Hi all,

As a sole practitioner for the past 20 years, I have not had any recent supervisors or school experience to look to for a LOR. I have a solid reference from a PA who is a department head at a major hospital. I have several current and past patients who have work in a professional capacity (medical doctors, lawyers, nurse practitioners, etc). I also have a long time family friend who is a priest who works for the local diocese. The PA school I am looking to apply requires 3 letters of reference and only one needs to be from a PA. I am looking for someone who knows me in a professional capacity. I prefer not to ask a patient but I will if need be. Any suggestions?

What type of solo practitioner are you? Most of us who are in practice have peers who are often called upon to write recommendations for us for hospital privileges, etc. I would shy away from using patients. Consider professors (assuming you have been taking prereqs), peers, and people who can reflect on your character, even if they work in other areas.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

First, I want to mention that I enjoyed reading your book. My wife grew up in Vienna, WV, and went to school at Marietta College. I chose your book because at the age of 46 I am also a non-traditional student.

Thanks so much for your reply to my question about the LOR. I have been a chiropractor for 20+ years in solo practice with my own business. My peers are other chiropractors that I see occasionally at continuing education and health fairs. Also, since going to PA school will require me to close my practice, I don't want to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Chiropractors as whole generally work solo or have an associate working for them.

My question boils down to this; do I need references that will be able to qualify me as a professional in my work environment or will personal references suffice? I have several personal references that have know me for years (a priest, a nurse practitioner, a friend that is a college professor, etc). Regarding my recent education experience, I took a couple of online courses so I did not get to know the instructors very well. The school that I am applying to (Mt. Union in Ohio) is willing to look at my application even though my prerequisites are over 20 years old.

BTW...I am interested in the PA profession because I want to do  more in the healthcare field. After adjusting or 20+ years, I'm looking to be able to do more for patients. The PA profession will allow me the flexibility to pick and choose different areas.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words about the book. I hope it gave you some encouragement to try something new; it’s seldom too late.

I see where you’re coming from. Clearly you have way more HCE as an applicant than anyone I’ve met! That you have a clean record with your state’s medical board (or whatever board licenses you in WV) should suffice to cover you from a professional standpoint.

I would concentrate on people who know you long and well and can speak to the kind of person you are. You friend the professor may be key: hopefully he can talk about your willingness to learn and adapt to new situations. Once question committees sometimes have about us older folks is how well we will adapt to being back in school again. The NP and the priest also sound like good references.

If Mt. Union will look at you with old prereqs, that’s great. Now just to convince them that (1) you understand what a PA does and (2) that an older dog can be taught new tricks!

Best wishes to you and I hope we meet sometime.

• Upvote 1

Great advice. I feel comfortable moving forward. My wife says that my references sound like the beginning of a joke. A priest, a nurse practitioner and a college professor walk into a bar...

I'm going to go for it and very much appreciate your feedback. If you are ever in the Cleveland, Ohio area, let me know.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Habb31719
      I wanted to know if anyone could add any input on this; 
      I had requested a PA for a letter of evaluation. He was happy to agree to give one. I also had sent him a copy of my resume just because I thought that was the appropriate thing to do. 
      last week at work him had mentioned two things... he had brought it up to me that I didn't have my GPA posted on my resume and asked if if I was planning to put it on my resume. he also started asking me things like "do you want me to just not address GPA at all then?". So, for the copy of the resume I had sent to her, I didn't put my GPA in because I didn't think it was going to be helpful (my undergrad is a 3.35 which is not competitive) The whole purpose of sending him a 1 page resume was so that he could know a little more of what I have done in undergrad; like, have a little more amount of information of who I am outside of scribing. (I've been a scribe for about 9 months; about 5 of those months have been heavily involved with this particular PA, so although we haven't had many conversations personally its not like I am a stranger to him 
      The other thing that he requested is if I had personal statement finished. I will sincerely admit, I am quite behind on the application process as my personal statement still has work to do; I told him it's still being written. He asked if she should have a summary of it or something like that so he has more details to flesh out his evaluation letter. 
      I told her I would email her about the GPA issue and the personal statement summary because he was asking out loud in front of the other doctors and employees in the nurses station and I was a little shy to answer. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting him to ask those questions.
      So here is what I was asking: 
      1. Should I have 3.35 on my resume at all? (I was a public health major)
      2. Is giving a personal statement/summary super necessary for you LOR evaluators? Because I really have alot more to do on my PS so I'm not sure how I can make a good summary in a short amount of time to give him; as well as the other evaluators.
    • By Finntastic
      So I'm trying to figure out who I should ask for letters of recommendation for this upcoming application cycle. I know that I could get very solid ones from three people I work under, but they would all be from the same place. I'm wondering if it would be better to ask at least one person away from work for variety, but also in risk of getting a less robust letter...
    • By rpat11394
      Hi guys! This might have been answered previously but if i submit my CASPA to get verified when I still have my third and last LOR pending, will the schools still get to see that LOR?
    • By nikdin
      This will be my first year applying to PA school. I have letters from doctors and management, but I do not have a letter from a science faculty member. Would my medical assistant instructor suffice? Thank you!
    • By pleaseandthankyou
      Hello PA Forum,

I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for specific PA schools considering my following goals and statistics. I would like to apply this summer for 2019 matriculation.

Goals: Ideally I would like to work as a PA in a hospital setting. While I don't quite know my exact area of interest, I prefer primary care, emergency, and internal medicine over surgery. Additionally, I have a strong interest in contributing to research.
      Statistics/Background:
      3.5 cumulative GPA, 3.45 science GPA at a private academic university  159 Verbal (82%tile), 158 Quant (70%tile), 4.5 Writing (82%tile) 9100 hours in paid and volunteering positions in the medical field (almost all clinical research) of which ~2000hrs were direct patient contact. Multiple presentations, with a publication in progress.  Lots of shadowing with multiple medical professionals, but getting more with PAs I meet all prerequisites for most schools, but note I took physio without the lab (although I took anatomy with lab), and I never took a medical terminology course Pretty diverse extra-circulars with leadership roles and teaching experiences Thank you for your insight!
      Best,
      -pleaseandthankyou

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More