed up

by one year I would say you productivity should be up (how high i have no idea, I don't do derm)

I know I'm late but thanks so much for your reply! Your feedback was truly helpful. I realized my post was a bit misleading as I failed to mention that I was originally templated to see no more than about 10-12 patients a day at 30min intervals post 90 day training period over an 8hr day. (I also used to be a Medical/Surgical Derm MA x 5yrs pre PA school--so Derm is familiar territory for me)

Since that last post, I am now averaging about 16-22 patients per day mostly at 15min intervals with some 30min interval exceptions (although SP is now pushing for at least 25 per day--and I've still only been with the practice less than a yr)

my follow up questions are:

how did you determine the "$60/patient" price point?

And if I were to ask for an incentive bonus, what would be a reasonable asking price?

• 2 weeks later...

15 minute intervals are not unreasonable for derm.  I did 3 months of training and then started 15 min intervals.  I'm now double booked in some of those and can have 35 patients on my schedule each day between 8:15-11:30 and 1:00-4:15 (3 years experience at this point, but been at that point for over a year right now.) This seems to be about the standard for most of my colleagues as well. And typically any "incentive bonus" would be a percentage of your collections that would be part of your contract, and not really based on the number of patients you're seeing. Hope that makes sense. 

Archived