University of Charleston Physician Assistant Program Application Cycle Opens

Just FYI, we opened up our application cycle today! We do not participate in CASPA so you will have to apply through our online application portal. Click here for the link to our program's home page.

We believe in an active and collaborative learner-centered approach to education. This is reflected in our program vision:

Our vision is to foster a culture of learning by employing innovative educational strategies and a team-based approach within a supportive environment and to provide an application-based curriculum centered on critical principles of health and disease.

Some highlights of our program?

• Strong emphasis in basic sciences initially to provide fundamentals required to become great clinicians
  • Synthesized modular-based curriculum challenging students through cases and interactive experiences to solve problems
  • Pass/fail system intentionally structured to reinforce collaboration and decrease competition amongst students
  • Ten rotations including a hospitalist rotation and elective rotation

To gain a greater appreciation on my philosophy of education, read the blog post I wrote when I took the job as program director by clicking here. I encourage all who are interested to apply! Charleston, WV is a great little city with excellent community medical resources!

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate. Feel free to ask me through this thread or via email at davidpayne@ucwv.edu

David Payne PA-C

Program Director, University of Charleston PA Program

Founder and President, Physician-Assistant-ED.com

Just FYI, we opened up our application cycle today! We do not participate in CASPA so you will have to apply through our online application portal. Click here for the link to our program's home page.

We believe in an active and collaborative learner-centered approach to education. This is reflected in our program vision:

Our vision is to foster a culture of learning by employing innovative educational strategies and a team-based approach within a supportive environment and to provide an application-based curriculum centered on critical principles of health and disease.

Some highlights of our program?

• Strong emphasis in basic sciences initially to provide fundamentals required to become great clinicians
  • Synthesized modular-based curriculum challenging students through cases and interactive experiences to solve problems
  • Pass/fail system intentionally structured to reinforce collaboration and decrease competition amongst students
  • Ten rotations including a hospitalist rotation and elective rotation

To gain a greater appreciation on my philosophy of education, read the blog post I wrote when I took the job as program director by clicking here. I encourage all who are interested to apply! Charleston, WV is a great little city with excellent community medical resources!

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate. Feel free to ask me through this thread or via email at davidpayne@ucwv.edu

David Payne PA-C

Program Director, University of Charleston PA Program

Founder and President, Physician-Assistant-ED.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This program is really exciting to me as well! I am in the process of filling out my app as we speak. I currently live in texas but but my entire family is from the Beckley area and currently still live there and I've really been wanting to get back to my roots. Just hoping PA school will be the reason I get to do that! Anyone else applying to the program?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This comes off of the UC website: "PLEASE NOTE: The application cycle for the inaugural class matriculating in January 2013 opened on February 1st, 2012. In order for application materials to be considered, all required application materials must be received by October 1st, 2012." Contact Pam Carden @pamcarden@ucwv.edu, she is very helpful with the whole application process. I have been offered a seat in this program, and know from first hand experience that she will do all that she can to help you out! Hope that this helps, and GOOD LUCK!!

Archived