Walgreens not recognizing PA's.

Just called in a script for a pt to a local Walgreens and got the message "For providers, such as Doctors and Nurse Practitioners, press 2". either I haven't taken the time to listen to the message before or this is an oversight of this specific Walgreens.

Either way I called in the script and then told the pharmacist that the message was very poorly worded and excluded PAs, so he should probably have it updated. We will see if that ever happens.

No problems with Walgreen's around me except too much time on hold if you actually WANT to talk to someone.

No history of problems here except the rare pharmacist (at various pharmacies) who tells a patient NOT to take a med for some inane reason but never talks to us.

Interesting - I thought they would be uniform nationally.

• 3 weeks later...

PAFT addressed this issue recently with Walgreens and they indicated understanding of the issue and are working on it. Their system is broadly based.Part of it is controlled regionally and part nationally. It seems simple but it is a little more difficult to fix. Here is the response I received:

Bryan, Jan - an hour ago

Brett, this is a relatively simple thing to change. Here's the existing prompt.
OK, if you're a provider - like a doctor or a nurse practitioner, just press the pound key. <pause> Now, you can say Refill a prescription, Prescription status, Get the pharmacy hours, or say Help me with something else.

New verbiage will be:
OK, if you're a provider - like a doctor, a nurse practitioner, or a physician's assistant just press the pound key. <pause> Now, you can say Refill a prescription, Prescription status, Get the pharmacy hours, or say Help me with something else.

It'll take about two weeks to get the change made.

FYI - this verbiage has been something that we have literally spent hours fine-tuning in multiple conversations over the last two years. We've tried to strike a balance between being succinct, informative, and correct. If you craft a sentence like that too long, all of the callers who are NOT providers tend to get annoyed because this has nothing to do with them and why do they have to listen to this long message before they can get to their business.

Also, if you follow up with Mr. Stegall, please also let him know that Walgreens User Experience and Customer Insights team is holding a pair of user experience test sessions in late April that is specific to our provider population. Based on what we learn from those sessions, it is likely that this verbiage will change again. We'll do our best to be as inclusive, succinct, and correct as possible.

Thank you,

Brett McAnally

Walgreens District Manager 329- Tyler, Tx

1620 South Broadway Tyler, TX 75701

903-278-1680

I will be checking back in a couple of weeks to see how they are progressing and will let everyone know. BTW if you go to their Facebook page and post a complaint you will hear from the regional manager.

Oh... and I corrected them on the 's issue. He thanked me again and said they would fix that as well.

Archived