PAcandidate7002

Have Rotations. Need a Program.

7 posts in this topic

I am very interested in setting up my own rotations.  I have rotation options in every specialty where I live. Does anyone know of a school that would allow me to set up 100% of my own rotations, instead of assigning them to me?

Absolutely not.

There is a great deal of vetting that goes into rotations (not just willingness of a preceptor) and the school is responsible for verifying that it meets a whole list of criteria.  There is no way a program would undertake the task of doing 6-8 (or however many) for a single student.

Most programs usually do allow a small handful of 'self-ID' rotations but usually 1-3.  

No.  As above, it's a good 6-8 weeks of work for lawyers and stuff to get insurance and contracts done.  

We were offered one self-ID with 6-month minimum lead time.  Not all were approved by both preceptor and program.

I set up 10 of my 12 rotations which were out of state from my program in NV. They gave me 1 family med rotation I didn't want and I couldn't find my own obgyn rotation because I'm a male and preceptors prefer females for pelvics. The rest of the rotations I sourced and have since created opportunities for students after me who desire to rotate in my area (SoCal).

My nephew's high school offers both a 2 hr clinical rotations and 1 hr pharmacy tech.
Both allow him to get his pharmacy technician certification by the end of the year.

Idaho State University is very open to allowing students to set up their rotations. I believe they would let you set up all of them but if you have questions, the office staff is very transparent and helpful.